Headlight Aiming

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-14, 08:11 PM
14blk250a
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Aiming

Hey guys & gals,

I picked up a 2014 IS 250 AWD in July. I was indecisive about the LED headlights but after a little research, I decided it was a good call. However, now that's in winter and dark out at 4pm I've really noticed how low the LED headlights are aimed. The high beams are even worse! I had a 12 GTI Autobahn and that car had the best headlights I've ever had and I was able to raise the headlights just hair very easily.

At any rate, I spent an hour today trying to figure out how to raise the headlights. Has anyone done a DIY on this yet or can even locate the leveling devices? Also, I wanted to change out the H16 11W fog light bulbs but 11W seems so dim... The average bulb is a 50-55W. Won't that melt the housing?
Old 11-17-14, 09:01 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 14blk250a
Hey guys & gals, I picked up a 2014 IS 250 AWD in July. I was indecisive about the LED headlights but after a little research, I decided it was a good call. However, now that's in winter and dark out at 4pm I've really noticed how low the LED headlights are aimed. The high beams are even worse! I had a 12 GTI Autobahn and that car had the best headlights I've ever had and I was able to raise the headlights just hair very easily. At any rate, I spent an hour today trying to figure out how to raise the headlights. Has anyone done a DIY on this yet or can even locate the leveling devices? Also, I wanted to change out the H16 11W fog light bulbs but 11W seems so dim... The average bulb is a 50-55W. Won't that melt the housing?
For the Fog, you can switch to a good LED fog (H16). I got the Bellof Sirius Boldray LED fog as follows (DBA 1301)

http://www.bellof.co.jp/products/led...b/boldray.html

It is noticeably brighter than the stock halogen light and it has a good light spread. Also a popular choice for the fog used in BRZ and FR-S in Japan.
Old 11-18-14, 02:35 AM
Loe
Pole Position

when you open the hood and look directly down at the back of the headlight unit, you'll see a white plastic hex shaped screw thats 8mm in width, use an 8mm opened end wrench to adjust up/down by turning left or right.
Old 11-18-14, 10:24 AM
14blk250a
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Loe
when you open the hood and look directly down at the back of the headlight unit, you'll see a white plastic hex shaped screw thats 8mm in width, use an 8mm opened end wrench to adjust up/down by turning left or right.
I was thinking that's what that was but I wasn't 100% sure. It also was unclear because of the little diagram on the engine cover that says "LED U/D LED L/R". Will that raise both the low and high beam or can I do those separately? In the headlight beam on the road you can clearly see where the high beam is running into the low beam - there's a bright blob of light at the end of where the low beam hits the road. I'll try to snap a photo tonight when it gets dark.

PS: THANKS!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-14, 10:49 AM
Loe
Pole Position

mine is like that too. there isnt a way to adjust high/low independently.
Old 11-18-14, 11:24 AM
DoomBuggy
Rookie

Check out this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-third-generation/738276-head-light-adjustment-2.html

It helped me out a ton when adjusting my headlights after lowering the car. Its super easy once you get the snap-on cover off.
Old 11-18-14, 01:44 PM
4WDrift
Rookie

Originally Posted by DoomBuggy
Check out this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ustment-2.html

It helped me out a ton when adjusting my headlights after lowering the car. Its super easy once you get the snap-on cover off.
Yes, in that thread simply align the phillips so it engages the teeth on the one side of the hole (not the ususual stick it in the screw head), then turn. Make sure the car is far enough away from the wall to see the movement clearly.

Gary
Old 11-18-14, 06:54 PM
ISTORO
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 14blk250a
Hey guys & gals,

I picked up a 2014 IS 250 AWD in July. I was indecisive about the LED headlights but after a little research, I decided it was a good call. However, now that's in winter and dark out at 4pm I've really noticed how low the LED headlights are aimed. The high beams are even worse! I had a 12 GTI Autobahn and that car had the best headlights I've ever had and I was able to raise the headlights just hair very easily.

At any rate, I spent an hour today trying to figure out how to raise the headlights. Has anyone done a DIY on this yet or can even locate the leveling devices? Also, I wanted to change out the H16 11W fog light bulbs but 11W seems so dim... The average bulb is a 50-55W. Won't that melt the housing?
I adjusted the headlights UP a bit and can see street signs better now. Also changed the halogen fogs to LED's and night vision with both greatly improved.
Old 11-24-14, 09:44 PM
14blk250a
Driver School Candidate

I finally got the time to aim them. I raised both of them by 1.5 turn. It's amazing how much difference that makes!!! For easier access I took the engine covers off, removed the washer fluid pipe leading to the reservoir, removed the air intake assembly (it's really easy, just be patient). I was able to then get excellent access to both headlights.

Which fog LED's did you use? (Link?)nI was thinking about going to yellow fogs but I don't want them to start washing out the headlights.