IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Adaptive Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-14, 03:01 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Adaptive Cruise Control

Just wondering, does anyone here owns 3IS with adaptive cruise control?
1. Where do they put it? Is it at the lexus emblem on the grill like they did on 07-12 LS?
2. How effective is it?
3. Please put pics of it.

I recently looked up lexus.com and realize it was only a $500 option, eventho you need to special order the car. I think I really want it now.

Last edited by smardav; 03-21-14 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-21-14, 03:20 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

I've never seen it as an option for our car...interesting that you see it there now
Old 03-21-14, 03:33 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

I have never seen one at the dealer stock that comes with it. I asked my dealer in Houston and they say they've yet to get an order like that.
Old 03-21-14, 04:34 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by smardav
Just wondering, does anyone here owns 3IS with adaptive cruise control?
1. Where do they put it? Is it at the lexus emblem on the grill like they did on 07-12 LS?
2. How effective is it?
3. Please put pics of it.

I recently looked up lexus.com and realize it was only a $500 option, eventho you need to special order the car. I think I really want it now.
I have the radar cruise on mine. I had to special order to get it and my dealer had never seen one with the option. I only have 100 miles on my car but I have tested the radar cruise for short stints on the interstate. You can adjust the following distance and the car will slow or speed up to maintain that distance or speed. Today I had a car merge right in front of me and the car braked hard to allow the proper space... too hard in my opinion... and then it accelerated to maintain speed/distance. I'll post pics this weekend. I'd have to say it's definitely worth the $500.
Old 03-21-14, 04:37 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

I have one and I like it especially at the cost of $500. It comes bundles with collision prevention system which will apply brake to lessen the crash if it detects collision is unavoidable.

I believe radar is near the front emblem and there is button on the right side of steering wheel to change the distance for the adaptive cruise control. Down side is this does not work under 25mph but in frequent stop and go situations you would not want to use this because transitions from slower to faster is not as smooth as you could do it.

If you do special order you should also look at other options which are all very reasonable in my opinion. Going by memory from when I ordered mine:

VGRS w/ Power Telescopic and Tilt $400
BMS & Rear Cross Traffic Alert $600
Power Sunshade $200
Adaptive Cruise Control and PCS $500
Old 03-21-14, 08:10 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

So basically it doesn't work as well as Mercedes' distronic plus? Can you post a picture of where they put the radar at the outside of the car? I personally wont order the rear sunshade tho. I think 20% ceramic tint is dark enough to prevent the sun from going in.
Old 03-21-14, 09:42 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by smardav
So basically it doesn't work as well as Mercedes' distronic plus? Can you post a picture of where they put the radar at the outside of the car? I personally wont order the rear sunshade tho. I think 20% ceramic tint is dark enough to prevent the sun from going in.
I don't know where the radar is in the front.

I have 30% F1 Pinnacle Ceramic all the way around with 90% 3M Crystalline on windshield but given that F Sport don't have cooled seats, rear sunshade will be helpful to keep the interior cool in the hot summer days.
Old 03-21-14, 09:47 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I have it in my RX but not my IS. I find it to be a great feature. In my RX, it's located behind the Lexus emblem on the front grill.
Old 03-21-14, 09:51 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have it in my RX but not my IS. I find it to be a great feature. In my RX, it's located behind the Lexus emblem on the front grill.
I think someone mentioned it was behind front emblem for the 3IS too. That's probably why I don't see it when I look at the grille from the front.
Old 03-22-14, 03:19 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this system on my car. It's a EU car.

It's a good system and at normal speeds it works very good.
Asmentioned the systems also comes with a very handy pre crash system that gives a loud warning sound and brakes hard if you are about to crash. I have "tried" this system once when I did not pay enough attention, and it works as it prevented an incedent.

The radar for the cruise and pre crash is located behind the emblem in the grille.

Where I live the roads are very narrow, and I have experienced that the radar guided cruise control brakes very hard when you lay besides bigger viechles. Even if there is nothing in front.
This has happened to me about 4-5 times.

Another issue is that the cruise control stops working under 50km\h or about 30 mph. and if you are not aware of this fact, the "automatic braking" from the cruise control can suddenly stop working. when everybody else in front of you brakes, letting go of the brakes feels like accelerating... The pre-crash may or may not help you avoid a crash, but the feeling after something like that happening is bad...
Old 03-22-14, 07:15 AM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The system is old. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Volvo and Infiniti had this system dating back as far as 2007 on their entry model cars.

The newer systems do the same but also brake to a complete stop. They also have Lane keeping now as well that nudges you back into your Lane.

Lexus needs to catch up on tech badly.
Old 03-22-14, 07:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chris2k5
The newer systems do the same but also brake to a complete stop. They also have Lane keeping now as well that nudges you back into your Lane.

Lexus needs to catch up on tech badly.
Lane Keep Assist is an option on the IS.
Old 03-22-14, 08:04 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Lane Keep Assist is an option on the IS.
It does not steer the car. It just warns you.
Old 03-22-14, 08:10 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jhs82
It does not steer the car. It just warns you.
Yes, that's correct.
Old 03-22-14, 02:16 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2k5
The system is old. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Volvo and Infiniti had this system dating back as far as 2007 on their entry model cars. The newer systems do the same but also brake to a complete stop. They also have Lane keeping now as well that nudges you back into your Lane. Lexus needs to catch up on tech badly.
Actually not sure if the systems(PCS & Adaptive cruise control) in IS have been updated or not but the first PCS and adaptive cruise control for Toyota were back in 1998--1999. The car ease called Toyota Progres. It was the car where the first gen IS/Altezza was based on.

To say Lexus is behind this particular technology among its competitors ( Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc) is not true. I find what Lexus is behind is the transmission. While the 8-speed in IS 350 RWD is pretty good, look at what the others have offered as standard equipment even for smaller engines.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Control