IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Aftermarket Wheel Showcase - 3ISx Exclusive

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 05:00 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by MilkMonstr
look guys lets just agree to disagree. Im far to busy to argue with folks that refuse to look at other view points. You guys have valid points and some that need way more informatikn. So motor on
It would be nice if you can provide that additional information so that we call could be educated and understand your view point. If you find yourself not so busy and are willing to provide the information, I look forward to reading it.
Old 08-09-17, 06:55 AM
MilkMonstr
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
It would be nice if you can provide that additional information so that we call could be educated and understand your view point. If you find yourself not so busy and are willing to provide the information, I look forward to reading it.
look my friend, as I stated to you this just comes with years and years of experience. However, what you fail or seemingly fail to understand is there is the spectrum with this, as there is with most everything. So for example if you mount a 305 onto a 7 inch wide wheel there is going to be issues ( excessive rollover and possibly debeading) likewise if you mount a 205 onto a 10 1/2 inch wide wheel not only will the bead barely make contact with the shoulder of the rim it will more than likely become debeaded ( probably at a very bad time; for example when going over a speedbump next to some family eating ice cream in which case yes that may not be good)

there is also the middle portion of the spectrum which is where I am at with a 245/35 stretched on a 10 1/2. yes it is more towards extreme side of stretch then the conservative side but again my years and years of experience this isn't going to have an overly negative reaction when the car/wheel/tire come in contact with things such as potholes speed bumps, road joints or other items you would find on the road.

having said all that you never did answer the question as to what makes you the authority.

again I am not advocating everyone stretches their tires its simply a solution for something fitment is one of those things.

so you can go ahead and tell me what makes you the authority other than that I'm done with this for the time being
Old 08-09-17, 07:26 AM
calbeeze
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is soooooo clean!
Old 08-09-17, 10:25 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,632 Posts

I wrote some view points on stancing and why safety matters: why stancing can compromise your safety

be safe, guys =)
Old 08-09-17, 10:31 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

look my friend, as I stated to you this just comes with years and years of experience. However, what you fail or seemingly fail to understand is there is the spectrum with this, as there is with most everything. So for example if you mount a 305 onto a 7 inch wide wheel there is going to be issues ( excessive rollover and possibly debeading) likewise if you mount a 205 onto a 10 1/2 inch wide wheel not only will the bead barely make contact with the shoulder of the rim it will more than likely become debeaded ( probably at a very bad time; for example when going over a speedbump next to some family eating ice cream in which case yes that may not be good)
there is also the middle portion of the spectrum which is where I am at with a 245/35 stretched on a 10 1/2. yes it is more towards extreme side of stretch then the conservative side but again my years and years of experience this isn't going to have an overly negative reaction when the car/wheel/tire come in contact with things such as potholes speed bumps, road joints or other items you would find on the road.
having said all that you never did answer the question as to what makes you the authority.
again I am not advocating everyone stretches their tires its simply a solution for something fitment is one of those things.
so you can go ahead and tell me what makes you the authority other than that I'm done with this for the time being
You are correct, I did not comment on my authority...as it's not pertinent to the topic at hand.
While I do recognize years of experience as being invaluable, weight also has to be given to actual supporting data.
Tire manufacturers do give a range for the width of a rim that a specific size tire can be mounted on. Typically that range is about 1.5 inches.
What I gather from what you are stating is that there is a range even beyond that, that a tire can still be safety mounted and used. Based on your years of experience, you've successfully done this a number of times without issue.
Because that new spectrum is now undefined, at what point is the stretch now too much? Considering we have left the tire manufacturers specifications in the dust.
All I'm suggesting is that it would be nice to have some actual documented data to show what that new spectrum is. And I realize you are stating that comes from years of experience...I understand that.

To put it another way to better illustrate my point...if I was going to have open heart surgery to install a device that was going to sustain my life, I'd feel a lot better knowing that my surgeon is qualified and licensed, has years of experience (once again...invaluable), and that the device he's installing is not going to be expected to perform beyond the manufacturers specifications in order to keep me alive because he [the surgeon] knows better...unless he has documented proof to back it up. I'd rather have the right device operating within the manufacturers specs that will be guaranteed to keep me alive for many years to come. I realize that is an extreme example, but hopefully you see my point.

And for as much as I think I know, I recognize that someone will also know more, and someone else will know more than that person, and so on, and so on...
At this point I count my experience in decades, not years...makes me wonder the things I've forgotten already.
Old 08-09-17, 12:52 PM
MilkMonstr
Rookie

You are correct, I did not comment on my authority...as it's not pertinent to the topic at hand.
While I do recognize years of experience as being invaluable, weight also has to be given to actual supporting data.
Tire manufacturers do give a range for the width of a rim that a specific size tire can be mounted on. Typically that range is about 1.5 inches.
What I gather from what you are stating is that there is a range even beyond that, that a tire can still be safety mounted and used. Based on your years of experience, you've successfully done this a number of times without issue.
Because that new spectrum is now undefined, at what point is the stretch now too much? Considering we have left the tire manufacturers specifications in the dust.
All I'm suggesting is that it would be nice to have some actual documented data to show what that new spectrum is. And I realize you are stating that comes from years of experience...I understand that.

