IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 F sport RWD vs, Non sport IS 350 RWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14, 01:53 PM
bp044
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 350 F sport RWD vs, Non sport IS 350 RWD

I ask this question only as it relates to steering , cornering , suspension and general fun to drive.I prefer to own the Lexus brand. The only other car I am considering is the Cadillac ATS
Is it possible to quantify the difference in the two Lexus cars as it relates to the
above criteria ?
Old 05-05-14, 02:24 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread from a member who has owned both due to an accident with his first car

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...sport-rwd.html
Old 05-05-14, 02:27 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotatom
Great thread from a member who has owned both due to an accident with his first car

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...sport-rwd.html
I think the OP is asking about F Sport vs non F Sport, not AWD vs RWD. Agreed it's a great thread, though...
Old 05-05-14, 02:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The real difference between the two cars will be AVS and, if equipped/desired, VGRS. I have not driven a model with VGRS so I cannot comment on that.

As far as AVS vs the traditional suspension set up, I think AVS is fun and I would have gotten it if I wanted to take my IS to the autocross, but did not find it useful or necessary in a daily driver. YMMV.

I find them both to be a lot of fun. They have the same engines and transmissions, brakes are the same size, tires/wheels can be optioned to be the same size, and one is not faster than the other. I recommend you try both then decide. Your decision may be influenced by the packaged options and the other items (like seats, F Sport gauge, etc.) you did not intend to discuss in this thread.

In terms of outright handling, if that is your number one priority, the ATS is a tough car to beat. Good luck in your decision.
Old 05-05-14, 02:46 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bp044
I ask this question only as it relates to steering , cornering , suspension and general fun to drive.I prefer to own the Lexus brand. The only other car I am considering is the Cadillac ATS
Is it possible to quantify the difference in the two Lexus cars as it relates to the
above criteria ?
The only two differences in my opinion that are not cosmetic are the available VGRS and AVS on the F-Sport. The VGRS will allow for a looser or tighter lock to lock depending on driving conditions. The AVS will allow the shock dampening to be tightened at a ***** turn.

although you could argue that the suspension can be cosmetic (changeable) the VGRS option is a must in my opinion. It gives a better read on your turning radius in tight aggressive situations. VGRS is an F-Sport option only at the moment.

But if you're not a canyon or track guy these options aren't the most important to you. Some things you'll like about the non F-sport are the luxury amenities. ventilated seats....memory seating...and some other things im sure, all that will not be options on the F-Sport model at the moment.

And although cosmetic, the LCD cluster was a must for me and only found on the F-Sport.

Good Luck...
Old 05-05-14, 09:38 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The real difference between the two cars will be AVS and, if equipped/desired, VGRS. I have not driven a model with VGRS so I cannot comment on that.

As far as AVS vs the traditional suspension set up, I think AVS is fun and I would have gotten it if I wanted to take my IS to the autocross, but did not find it useful or necessary in a daily driver. YMMV.

I find them both to be a lot of fun. They have the same engines and transmissions, brakes are the same size, tires/wheels can be optioned to be the same size, and one is not faster than the other. I recommend you try both then decide. Your decision may be influenced by the packaged options and the other items (like seats, F Sport gauge, etc.) you did not intend to discuss in this thread.

In terms of outright handling, if that is your number one priority, the ATS is a tough car to beat. Good luck in your decision.
Car and Driver tested both ATS and IS and the IS had a faster slalom time/speed.
Old 05-06-14, 06:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
Car and Driver tested both ATS and IS and the IS had a faster slalom time/speed.
True, but Car and Driver also stated this about the ATS:

It has a chassis tuned by the gods themselves.

Slalom is not the only indicator of handling and "fun to drive". My comment is not disparaging the IS, as I find it to be the better overall package of the two, but the ATS chassis is fantastic.
Old 05-06-14, 08:03 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Handling can objectively measured in terms of slalom speed . A poorer handling car can be more fun to drive yet objectively be slower on the slalom. I guess it depends on how you want to define handling : " slalom speed" or "fun to drive".