IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Sport/Sport+ Explanation

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-14, 11:01 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport/Sport+ Explanation

Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone is able to explain the difference between the Sport and Sport+ modes.

I could't really find much of an explanation on the Lexus site, but here is what I gathered:

SPORT S/S+ MODE

Sport S mode alters the powertrain for faster gear changes and more dynamic throttle-mapping, and switches the outer ring of the LFA-inspired tachometer to white. The rear-wheel drive IS 350 F SPORT’s Sport S+ mode goes a step further by tightening the suspension and increasing the steering response in VGRS-equipped models. In both modes, the transmission’s shift points are automatically altered coming into and out of corners for sharper acceleration.

NORMAL MODE

This mode provides the optimal balance of fuel efficiency, engine performance and, on the IS 350 F SPORT, the degree of road feel.

ECO MODE

In ECO mode, the throttle response and engine power output are moderated for increased fuel efficiency. Other vehicle systems are also optimized for reduced power consumption.
Now, from what I've noticed, the Sport mode does not shift quicker than the Eco Mode. And from what I was told at the dealer, the Eco Mode shifts the quickest as to keep the revs down to improve fuel economy.

I've noticed that the revs are allowed to really go high in Sport/Sport+, but can't seem to distinguish the difference between the two. I do notice a difference in throttle response and power as compared to the Eco Mode, but not between Sport and Sport+ modes. Although I haven't really pushed my car much as I'm still breaking it in.

Could anyone please explain the difference between those two modes for me. I see that in the Lexus explanation above, they say

The rear-wheel drive IS 350 F SPORT’s Sport S+ mode goes a step further by tightening the suspension and increasing the steering response in VGRS-equipped models
Does this mean my AWD IS 350 does not have tightened suspension? I was told that it did have tighter suspension when in Sport+.

Also, regarding the power differential for the AWD, when putting it in "Snow" mode, does that enable the power ratio to be split from 70/30 (back to front) to 50/50. I couldn't seem to find the answer online.
Old 06-17-14, 02:57 AM
mark168
Driver School Candidate

From Sport to Sport +, suspension is slightly stiffer.
Old 06-17-14, 06:22 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermes
Now, from what I've noticed, the Sport mode does not shift quicker than the Eco Mode. And from what I was told at the dealer, the Eco Mode shifts the quickest as to keep the revs down to improve fuel economy.
I think that means the ECO mode changes gears sooner. The actual time it takes to change the gear is quicker in Sport mode.
The following 2 users liked this post by offroad200:
DadzIS (02-02-24), MCDavis (02-19-20)
Old 06-17-14, 07:34 AM
redcupr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermes
Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone is able to explain the difference between the Sport and Sport+ modes.

I could't really find much of an explanation on the Lexus site, but here is what I gathered:

I've noticed that the revs are allowed to really go high in Sport/Sport+, but can't seem to distinguish the difference between the two. I do notice a difference in throttle response and power as compared to the Eco Mode, but not between Sport and Sport+ modes. Although I haven't really pushed my car much as I'm still breaking it in.

Could anyone please explain the difference between those two modes for me. I see that in the Lexus explanation above, they say

Does this mean my AWD IS 350 does not have tightened suspension? I was told that it did have tighter suspension when in Sport+.

Also, regarding the power differential for the AWD, when putting it in "Snow" mode, does that enable the power ratio to be split from 70/30 (back to front) to 50/50. I couldn't seem to find the answer online.
1. AWD models do get the adjustable damping (stiffer in Sport S+ mode).
2. Sport S mode makes the throttle more sensitive, and changes the way the transmission shifts (shift a bit quicker and at a higher RPM).
3. Sport S+ mode stiffens the suspension as well as the steering feel. On RWD models I believe this is the mode that the steering ratio quickens but I'm not sure as i have the AWD IS350F.
4. Eco mode tones everything down for the sake of fuel economy. The throttle is much less sensitive (all the power is there but you have to move the throttle a lot more to get to it). The transmission also shift sooner in each gear to keep the engine revs low.
Old 06-17-14, 08:30 AM
Hermes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redcupr
2. Sport S mode makes the throttle more sensitive, and changes the way the transmission shifts (shift a bit quicker and at a higher RPM).
3. Sport S+ mode stiffens the suspension as well as the steering feel. On RWD models I believe this is the mode that the steering ratio quickens but I'm not sure as i have the AWD IS350F.
4. Eco mode tones everything down for the sake of fuel economy. The throttle is much less sensitive (all the power is there but you have to move the throttle a lot more to get to it). The transmission also shift sooner in each gear to keep the engine revs low.
Thank you for the explanation guys, it's really cleared everything up for me. Thanks again!
Old 07-16-16, 09:41 AM
leg3ndary
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redcupr
So quick question. does the suspension tighten on sport mode for regular GS?
Old 07-06-19, 06:27 AM
Amuse350z
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

i commute about 12 miles total a day a bit of mixed 50/50 local and highway driving. I wanted to do some testing with ECO vs Normal mode on daily driving.

I have a 2015 F Sport. RWD.

on ECO with full tank, I got:
  • 350 miles until the gas light came on
  • avg mpg after refuel was 23.5

on REGULAR with full tank, i got:
  • 300 miles until the gas light came on
  • avg mpg after refuel was 20.4
The following users liked this post:
bx16v (07-06-19)
Old 07-06-19, 09:27 AM
evident
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Amuse350z
i commute about 12 miles total a day a bit of mixed 50/50 local and highway driving. I wanted to do some testing with ECO vs Normal mode on daily driving.

Man I've never noticed that kind of difference between eco and normal. For me they've always been the same.
Old 07-06-19, 09:35 AM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
Man I've never noticed that kind of difference between eco and normal. For me they've always been the same.
I think mileage will vary based on location and habits. I usually get 400-430 Eco on a tank, but also quite less on Normal mode averaging 320-350.
Old 07-06-19, 10:21 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Amuse350z

The poor performance and major lag in throttle response in ECO just isn't worth it to save 2-3 mpg for me. Different for everyone, some may not even see a mpg difference. ECO mode is absolute trash in this vehicle (as is on most vehicles).

Last edited by premier3IS; 07-06-19 at 10:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by premier3IS:
ALLBLCK604 (07-08-19), neff2641 (03-21-21)
Old 07-06-19, 01:49 PM
Amuse350z
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS
The poor performance and major lag in throttle response in ECO just isn't worth it to save 2-3 mpg for me. Different for everyone, some may not even see a mpg difference. ECO mode is absolute trash in this vehicle (as is on most vehicles).
i agree with u there. I never drive on eco mode exception to this testing
Old 07-06-19, 03:06 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I have no direct experience, but from various posts,
it seems that the S+ suspension stiffening is mainly
noticeable in the curves.
Old 07-07-19, 10:56 AM
logix1229
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
I have no direct experience, but from various posts,
it seems that the S+ suspension stiffening is mainly
noticeable in the curves.
I think you're right because i remember reading somewhere on another thread that the stock springs are progressive so as you push the car harder through the turns, you'll notice the suspension stiffening up...more and more.

when driving on a smooth road, i've switched between the drive modes and don't really notice the stiffness difference between S & S+. Once the road gets bumpy though, i definitely notice it.
Old 07-07-19, 12:44 PM
mak8504
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

350? 400-430? I can barely eek out 275 miles in ECO