IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Aftermarket Wheel Showcase - 3ISx Exclusive

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-20, 04:44 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by OnyxJim
will this setup work on my stock fsport? Also I am assuming I need a spacer, if so what size?
19X8.5 +35.. 245/35
19X9.5 +45.. 275/30 or 19x10 +42...275/30
You should be fine with this at stock height, and no spacer:
19X8.5 +35.. 245/35
19X9.5 +45.. 275/30
The following users liked this post:
OnyxJim (03-11-20)
Old 03-22-20, 01:10 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default tire specs

Hi, i will be picking up a 2016 is350 f sport awd next weekend and had a question about tires. I have a set of 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 +38 wheels that I will be putting on, i am thinking of running 245/35 Front and 275/30 Rear. stock height but lowering the car in the future

would i have any issues with awd?
would i have any issues with rubbing?

thanks
Old 03-22-20, 06:24 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blackisF08
Hi, i will be picking up a 2016 is350 f sport awd next weekend and had a question about tires. I have a set of 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 +38 wheels that I will be putting on, i am thinking of running 245/35 Front and 275/30 Rear. stock height but lowering the car in the future

would i have any issues with awd?
would i have any issues with rubbing?

thanks
When you lower the car the rear will likely rub...depending on how low you go. If you dropped to a 265/30/19 you'd likely be fine.
If the front rim is +38 offset, then depending on the rim design it may not clear the caliper. If the wheels came off a 2IS 350, then you would be ok as the front brakes are the same for the 350 from 2006 to current in terms of the caliper.
Old 03-23-20, 02:06 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

sasnuke, this question is probably for you as you are running 20" wheels on your car. i just came from the red is 250 f-sport that was flooded and replaced with a 2017 is200t f-sport and i really miss the f-sport accessory 19" wheels that i had on my car previously but i was running static on rsr coilovers that drove me absolutely nuts because the car was too low to be truly functional.

is there a way to run the same 19" f-sport accessory wheels without making the car not functional as a daily driver? i don't want to lower the car to the extent that it causes problems going over just about every surface -- from driveways to speed bumps to inclines, etc. when i tried initially placing the 19" accessory wheels on the car at first, they didn't look good until i lowered the car, but would a more mild lowering of the car still allow for the wheels to compliment the car? like, would the factory optional f-sport lowering springs do the job?

i don't want to buy the wheels for nothing, but i do miss them despite the 18" stock f-sport wheels being as great as they are.
Old 03-23-20, 06:17 AM
ownnij
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
sasnuke, this question is probably for you as you are running 20" wheels on your car. i just came from the red is 250 f-sport that was flooded and replaced with a 2017 is200t f-sport and i really miss the f-sport accessory 19" wheels that i had on my car previously but i was running static on rsr coilovers that drove me absolutely nuts because the car was too low to be truly functional.

is there a way to run the same 19" f-sport accessory wheels without making the car not functional as a daily driver? i don't want to lower the car to the extent that it causes problems going over just about every surface -- from driveways to speed bumps to inclines, etc. when i tried initially placing the 19" accessory wheels on the car at first, they didn't look good until i lowered the car, but would a more mild lowering of the car still allow for the wheels to compliment the car? like, would the factory optional f-sport lowering springs do the job?

i don't want to buy the wheels for nothing, but i do miss them despite the 18" stock f-sport wheels being as great as they are.
It seems like the issue was you were too low. You know coilovers can be adjusted to stock height right? Honestly you could just run them with stock suspension. If you want to drop it a little bit then you could get some springs. I went with bc coilovers with swift springs to fill some wheel gap but I’m no where too low. The reason why I went with coilovers is because eventually those stock shocks are going to give out and I thought it would just be better to replace the whole unit. Plus that would eliminate me having to disassemble the shock/spring unit.
Old 03-23-20, 07:05 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ownnij
It seems like the issue was you were too low. You know coilovers can be adjusted to stock height right? Honestly you could just run them with stock suspension. If you want to drop it a little bit then you could get some springs. I went with bc coilovers with swift springs to fill some wheel gap but I’m no where too low. The reason why I went with coilovers is because eventually those stock shocks are going to give out and I thought it would just be better to replace the whole unit. Plus that would eliminate me having to disassemble the shock/spring unit.
i know and in retrospect i should have had the coilovers adjusted. i was indeed way too low.

i could run the wheels at stock height, but i did that for about a month on my previous 3IS and it didn't look good. the large wheels combined with the wheel gap looked bizarre in terms of proportions, so i'm wondering whether the factory f-sport lowering springs (which i bought for my previous IS but never put on because i went straight to coilovers) would be sufficient in reducing that unsightly gap. and i suppose i'll never know that until i have those springs installed before i invest in buying the 19" lexus oem accessory wheels again.

i don't know if there are any further things that i could do.

