IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

So someone tried to steal my IS today

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-14, 11:39 AM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default So someone tried to steal my IS today

Is was about 11:00am, a guy dressed in a uniform and tow truck came and knocked on my door. He apparently knew we weren't home and to left a "Repossession Notice " (turned out to be fake). I had left my car outside today to dry after washing it, normally it's in the garage. My neighbor saw the guy starting to attached the tow cables on my car and asked the tow truck guy what he was doing. The guy told me neighbor that I hadn't made my car payments and the bank was repossessing the car. My neighbor knew it was a lie because he asked me when I first bought my car what my payments were and I told him I had paid for it in full so I could get a better deal. Long story short, my neighbor called the cops and the guy is heading to jail. My car is safely back in the garage and getting floor-bolted lock for the garage door later today. I'm pretty shocked the lengths people will go to steal a car but i guess you can't assume anything these days. Hope you guys are having a better holiday weekend.
Old 05-26-14, 11:58 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Scary...
Old 05-26-14, 12:26 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You have a very good neighbor, most people would not get involved today, glad it worked out for you

Originally Posted by theoryguy3
Is was about 11:00am, a guy dressed in a uniform and tow truck came and knocked on my door. He apparently knew we weren't home and to left a "Repossession Notice " (turned out to be fake). I had left my car outside today to dry after washing it, normally it's in the garage. My neighbor saw the guy starting to attached the tow cables on my car and asked the tow truck guy what he was doing. The guy told me neighbor that I hadn't made my car payments and the bank was repossessing the car. My neighbor knew it was a lie because he asked me when I first bought my car what my payments were and I told him I had paid for it in full so I could get a better deal. Long story short, my neighbor called the cops and the guy is heading to jail. My car is safely back in the garage and getting floor-bolted lock for the garage door later today. I'm pretty shocked the lengths people will go to steal a car but i guess you can't assume anything these days. Hope you guys are having a better holiday weekend.
Old 05-26-14, 12:29 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

where in ny do you live?
Old 05-26-14, 04:59 PM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you owe your neighbor lunch and beer
Old 05-26-14, 05:45 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts
Thumbs up

I always dead bolted my Mustang in my backyard behind another dead bolted gate..
(When I lived in a NY suburb)

Sadly car thieves are getting better at what they do..!!

I'm looking into simple GPS tracker for my ride.. LoJack comes to mind..

But I like the idea of having an App for it as well.. Have to see what else is out on the market these days..

Happy to hear your neighbor saved the day

Joe Z
Old 05-26-14, 07:15 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Kryptonite locks said they test their new locks in NY before bringing them to market. Said the most cunning, clever, and resourceful criminals are in NY. If the lock passes the NY test -- good to go for the rest of the world. Don't know if you're out on the island or in a borough but NY is the Big Apple in more ways than one.
Old 05-26-14, 07:53 PM
elusive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Major props to your neighbor! Our cars already have a stolen vehicle locator so they could've found it quickly even if he stole it. Damn thieves.
Old 05-27-14, 05:00 AM
MiGGy1186
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to get a pitbull lol Glad your neighbor saved the day.
Old 05-27-14, 05:20 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People like that should be be executed by being slowly run over by a tank.
Old 05-27-14, 06:35 AM
ancpratt
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy smokes, yeah... buy your neighbor lunch and a beer for sure! The ***** of some people in trying to steal a car... and at 11:00AM in the morning, in broad daylight? I guess they thought reverse psychology would work but so glad it didn't!

That's nuts.
Old 05-27-14, 06:38 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

thank god you and your neighbors are friends like that and spoke about your deal...
Old 05-27-14, 07:13 AM
CarZy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad everything worked out for you. I am surprised that he came to the door and also revealed himself. I mean, if you're gonna steal it, just tow the car. Why knock at the door?
Old 05-27-14, 09:01 AM
hovik92
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CarZy
Glad everything worked out for you. I am surprised that he came to the door and also revealed himself. I mean, if you're gonna steal it, just tow the car. Why knock at the door?
I think he was just trying to make sure no one was home, if someone had opened the door, he probably would have said he's at the wrong address or some other lie.
Old 05-27-14, 09:04 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

that is so scary, makes me want to get a dash cam or tracking device and lock it up

Quick Reply: So someone tried to steal my IS today