IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

headrest monitor installed - for the little one.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-14, 07:50 PM
JasonZ-YA
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default headrest monitor installed - for the little one.

Installed this for up coming travel....won't leave it permanent. Plans are just to use the supplied cig lighter adapter for power.

-You can hardwire. it comes with 3 segments of wires depending on how u want to set it up. the wires have connectors to where you simply plug and play the 3 sections to each other.

the only wiring required would be "IF" you want a hard wired install. So that only means wiring up 2 wires, a red power and a black ground wire that is pigtailed on the 2nd section of wires. if you want to simply use the cig lighter adapter, u simply tape off the unused power and ground and simply connect the cig lighter to the port it has. and then pull the wire from under the seat to the cig lighter port in the center console.

if you want to NOT run the wires in the headrest poles OR in the seat, you can easily feed the wire back and have it come out of the opening at the bottom of the headrest, this would obviously be a more temp install as the wires would just simply come out the bottom, run down the seat and install.........but this allows for quick 2 min install and remove..literally will take that long. its very very simple system.

otherwise, All wires are hidden...run through headrest poles...thats how it comes, seeing how most do that.

Color - the black color matches i would say 85%..its not perfect, but its enough that no one would notice or care so much. i don't..

See pic:
-J
Attached Thumbnails headrest monitor installed - for the little one.-20140920_182953.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 09-22-14 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-21-14, 07:50 PM
JasonZ-YA
Driver School Candidate

The unit is the Xtrons HD908T. it was 249.99 on ebay. - and with DHL shipping it came in 3 days~! i was surprised and glad considering upcoming travel.

look at the EBay listings closely, becuase there are other listings that include the IR headphones for a little more money. I choose to by mine minus the headphones because I don't want my little girl using headphones and raising the volume too loud, --- then also in case she is dropping the headphones that we need to pull over to get them, etc.

just search it online and ebay and you can read all about it...its features.

Reason i picked this unit:
1. dvd insertion is on top - the IS 3rd gen is a small cabin car..i can quite easily at a stop light install a CD. if im already driving and my little one wants a new movie, i can easily grab the remote control, press the "OPEN" button - which means "eject" and it will eject the CD up to where i can easily reach it. from there i can grab another CD, load it with out fumbling at all compared to other units.

There are many units that require you to lift up on the screen to load the DVD. this is a bad design in my honest opinion cause i know my daughter will just grab and lift~!!!! slam down the screen, etc, etc...i dont want her doing that.

from there you can hit play on the remote..it works if you point generally to it, no need to try and get your arm back all weird in front of it...

so functionally, this unit did what i wanted............stop light dvd changes with ease.........no need to pull over or get out of the car, or have wifey turn around in the seat to change a dvd...

of course do all this safely, and i think its all very very possible.

2. comes with a leather zipper flap..........its very very hidden and hard to tell. im a believer of out of sight from thieves approach. if they want it they will steal it..if you show it off, they will get it...meh...

3. it comes with two and both have power wires, so im actually installing one in the 3rd GEN lexus and the other is going in a 2014 Nissan Altima - black leather SL model. so its working out great.

4. sounds is via its own speakers, FM, audio out 3.5 mm jack or wireless......so either works...that was a plus in options.

5. there are other reasons, but number 1 and 2 were a must...the biggest deal breaker for other units.

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 09-25-14 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-21-14, 08:01 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Very convenient setup - Nice work!
Old 09-22-14, 03:14 PM
JasonZ-YA
Driver School Candidate

updated some info...sorry it took a while..