To put it another way to better illustrate my point...if I was going to have open heart surgery to install a device that was going to sustain my life, I'd feel a lot better knowing that my surgeon is qualified and licensed, has years of experience (once again...invaluable), and that the device he's installing is not going to be expected to perform beyond the manufacturers specifications in order to keep me alive because he [the surgeon] knows better...unless he has documented proof to back it up. I'd rather have the right device operating within the manufacturers specs that will be guaranteed to keep me alive for many years to come. I realize that is an extreme example, but hopefully you see my point.

And for as much as I think I know, I recognize that someone will also know more, and someone else will know more than that person, and so on, and so on...
At this point I count my experience in decades, not years...makes me wonder the things I've forgotten already.

Sweet bro...motor on.
Old 08-09-17, 01:10 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Sweet bro...motor on.
I guess when faced with the burden of proof, those that don't have it have nothing left to say.
At least those who might have considered a stretched fitment will reconsider as you were unable to substantiate any of your claims.
And if that was all that was accomplished here...then it was worth the effort.
The following users liked this post:
AquaMayne (10-01-21)
Old 08-09-17, 01:14 PM
MilkMonstr
Rookie

Originally Posted by E46CT
I wrote some view points on stancing and why safety matters: why stancing can compromise your safety

be safe, guys =)

The problem with the article is not only are you obviosuly very bias but the way you delivered the message is poor. Anyone who would happen upon that article will only enjoy it if their views align with yours; many, will
just click off the link.

Having said that you have some valid points and some facts but again the belittling of an entire genre of car folk sours people and there is the small problem of some truths not entirely being true.

Lastly, stancing didnt start with lowriders.....

Keep on keepin on fellas follow me around to other threads, as you are currently doing, and we can waste some
space there too. I'm finished on this thread for now.
Old 08-09-17, 01:17 PM
MilkMonstr
Rookie

I guess when faced with the burden of proof, those that don't have it have nothing left to say.
At least those who might have considered a stretched fitment will reconsider as you were unable to substantiate any of your claims.
And if that was all that was accomplished here...then it was worth the effort.

Nah man when you said you werent going to provide what makes you the authority here (it is pertinent to this conversation) we were done as this says to me you are just a cu$ty person who likes to argue on the internet and judging by your long retorts have alot of time on your hands..
Old 08-09-17, 01:19 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Nah man when you said you werent going to provide what makes you the authority here (it is pertinent to this conversation) we were done as this says to me you are just a cu$ty person who likes to argue on the internet and judging by your long retorts have alot of time on your hands..
And what are your credentials? Besides years of experience.
And for something this important, I'll make the time.
Old 08-09-17, 05:01 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

okay, so i have these wheels that i hope are going on the car tomorrow (2014 IS250). i just need some confirmation as i'm lowered on rs*r down springs. the tires are 19"x8" offset 40mm and 19"x9" offset 40mm. the fronts will be mounted on 235/35/r19 and the rears will be mounted on 255/35/r19.

so, given that information will the wheels fit in your highly-reputed opinions?

wheels for you to examine:
Old 08-09-17, 05:13 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davyjordi
okay, so i have these wheels that i hope are going on the car tomorrow (2014 IS250). i just need some confirmation as i'm lowered on rs*r down springs. the tires are 19"x8" offset 40mm and 19"x9" offset 40mm. the fronts will be mounted on 235/35/r19 and the rears will be mounted on 255/35/r19.

so, given that information will the wheels fit in your highly-reputed opinions?

wheels for you to examine:
Loving the wheels!!! So they ended being a staggered fitment. Even better!

If you're going with 235/35/19 in the front, you could do a 255/35 in the rear or a 265/30. The 255 is narrower than the 265, but the 265 has a smaller sidewall. Both will fit and work just fine, really comes down to personal preference.
My personal choice would be the 265, but i prefer more width than height. Really the difference is down to millimeters. From 20 feet away I doubt you could tell the difference between the two sizes.

Wheels are gonna look awesome either way!
davyjordi (08-09-17)
Old 08-09-17, 05:16 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Loving the wheels!!! So they ended being a staggered fitment. Even better!

If you're going with 235/35/19 in the front, you could do a 255/35 in the rear or a 265/30. The 255 is narrower than the 265, but the 265 has a smaller sidewall. Both will fit and work just fine, really comes down to personal preference.
My personal choice would be the 265, but i prefer more width than height. Really the difference is down to millimeters. From 20 feet away I doubt you could tell the difference between the two sizes.

Wheels are gonna look awesome either way!
thank you! sasnuke to the rescue! i'm just nervous for whatever reason but you've calmed me down. thanks!
Old 08-11-17, 03:03 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

i need advice -- i'm on rs*r down springs right now and it looked great with the 18" g-spider wheel but i just changed to the previous generation's 19" wheel and i feel like it looks as though i'm at stock height again. let me know your guys' opinions! thanks! oh, and please excuse the messy garage!

or will it looked slammed (on springs, anyhow) if i go any lower? i need thoughts and ideas!
sixbanger (11-11-18)
Old 08-11-17, 04:01 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

davyjordi, I have the same wheels but have Swift springs and when I switched from the stock F-sport 18"s to F sport forged 19"s the car sat slightly higher than before. Tire brand, size and diameter will sometimes do that especially if the tires are new and has fresh tread vs your used tires.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheel Showcase - 3ISx Exclusive