i was also looking at the 18" g-spider wheels that were used on the GS and i used to run on my 2IS before i purchased my 3IS and which i really like. they are kinda similar from afar, though, to the base model's 18" wheels. if i did order the 18" g-spider wheels, though, i wouldn't have to change tires at all, which would save me quite a bit of money.

basically right now i don't feel as though the car is differentiated at all from all of the other million bajillion ISs on the road in southern california. i'm used to personalizing my car, but i don't want to make the mistakes that i made last time which cost me in ride quality and overall comfort.

here are the 18" g-spider wheels for reference. i can find pictures of them on 2ISs all over the internet, but not on 3ISs other than one guy who was using them as his winter wheels. i live in socal, so they'd be my year round wheels.
Old 03-23-20, 07:33 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davyjordi

Just a suggestion to get you where you want to be...install the F Sport lowering springs, get the F Sport accessory 19 inch wheels staggered, and go slightly oversized with the tire...235/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rear.
Old 03-23-20, 07:49 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Just a suggestion to get you where you want to be...install the F Sport lowering springs, get the F Sport accessory 19 inch wheels staggered, and go slightly oversized with the tire...235/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rear.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm definitely going to install the F Sport lowering springs because I already have them, so why not -- and then I'll assess whether or not the 19" Lexus accessory wheels will look good given the drop (or lack thereof).

I am also really considering the G Spider wheels that I had on my 2IS a long time ago, but I'm not sure if they'd work with this generation of the IS. Thoughts?

Also, I kinda want the 19" accessory OEM wheels, but I kinda want something new as well because it's, well, a brand new car to me and I don't want to try to replicate the old one as much as I loved it.
Old 03-24-20, 12:23 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Got a new new. 2016 IS350 F-Sport... Gonna run the exact same setup as my last one. 19x8.5 +35 w/245/35-19 and 19x9.5 +45 w/275/30-19
Hoping to find someone to buy the factory wheels... hint hint... lol
Old 03-24-20, 03:44 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,632 Posts

The only 19s I've ever liked on the 3IS are these: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10078554

Apparently this member said he found out his wheels were actually not authentic. but it still looked good. But if you stare too long, their size tends to overwhelm the small(ish) 3IS body. Stare at the back 1/3rd of the car w/19s. Although the wheels themselves are nice, the car tends to morph into a shoe-like clown-like car if you stare too much w/ larger wheels. The way the lights swoop and how small the quarter panel is.

I still think 18s are the sweet spot for this car. Nothing looks better than the original 18" F Sports!

Old 03-26-20, 02:34 PM
ownnij
Rookie

that's pretty insane for you to say that those are the only 19s you ever liked on a 3IS... mind blown but i guess people have their own taste.

alright boyss... it's been a long process but finally got my wheels finished and mounted. They're SSR Professor SP1s... i found some used ones from japan for pretty cheap and beat up. Had them shipped with insurance and the unfortunate became the fortunate.. the barrels were damaged and DHL paid for new barrels. It was actually my original plan to rebuild them so this actually worked under my favor. so i had the wheels repaired and powder coated. Man.. these things turned out beautiful. when the light hits these things it just looks crazy and when the light doesn't hit it then it just looks like a basic *** black wheel haha.

Fitment is probably not your most common 38/45 type of offset but i don't rub and there's actually only a 1-1.5 finger tire to fender gap. i'm actually on stock suspension on this set up and man it might not be low but it actually looks pretty good where it's at. I might go Air later on but honestly i'm going to enjoy the car the way it is now and see what happens next.
I'm right at 19x8.5 +30 offset with a 3mm spacer to clear front calipers. 19x9 +24 in the rears.. i thought about rebarreling the rears but decided i would just pocket the insurance money and end up with some really nice cheap wheels thank you baby Jesus!

Old 03-26-20, 06:06 PM
NYis300f
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice!! what are the specs on your wheels / tires?
Old 03-27-20, 05:24 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Looking good...any pics from down the side of the vehicle?
Old 03-27-20, 08:05 AM
ownnij
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Looking good...any pics from down the side of the vehicle?
it

does probably poke like 1-2mm and I do have camber arms installed but idk.. I’ve had full passengers with no issues so I might just leave it alone.
Old 03-27-20, 09:23 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

it
does probably poke like 1-2mm and I do have camber arms installed but idk.. I’ve had full passengers with no issues so I might just leave it alone.
What size tires are you running?

The 19x9 +24 is pretty much at the borderline for clearance.
For those that run 19x9.5 on the rear, to keep it flush they usually run +38...a 19x9 +24 is basically the same as a 19x9.5 +37...so your comment about the poke being 1-2mm is spot on.

If you do go to air in the future the rear will likely hit the fender/bumper area if you air out all the way...unless you add a significant amount of camber.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheel Showcase - 3ISx Exclusive