IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 07:22 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Hüper Optik ceramic tint on my 370 and it is awesome! I have the ceramic 30 grade that blocks 63% of TSER.
Old 01-15-14, 07:23 PM
DreLo
Rookie

I have 20% 3M color stable and it works great.
Old 01-15-14, 07:26 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lost808
I have Hüper Optik ceramic tint on my 370 and it is awesome! I have the ceramic 30 grade that blocks 63% of TSER.
I have not heard of these before. What did you pay for them?
Old 01-15-14, 07:27 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

DreLo,
How do you like the 3M tints? I am thinking of getting the 3M FX premium for my wife's IS. Since it is only a 27 month lease, I don't want to shell out the $$$$ for the Hüper Optik. I heard that only the color stable resists color fading or turning purple, and the other 3M products suffer from that.
Old 01-15-14, 07:35 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SonyHome
I have not heard of these before. What did you pay for them?
IMO and a lot of others, Hüper Optik ceramic is the best you can get for ceramic tint. Remember, that is my opinion. I paid about $340 for my two sides, two wedge, and rear hatch. The typical cost around low to mid $400s, but I had a hook-up for a favor return. On a bright sunny day with sun directly shining on my face and burning, I can roll the window up and instantly feel no heat or sun. Even touching the inside of the window you cannot feel heat.
Old 01-15-14, 07:44 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

IMO and a lot of others, Hüper Optik ceramic is the best you can get for ceramic tint. Remember, that is my opinion. I paid about $340 for my two sides, two wedge, and rear hatch. The typical cost around low to mid $400s, but I had a hook-up for a favor return. On a bright sunny day with sun directly shining on my face and burning, I can roll the window up and instantly feel no heat or sun. Even touching the inside of the window you cannot feel heat.
Thanks for the info.

I have quote for Suntek CXP for $285 from an installer. If I have to pay ~$200 more to get 10% more TSER I'm not sure that is worth it. I will check what their price is for Huper Optik ceramic.
Old 01-15-14, 08:29 PM
DreLo
Rookie

DreLo,
How do you like the 3M tints? I am thinking of getting the 3M FX premium for my wife's IS. Since it is only a 27 month lease, I don't want to shell out the $$$$ for the Hüper Optik. I heard that only the color stable resists color fading or turning purple, and the other 3M products suffer from that.
In my opinion 3M tint is the best for the money. I love mine. For a 27 month lease you'll be fine with the FX premium. It does fade and turn purple over time but I think it takes longer than a couple of years. From what I've heard you won't notice it until the third or fourth year. Just make sure you go to a good tint shop. I purchased my IS250 which is why I chose the color stable. I'm in this for the long haul!
Old 01-15-14, 08:35 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

^
Thnx for the info! Nothing looks worse than tint that has either bubbled, or turns purple. I might look at Solar Guard also. But I am thinking 3M is a better brand.

Oh, and sorry OP for jacking your thread.....
Old 01-15-14, 08:49 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DreLo
In my opinion 3M tint is the best for the money. I love mine. For a 27 month lease you'll be fine with the FX premium. It does fade and turn purple over time but I think it takes longer than a couple of years. From what I've heard you won't notice it until the third or fourth year. Just make sure you go to a good tint shop. I purchased my IS250 which is why I chose the color stable. I'm in this for the long haul!
^
Thnx for the info! Nothing looks worse than tint that has either bubbled, or turns purple. I might look at Solar Guard also. But I am thinking 3M is a better brand.

Oh, and sorry OP for jacking your thread.....
Np. This is all good information and thanks for bringing this up! My PPF installer gave me a quote of $235 for 3M FX Premium and I was considering this as well but with this information about turning to purple, I'll go another direction. My installer is offering lifetime warranty so he may replace it if it turns purple but I rather not have to put up with the hassle.

Do you know if Carbon films will also change color over time? I purchased my car so I'm hoping for years of consistent quality.
Old 01-15-14, 09:10 PM
DreLo
Rookie

Np. This is all good information and thanks for bringing this up! My PPF installer gave me a quote of $235 for 3M FX Premium and I was considering this as well but with this information about turning to purple, I'll go another direction. My installer is offering lifetime warranty so he may replace it if it turns purple but I rather not have to put up with the hassle.

Do you know if Carbon films will also change color over time? I purchased my car so I'm hoping for years of consistent quality.
I would go with 3M color stable. 3M provides a 15 year guarantee that it will not fade or turn purple. You'll pay a little more (I paid $280 for all windows except windshield) but it's worth it. Most tint places will offer a lifetime warranty to cover bubbling but not fading.
Old 01-15-14, 09:18 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

Carbon film is considered a hybrid film as in giving you te deep dark tint color of a dyed tint, but without the color fade and metallic base of a dyed tint. Ceramic is still better at IR and heat blocking though. Just make sure to avoid dyed or metallic based tint. The metallic will interfere with radio, satellite, key fob, ect.....
Old 01-15-14, 09:19 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Top 3 Best Tint:

HüperOptik X-Treme Ceramic or Drei - http://www.huperoptikusa.com/Automotive-series.cfm

LLumar's Formula One Pinnacle - http://www.formulaone.com/en/pinnacle.aspx

3M Ceramic - http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...98-0150-0113-8.

I got my 2012 IS F already installed with 3M Ceramic 30 from the dealership, I am quite pleased with it... it looks awesome - Just wish it was darker

If it didn't have any tint, I would have gone with either Huper Optik X-Treme Ceramic or FomulaOne Pinnacle

Last edited by shahir18; 01-15-14 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-15-14, 09:19 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DreLo
I would go with 3M color stable. 3M provides a 15 year guarantee that it will not fade or turn purple. You'll pay a little more (I paid $280 for all windows except windshield) but it's worth it. Most tint places will offer a lifetime warranty to cover bubbling but not fading.
How much heat does 3M color stable reject? For $280 I can go with Suntek CXP with is Carbon Hybrid film with 53% TSER.
Old 01-15-14, 09:23 PM
DreLo
Rookie

How much heat does 3M color stable reject? For $280 I can go with Suntek CXP with is Carbon Hybrid film with 53% TSER.
3M color stable rejects up to 57%.
Old 01-15-14, 09:33 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

Originally Posted by "that boy"
Top 3 Best Tint:

HüperOptik X-Treme Ceramic or Drei - http://www.huperoptikusa.com/Automotive-series.cfm

LLumar's Formula One Pinnacle - http://www.formulaone.com/en/pinnacle.aspx

3M Ceramic - http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...98-0150-0113-8.

I got my 2012 IS F already installed with 3M Ceramic 30 from the dealership, I am quite pleased with it... it looks awesome - Just wish it was darker

If it didn't have any tint, I would have gone with either Huper Optik X-Treme Ceramic or FomulaOne Pinnacle
That's the Huper Optik I have on my Z and love it! The IR blocking is crazy! Don't forget about Crystalline. Perfect if you can't have tint, but still want the UV and IR blocking. Here is the Huper on my car.
Attached Thumbnails Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-image-978231590.jpg  

Last edited by Lost808; 01-15-14 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!