IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-13, 01:25 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i know the angles make it look dark. I think Bruteshot (a member here on CL) had his car done by Sunshield at 35%.

As I said I like mine darker, 35% for me is just too light. Mine aren't that dark that you can't see through them when the car is in the sunlight. When i first stared tinting my windows I did them 35% and they were too light for me, so i switched to 20%. Any darker than that it would be limo tint.
Old 12-30-13, 03:34 PM
DreLo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dstopsie
i know the angles make it look dark. I think Bruteshot (a member here on CL) had his car done by Sunshield at 35%.

As I said I like mine darker, 35% for me is just too light. Mine aren't that dark that you can't see through them when the car is in the sunlight. When i first stared tinting my windows I did them 35% and they were too light for me, so i switched to 20%. Any darker than that it would be limo tint.
It looks gorgeous! I'm making an appointment for this week.
Old 12-30-13, 05:03 PM
JHooks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stickyiqqy
Wait you can tint the front windsheild!!!! Wish we could that up here in BC.
It is illegal a long with the front windows but everyone does it anyway. It's not a big deal around here just a summons no points or anything negative in your license. The law states any Window with a mirror next to it can not be tinted more than 70% which is factory but the rears can be painted black if you want. It is to insure that officers can see you on the way to the vehicle. All my friends are cops so I do the typical safety protocol if I get pulled over. Car off all windows down and keys on the roof hands on the wheel.

Also I tint the windshield because I love the look. I actually got the idea when I was 17 from a car commercial. If you notice the windshield is always tinted. I feel it completes the look of the car.

Last edited by JHooks; 12-30-13 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 05:06 PM
JHooks
Driver School Candidate

Here's a pic. It's 20%. I like them on the dark side and I get the same tint all around
Looks great that's what I tint mmy cars with when I share them with the wife. So doesn't like being pulled over haha.
Old 12-30-13, 05:13 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DreLo
You will be very pleased with his work. Leave ur car in the sun as much as possible and don't roll down the windows for 48 hours. I have never been dissatisfied with hami's work and I have had every Lexus I have owned as listed in my signature tinted there as well as the Honda's I had before I got my first IS.
Old 12-30-13, 05:14 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Thank you. It is a head turner. Post pics when you get yours done. Happy new year!!
Old 12-30-13, 05:18 PM
DreLo
Rookie

Thank you. It is a head turner. Post pics when you get yours done. Happy new year!!
I'll definitely post pics! I think I'm going to get all the chrome trim blacked out too. Happy new year!!
Old 12-30-13, 07:10 PM
gtb555
Driver School Candidate

Do all air bubbles underneath the tint eventually go away or some will stay forever?
Old 12-31-13, 12:02 AM
LINSTEFAN
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@gtb55 It depends on how professional the guy who tints the window for you do. If he does it bad there will be tons of bubbles and I'm pretty sure you can't get rid of them unless you redo it all over again.
Old 01-01-14, 09:57 PM
Diggler
Driver School Candidate

The windows are already at 70%, I put 30% on all windows except for front window and it looks sharp and is not too dark for evening driving either.
Attached Thumbnails Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-car-pic-lexus.jpg  
Old 01-02-14, 11:26 PM
jjmaxx81
Driver School Candidate

I live in LA and have 35% all around looks really nice and doesn't draw a lot of attention.
It's prob more obvious if you have a black car.
My friend has 5% on his Acura and has been pulled over/fined and had removed then put back on again.
At night time it's real hard to see and a bIt dangerous as he has to wind his windows down to see out or when trying to park at night.
Old 01-02-14, 11:29 PM
DreLo
Rookie

Originally Posted by jjmaxx81
I live in LA and have 35% all around looks really nice and doesn't draw a lot of attention.
It's prob more obvious if you have a black car.
My friend has 5% on his Acura and has been pulled over/fined and had removed then put back on again.
At night time it's real hard to see and a bIt dangerous as he has to wind his windows down to see out or when trying to park at night.
Thanks! Do you have any pics?
Old 01-03-14, 05:36 PM
DreLo
Rookie

If your in the Los Angeles area then i highly recommend Sunshield Auto Tint in Sherman Oaks on Van Nuys Boulevard. They have been there for 30 years and I have been taking my cars there for 16 years. Excellent work, take really good care of your car, and know their stuff.
Got my appointment at Sunshield for monday @ 8am. It's a bit of a drive for me but apparently they are worth it. Can't wait to get it done!
Old 01-03-14, 09:29 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Got my appointment at Sunshield for monday @ 8am. It's a bit of a drive for me but apparently they are worth it. Can't wait to get it done!
That's great!! You should be in and out of there no later than 10am. Usually they have one guy work on each window so don't be surprised if you see 5 guys working on your car at once. Remember to leave it out in the sun as much as possible if it's warm and do not roll the windows down for 48 hours or put anything on them to clean them until everything is set..

And of course don't forget to post pictures and let me know how you like your tint. Hamid is the best and I have referred a lot of people to him and I have never had one of my friends dissatisfied with his work.

Sunshield has done every one of my IS's listed below and my Honda's before I switched to Lexus.

Last edited by dstopsie; 01-03-14 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-15-14, 07:13 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best window tint to reject heat @ 30% or 35%?

Anyone have any recommendation on best tint film to reject heat? With the 3IS F Sport not having cooled seats, I'm thinking of getting window tint that will help reject heat out of the car.

It looks like Suntek CPX may be good one at rejecting 53% Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER) @ 35%.

http://www.suntekfilms.com/files/826...t_auto_CXP.pdf

Anything better?

Thank you.

Last edited by SonyHome; 01-15-14 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!