IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

I keep forgetting to set my e-brake. Am I going to regret it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-14, 09:39 AM
craigsager
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I keep forgetting to set my e-brake. Am I going to regret it?

I read that you should set your e-brake when you first get you car for the first few hundred miles. I have always driven an automatic and never really set my e-brake on any of my cars. It's a hard habit to develop. I racked up 500 miles so far on my IS250 and not once did I remember to set my e-brake. Am I going to regret this?
Old 04-14-14, 09:43 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never heard of this and don't know exactly what they are trying to prevent by setting it. I guess it's not a bad idea to set it every once in a while just to make sure it hasn't gotten frozen up. Not sure why the emphasis on the first couple hundred miles though.
Old 04-14-14, 10:22 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure what you meant by "set", but I had an issue with my e-brake when I got my car. The e-brake assembly needed to be tightened and greased. If you don't get yours adjusted, it'll just clunk on bumps, but it won't damage anything.
Old 04-14-14, 06:06 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

3 months in with 5,000+ miles. I've only set the ebrake on a big incline at my in-laws about 3-4 times, otherwise not in use. Car has been fine.
Old 04-14-14, 08:34 PM
huudoo
Driver School Candidate

it helps to take pressure off the trans also.
Old 04-15-14, 08:06 AM
redcupr
Driver

I'm must be old fashioned. I always set the parking brake and never "rest" the car on the transmission.

If I remember correctly putting the car in park causes a pin to lock the output shaft to something fixed (like the case of the transmission). Resting the car on the pin will eventually cause problems, especially when taking the car out of Park with any load on that pin (hence the clunk you hear).
Old 04-15-14, 08:17 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by redcupr
I'm must be old fashioned. I always set the parking brake and never "rest" the car on the transmission.

If I remember correctly putting the car in park causes a pin to lock the output shaft to something fixed (like the case of the transmission). Resting the car on the pin will eventually cause problems, especially when taking the car out of Park with any load on that pin (hence the clunk you hear).
I'm with you. I never park without my parking brake.
Old 04-15-14, 08:53 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by redcupr

i never knew that, thanks for sharing... when i drove my DC5, i use to put it on the ebrake all the time bc well its a manual--the reason why i don't put it on in the IS is because i always always always for get to take it off until after like driving a mile. lol
Old 04-15-14, 11:27 AM
yellow2112
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, so all being said, would you apply the ebrake, THEN put the car in park, or put the car in park THEN hit the ebrake, or doesnt it matter?
Old 04-15-14, 11:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I was taught back in driving school that you apply the foot brake, put it in Park, then apply the parking brake. When disengaging, you put your foot on the foot brake, remove the parking brake, and take it out of Park. I am not sure that it matters all that much, though, as long as you have your foot on the brake when moving the gear selector and when applying/removing the parking brake. I think this order really just ensures that you never have the parking brake on while you are in gear.
Old 04-15-14, 01:37 PM
craigsager
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
I've never heard of this and don't know exactly what they are trying to prevent by setting it. I guess it's not a bad idea to set it every once in a while just to make sure it hasn't gotten frozen up. Not sure why the emphasis on the first couple hundred miles though.

I read it in the other thread about people who had trouble with hearing a loud thud from the rear shocks when they go over a pot hole.