IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-16, 10:25 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
It honestly depends on how much it bothers you. I feel like there shouldn't be dust following an install. Even the bubbling is a little undesirable, but it should go away after a few days normally. Mine came out perfect so my expectations may be a little unreasonable.
Well, I'll see how it looks the next couple days. Aside from that, there is very minimal water bubbles. Probably, only 2-3 I could spot out. I mean this is only a $200 tint job =\
Old 08-07-16, 09:53 PM
LexusVDS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I can't seen to create a new thread with the issue I am having. But, this seems like the right thread to post under.

So, I recently got my car tinted with Suntek CXP 35% all around. When I was driving at night, I notice lots of glare/light reflections from the rear window when I'm looking that the rear view mirror. The headlights from car behind me looks very distorted.

Although I've only got my car tinted for about 2 days. Is this an issue that can be fixed? Is anyone having or had this issue with rear windshield tint?
Old 08-07-16, 11:06 PM
YoungRider
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here you can see how visable it really is.

Originally Posted by nathantse
Need Advice for window tint..

I've finally made an appointment for tomorrow to get a tint job for my Ultra White 2016 IS350 with Black interior.

The thing is I live in CA, and I know its illegal for front window tints. However, I do want to get an "All -Around" look, as well as be effective in blocking the sun and keeping the car cool.

Since its a white car, I'm amusing the % of tint would look darker than it is... So, I'm debating of either 35% all around or 50% all around. Anyone have pics to compare the two?

I don't want to have it too dark, in which would attract the attention of the cops. =\

(Kind of leaning towards 50%...)
Im also located in CA, specifically NorCal/ BayArea, and went ahead and got 30% non-3M all around and personally think it's the best of both worlds, not to dark not to light. During day one can see through it on sunny days, gloomy days it becomes half way visible . At night becomes dark and hardly visible when standing up close.
Overall it's a nice clean tint to get.

And as for the Cops, I've came across many side by side and many didn't even bother to look over, I've had it for about a year now. Here's mines for comparison, can take some up close as well if needed.
Old 08-12-16, 06:22 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts

for anybody who has 5% on the rear windows, how is visibility at night? i want to do a 5% sunstrip on the windshield and on all the rear windows, and then 20% on the front windows (no windshield besides the sunstrip)
Old 08-12-16, 09:04 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I would like to see 70% or the lightest possible tint you can go.

Anyone know if our side windows are inherently 99+ percent UV rejecting? And rear? I know front automotive glass is inherently UV rejecting due to being laminated.
Old 08-13-16, 07:27 AM
jhardy
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmull3r
for anybody who has 5% on the rear windows, how is visibility at night? i want to do a 5% sunstrip on the windshield and on all the rear windows, and then 20% on the front windows (no windshield besides the sunstrip)
I have 5% on all my windows with the strip on the front. I can see fine at night. Now it is dark but it's not hard to see other traffic during lane switches. And when you're in the city, the street lights add to your visibility. I'd say do 5% on the front instead of 20, you won't regret it
Old 08-13-16, 06:49 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by jhardy
I have 5% on all my windows with the strip on the front. I can see fine at night. Now it is dark but it's not hard to see other traffic during lane switches. And when you're in the city, the street lights add to your visibility. I'd say do 5% on the front instead of 20, you won't regret it
believe me, id love to do 5% in front too, but i live in NJ and im not supposed to have tint in the front at all. really dark windows in the back and light in the front looks weird to me so i at least need 20%. my brothers gf's 335i has 5% all around, and i sat in it and its not bad at all. i enjoy the darker interior tbh
Old 10-08-16, 02:15 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I recently had my tints done again, but this time I went with 35%. They are 3M Color Stable 35%. My old tints were 20% and they were too dark. Aside from being too dark, I was getting noticed by police because my front windshield is tinted as well. Overall, the car looked way too dark! The change was needed. What a difference! Can see better and it's all legal I actually like my car a lot more with the 35% than the 20%, but that's just my opinion. No offense to anyone with 20% (I have other vehicles with 20%). Since this is my daily driver to work and school, I wanted to keep it cool with the authorities! Will post more pictures once the tints heal! Thus, there aren't any close-up pictures!
Attached Thumbnails Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-simoniz-3.jpg   Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-simoniz-1.jpg  
Old 10-08-16, 02:49 PM
geigerbran
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Limo ceramic all the way around with the eyebrow and air80 on the front
Attached Thumbnails Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-photo552.jpg  
Old 10-10-16, 08:16 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It's a sunny day today and so I got to take some pictures of my recently installed tints! 3M Color Stable 35%
Attached Thumbnails Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-cs-1.jpg   Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-cs-2.jpg   Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-cs-3.jpg   Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-cs-4.jpg  
Old 01-05-17, 12:59 AM
tuanyes84
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good Lexi90,

I have the same 2015 Nebula Gray Pearl and was curious how dark to go as I didnt want to go too dark because it would contrast too much with the car and make it look funny. looks like 35% is a good balance!
Old 01-05-17, 06:29 AM
metrik
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much would something like 3M Crystalline cost 5-window? Always liked the look but never bit the bullet on my past cars
Old 01-05-17, 02:04 PM
tuanyes84
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got quoted for the 3m crystalline all 5 windows for around $600. A little bit too steep for me
Old 01-05-17, 06:26 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by metrik
How much would something like 3M Crystalline cost 5-window? Always liked the look but never bit the bullet on my past cars
It depends on your location. It's 6-700 in the LA area
Old 01-05-17, 07:55 PM
tamerica
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by metrik
I got a quote for 475 on 3M Crstalline on all 5 windows on my '14 IS350.

180 for 3M Color Stable
375 for 3M Ceramic

I went with the 3M Color Stable. 35 in the front and 20 on rear/back.

Quick Reply: Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!