IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 F Sport Underpower against Germans?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 10:06 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either way it's a FWD layout, so it's kind of "fake" AWD in my opinion (also many of those FWD-based AWD cars are still very front-power biased in their distribution of power. That may not be the case for Audi or Merc, but I know it is for cars from the likes of Ford and Honda)

but I'm an anti-FWD snob. If the car's crankshaft isn't pointing front to back, then I hate the car. I blame my past of RX-7s, Subarus, and Miatas...
Old 03-13-14, 10:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JGard18
Either way it's a FWD layout, so it's kind of "fake" AWD in my opinion (also many of those FWD-based AWD cars are still very front-power biased in their distribution of power. That may not be the case for Audi or Merc, but I know it is for cars from the likes of Ford and Honda)

but I'm an anti-FWD snob. If the car's crankshaft isn't pointing front to back, then I hate the car. I blame my past of RX-7s, Subarus, and Miatas...
I'm not discrediting RWD. I was simply informing those gents that AWD was available as their posts indicated or inferred it wasn't
Old 03-13-14, 11:23 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do you guys think there's so many IS 250's in LA? Whether 2IS or 3IS -- that's what people buy here. I think that price is important and that a 250 gives most people a chance to own a Lexus and get all the cool gadgets including ML for less than 40K and I think most people think they don't need the extra horsepower but could use to save a few dollars on gas.

All I really know is that the one time I drove a 3 series hard (albeit early 2000's) the clutch blew out. I have beat the hell out of this IS on the canyons and I do so without fear. I've hit potholes that have caused my jaws to snap shut and the car has yet to rattle, squeak or go out of alignment. My definition of luxury includes never having to the dealership. My time is valuable and I can live with a lower tech engine because I get so much back in other attributes.
Old 03-13-14, 11:53 AM
scarboy693
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frankly when I was replacing my 328i (2013 model totaled in a crash), I was actually looking at a 335i. Ended up with the 3IS. Yes the S4 and 335i are faster, however frankly speaking the IS350 isn't that slow, its still quicker than most cars on the road and in daily driving and use, its more than enough I have never felt driving the Lexus that it feels underpowered. Its not like you're racing on the streets anyway. I much prefer the comfort and better ride quality the lexus over the german cars too.

Plus bringing price back in, a Loaded F sport 350 still undercuts the pricing of an A4 or 328i so that makes the Lexus a very tempting buy. My old 328i had a 49K Sticker, still was missing a bunch of things my Lexus has like Backup Camera, Premium Sound, LED Tails, Blind spot, etc
Old 03-13-14, 05:19 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

NA engines like the IS350 engine feel underpowered compared to the turbos, superchargers, and hybrids on the market. It doesn't give you that instant boost you need at acceleration which makes some people feel it is underpowered.

You have to ring the hell out of the engine to high revs to get the power. By then, the 335i, S4, Q50 Hybrid, C400 will have already had a HUGE lead.
Old 03-13-14, 06:04 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2k5
NA engines like the IS350 engine feel underpowered compared to the turbos, superchargers, and hybrids on the market. It doesn't give you that instant boost you need at acceleration which makes some people feel it is underpowered.

You have to ring the hell out of the engine to high revs to get the power. By then, the 335i, S4, Q50 Hybrid, C400 will have already had a HUGE lead.
The street isn't a racetrack, and if you need more RPM's and power, the auto is pretty quick to drop a couple gears.
Old 03-13-14, 06:07 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
So let me recap. with you two.

Because an IS-F doesnt have the 3 numbers doesnt make it a luxury sedan? Same goes as well with the M3
The M3 is a sports car, in my opinion. I know some purists think it has to be a 2-seater and an open top. That E92 M3, with that 8000 RPM M V8, is a baaad machine. It feels like you're driving a race car.
Old 03-13-14, 07:04 PM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know a single "purist" who wants an open top. Compromised structural integrity, added weight and complexity - hell, if you're really serious you don't even want a sunroof.
Old 03-13-14, 07:29 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by carderoni
I dont know a single "purist" who wants an open top. Compromised structural integrity, added weight and complexity - hell, if you're really serious you don't even want a sunroof.
Some think that way, man. I read it on the Internet, so it must be true.
Old 03-13-14, 07:31 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JGard18

Me too. RWD cars aremuch better than FWD cars. The IS is at the top of my list because it's one of the most affordable RWD cars, excluding Mustangs.
Old 03-14-14, 03:31 AM
finalhope
Rookie

Well, I personally don't know how the Beemer handles when around corner, but my IS350 F Sport sure understeer in sharp corner. The car is fun to drive, but with more power it would be even more fun to drive That's where the RC-F comes in I guess, but hopefully the 2015 IS350 won't get an engine improvement change or else I'd really regret buying the 2014. I already dislike how Lexus, without thinking beforehand for the 2014 IS, came up with the change in touch pad and reposition on the cup holders few months later for the RC350. Again, power is more predominant than handling because you won't be as much fun on the IS250 compared to the IS350 right? I also did miss the luxurious wood trim from the previous gen IS replaced by a black piece of I don't know what for the center console. It's fun to drive! with more power
Old 03-14-14, 07:59 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

But the Germans will lose on the slalom and autocross and in the canyons.

Only time the Germans will win is on the dragstrip and if you stupidly and unlawfully decide on traffic light racing.
Old 03-14-14, 09:39 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by natnut
But the Germans will lose on the slalom and autocross and in the canyons.

Only time the Germans will win is on the dragstrip and if you stupidly and unlawfully decide on traffic light racing.
How did you came to this conclusion? Any race you can reference where slaloms were won by Lexus and drags by germans?
Old 03-14-14, 11:01 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Google is the friend of people seeking to be informed -- "charge into a series of quick bends and the IS completely changes its character. Turn in is crisper in the Lexus than in either the BMW or the Cadillac, a fact borne out by its first-place slalom finish in spite of a mediocre skidpad performance. More important, the Lexus is utterly imperturbable."

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Last edited by Glashub; 03-14-14 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-14-14, 11:48 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
How did you came to this conclusion? Any race you can reference where slaloms were won by Lexus and drags by germans?
Car And Driver 610-FT SLALOM:

Lexus IS350 F-Sport : 46.6 mph

BMW 335i M-Sport : 45 mph

Source :

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-5

Audi S5 : 44.9 mph

BMW 435i M-Sport : 43.4mph

Source : Latest Issue of Car and Driver comparing Audi S5 against BMW 435i M-Sport, scanned copy of magazine courtesy of F30post forum :

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951769

Basically, C&D tested the IS350 F-Sport as faster through the slalom then the BMW 335i M-Sport, the Audi S5 and the 435i M-Sport.

The Germans might have the better (and less reliable ) powerplant but Lexus has their number when it comes to chassis, suspension and steering engineering.

I have a feeling that when the new Lexus FI powerplants drop in the next year, the IS will outright murder the German competition.

Last edited by natnut; 03-15-14 at 05:36 AM.

Quick Reply: IS350 F Sport Underpower against Germans?