IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Inverted manual shift knob (+/-) : Does it annoy you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-14, 04:54 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Acura does it exactly like Lexus. AND Lexus gives you both paddles and shifter -- Acura, Genesis, and others only give you or the other.
Old 03-31-14, 09:29 PM
Arioch
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull backwards to go faster? Seems counter intuitive to me. Good news is conditioning can be overcome by less complaining and more driving.
Old 03-31-14, 09:36 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my 07 acura tl we had the same problem what we did was disconnect the wire and swap it around and I'm guessing it should be the same
Old 04-01-14, 12:32 AM
scarboy693
Rookie

My BMW had the down for up and up for down. TBH doesn't make a huge difference to me since I resort to the paddles anyway haha
Old 04-01-14, 04:12 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Arioch
Good news is conditioning can be overcome by less complaining and more driving.
Complaining? Really?
Old 04-01-14, 07:37 AM
redcupr
Driver

VW is the same as Lexus, at least in the Touareg (forward to upshift, back to downshift).

My MINI was the opposite, but I always used the paddle shifters in that car. Here's my theory on BMW/MINI's shift thinking. The MINI's (and I think early BMW) paddle shifters were set up that you pull back with your fingers to upshift and push forward with your thumb to downshift (with either hand, both sides worked the same). So, they just transferred the push/pull philosophy down to the console.

The learning curve for me now in the Lexus is the right paddle to upshift and left paddle to downshift, very different from the MINI. Takes a little more thinking when shifting through a corner.

Am I complaining, nope, I'm learning.
Old 04-01-14, 06:29 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
Does it ever occur to anyone that different than what we were used to might just be better? 😃
No. See below.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Does not annoy me at all.

In fact I feel this is the intuitive way it should be. Moving forward and accelerating = pressing the shifter forward = upshift in gears = higher gears = higher speed. The reverse is true. Makes sense no matter which which angle you look at it.

Yes it does. This is the only correct way to do it. Your hand moves with the momentum of the car. As you're accelerating, your hand will naturally pull back easier. When you're braking and downshifting for a corner, your hand will naturally push forward easier.

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I don;t know what you drove before but only very few manufacture has that backwards +backwards - forward.. mazda, bmw(after 2000) and porsche.. might be some others but MB, Audi, VW, Infinity, Lexus, Volvo has this right
Majority does not correctness make.

Originally Posted by dojoman
Up should be up, down should be down. What's the confusion? German cars got theirs backwards.
They really didn't.

Originally Posted by Arioch
Pull backwards to go faster? Seems counter intuitive to me. Good news is conditioning can be overcome by less complaining and more driving.
It's for people who do more thinking than feeling when driving.

Originally Posted by redcupr
VW is the same as Lexus, at least in the Touareg (forward to upshift, back to downshift).

My MINI was the opposite, but I always used the paddle shifters in that car. Here's my theory on BMW/MINI's shift thinking. The MINI's (and I think early BMW) paddle shifters were set up that you pull back with your fingers to upshift and push forward with your thumb to downshift (with either hand, both sides worked the same). So, they just transferred the push/pull philosophy down to the console.

The learning curve for me now in the Lexus is the right paddle to upshift and left paddle to downshift, very different from the MINI. Takes a little more thinking when shifting through a corner.

Am I complaining, nope, I'm learning.

Every single race car with a sequential transmission is pull back to shift up, push forward to shift down.

And every single race car with paddles has been pull right to shift up, pull left to shift down.

But what do they know.
Old 04-01-14, 06:58 PM
KumaF
Driver

After watching those videos. I wonder if it is necessary to lift off throttle when shifting in manual mode ?
Old 04-01-14, 06:59 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

LOL @ panyo. You nailed it. I wanted to compile a few videos but you beat me to it. The momentum and g-force thing makes perfect sense. I still wonder why so many manufacturers insist on inverting it.
Old 04-01-14, 08:27 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

If this is a standard from racing cars and was imported in the street cars why all the majority of manufactures did it the opposite.
Why Mercedes use changing up by pulling and down by pushing on the race cars but the other way around on the regular street cars?!
Dilemmas dilemmas
Old 04-01-14, 08:38 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by KumaF
After watching those videos. I wonder if it is necessary to lift off throttle when shifting in manual mode ?
With your torque converter automatic? Not at all. Foot to the floor. No more necessary than lifting off the throttle in automatic mode. If you're just trying to get the best acceleration possible, leave it in automatic. The car will sort it out for you when you peg the throttle.

Those cars have sequential manual transmissions with clutches. You have an automatic transmission with electronic gear selection. You don't have to drive your car any differently from any other automatic ever.
Old 04-01-14, 08:42 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by keyframe13
If this is a standard from racing cars and was imported in the street cars why all the majority of manufactures did it the opposite.
Why Mercedes use changing up by pulling and down by pushing on the race cars but the other way around on the regular street cars?!
Dilemmas dilemmas
Because different users require different things. The person in the race car is driving by feel. Pulling back to shift up is more natural and faster, letting the driver think about managing his/her traction circle. Pushing forward to shift is better for the general public because MB assumes that the average driver thinks the way corradoMR2 thinks and it'll be less confusing to Johnny Consumer. The difference in philosophies between MB and BMW can pretty much be summed up in their shift patterns.
Old 04-01-14, 11:05 PM
gwud2go
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post Panyo. I feel the same way - came from a BMW, and the orientation just felt second nature to me on day 1. On the 3IS, I still haven't gotten used it yet and just use the paddle shifters now. I like to downshift a lot to kick in engine braking (partly to save my pads from kicking up so much break dust).
Old 04-02-14, 05:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

why does it even matter when the paddles (which are the correct configuration) are much better to use?
Old 04-02-14, 06:16 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

^^ Because not everyone thinks the way you do
For example I've been driving only manual cars since I got my license (13 years ago) and I feel like the shift kn0b is the closest I can get to a manual, in a luxury car. So I enjoy using it.
The following users liked this post:
RJMacReady (12-23-22)

Quick Reply: Inverted manual shift knob (+/-) : Does it annoy you?