Aero Kit Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-14, 09:08 PM
TacTrig22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Aero Kit Decisions

Hi CL members,

New member here, but have been crusin and purusin the forums like crazy here for quite sometime.

I am trying to decide what aero kit options to go with on my 3IS 350 FSport (silver).

I do not want to get something that is too wild, but want a more streamlined design, and does not considerably void warranties here.

The kits I am the most interested in are the Aimgain and the TRD kits.

The Aimgain kit type II has the ascetic I like the most, but it appears that to get the most out of this kit I would need to opt for the loop muffler system, which there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of info out there with regards to performance, exhaust note, etc. throw in the potential issue that modding this with non-OEM could result in some warranty issues, and you can understand why I might be apprehensive going this route. Also not 100% sure whether the type II diffuser will be compatible with stock or FSport mufflers, or if it is, what it would look like.

The TRD kit looks like a good option to avoid warranty problems, but with a non-obsidian colored car it might look a bit weird. The cost too doesn't seem to worth it, especially dropping $600+ for that front lip, which is ridiculous. Though I have not ruled it out because it does look decent.

I know we have a bunch of pics up on the forum here on both of these kits, but was curious what the community's thought was on going with either of the kit options, or if other silver FSport owners have done similar mods and have experience or a pic to help me out. Thanks all for your help!
Old 03-30-14, 09:34 PM
J-Velocity
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adding aero kit will not affect your warranty.,
Old 03-30-14, 09:37 PM
xpandabl3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can tell you for Type 1 muffler tip they will supply you a 90 degree pipe to direct the exhaust to the tip. You do need to cut the tip of the muffler to make the 90 fitting work though. However this is for stock exhaust so if you want aftermarket you will need custom work. Type 2 I can ask Aimgain for you.

My car still goes to dealership for all the maintenance and zero problem with warranty. Mine's also a silver and I have full CF Aimgain kit installed. If you're worried about the cost just get the FRP version as the CF version costs almost double.

Last edited by xpandabl3; 03-30-14 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-30-14, 10:33 PM
ISDAS
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts

personally im going with

front - LEMS dry carbon (ordered and on the way)
side - TRD (most likely if I can find at a decent rate + can order painted in white so thats a bonus)
rear - Color matched or gloss black? anyone done this? would like aimgain type 2 but with a stock exhaust .. dont know, also mixing and matching too much maybe..
Old 03-30-14, 10:52 PM
TacTrig22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I actually was looking at your car the most xpand in helping me decide. It's not the cost of the AIMGAIN kit, I feel it's good for what you get. The TRD front lip was all that I thought was a bit of a stretch. Curious on the AIMGAIN loop muffler though, wish somebody installed this beast and wanted to show it off!

The other thing that is a bit of a nuisance is I am not sure what we have out in the Seattle area for JDM part dealers. Looking like ordering direct or online is the way to go on this one, and finding somebody to install this without effing it up!

Is there other kits out there that kind of fit this bill that are worth considering?