IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

A/V Input Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-17, 07:29 AM
Jcar1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by badbwoy007
Seems like you need to get the correct 4 pole wire or possibly try rearranging your wire while the 3.5mm jack is fully seated in the socket.

When it comes to the bypass, may have had great success with the Beatsonic. I was considering the ULM-81 but wondering why your unit isn't working without the brake engaged. Was it installed correctly? Have you reached out to the manufacturer?
Thank you Badwboy, you got me thinking I remembered reading in the instructions when I installed the bypass a few months ago that there was a different button sequence for activating the video motion bypass then the navigation bypass. I entered the new button sequence and it now works. I am now waiting on a better quality AV cable that I ordered on Amazon, hopefully that solves my other issue.
For people having scrambled lines or black screen, try pulling out the 3.5 mm Jack one notch. It worked for me on 2 different cables but the sound has bad interference. It's not the best solution but it does work until you get a better cable.

Last edited by Jcar1; 01-18-17 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-18-17, 08:15 AM
badbwoy007
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcar1
Thank you Badwboy, you got me thinking I remembered reading in the instructions when I installed the bypass a few months ago that there was a different button sequence for activating the video motion bypass then the navigation bypass. I entered the new button sequence and it now works. I am now waiting on a better quality AV cable that I ordered on Amazon, hopefully that solves my other issue.
For people having scrambled lines or black screen, try pulling out the 3.5 mm Jack one notch. It worked for me on 2 different cables but the sound has bad interference. It's not the best solution but it does work until you get a better cable.
Awesome! Glad to hear the bypass works as I was considering getting that one as it was a lower price. As for the A/V cable, if the mapping is correct on the 4 pole, it can be seated fully in the slot with no issues pertaining to audio quality.

What year and model car do you have?
Old 01-18-17, 12:53 PM
Jcar1
Driver School Candidate

Seems like you need to get the correct 4 pole wire or possibly try rearranging your wire while the 3.5mm jack is fully seated in the socket.

When it comes to the bypass, many have had great success with the Beatsonic. I was considering the ULM-81 but wondering why your unit isn't working without the brake engaged. Was it installed correctly? Have you reached out to the manufacturer?
Awesome! Glad to hear the bypass works as I was considering getting that one as it was a lower price. As for the A/V cable, if the mapping is correct on the 4 pole, it can be seated fully in the slot with no issues pertaining to audio quality.

What year and model car do you have?
I have a 14 is250 F sport w/navi. I have tried my 3rd cheap cable i had laying around, all with the same result. The picture doesn't look too bad but sound has terrible interference making it difficult to understand the audio.

Video:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Al4Bh_W7_otKgYp0H7hk74tGqhrhyg

Last edited by Jcar1; 01-19-17 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-18-17, 07:34 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

I have a 14 is250 F sport w/navi. I have tried my 3rd cheap cable i had laying around, all with the same result. The picture doesn't look bad in the video but once you play iMovie it gets worse and the sound is very bad.

Video:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Al4Bh_W7_otKgYpyLLKI2hshJdIKIQ

Picture of setup:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Al4Bh_W7_otKgYpyLLKI2hshJdIKIQ
Hi friend. Thanks for sharing your experiences and the video/picture.

I believe you pasted the same link twice though (by accident).

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 01-19-17, 05:32 AM
Jcar1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Hi friend. Thanks for sharing your experiences and the video/picture.

I believe you pasted the same link twice though (by accident).

~ Im2bz2p345
Thank you, I changed the links and they should work now. Video starts showing picture when 3.5mm jack pulled out one notch then I push it in all the way resulting in scrambled lines. I tried every combination with the coupler without success. My new AV cables are coming today though and I will report back.
I have a Galaxy S7 and unfortunately as GSBLKBLK mentioned, there is no video out so I am mirroring the phone through Chromcast with RadioShack RCA to HDMI cable and coupler.

Last edited by Jcar1; 01-19-17 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-19-17, 11:46 AM
badbwoy007
Driver

Thank you, I changed the links and they should work now. Video starts showing picture when 3.5mm jack pulled out one notch then I push it in all the way resulting in scrambled lines. I tried every combination with the coupler without success. My new AV cables are coming today though and I will report back.
I have a Galaxy S7 and unfortunately as GSBLKBLK mentioned, there is no video out so I am mirroring the phone through Chromcast with RadioShack RCA to HDMI cable and coupler.
Sounds like you should have a good report after hooking up the new A/V cord.
Old 01-20-17, 06:44 AM
Jcar1
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like you should have a good report after hooking up the new A/V cord.
Yep, I bought the Zune cable you recommended on Amazon and problem is solved. There is still slight audio interferance, nothing major and think tge coupler is the culprit. I did also buy this $5 cable with female ends hoping I could get rid of the coupler but it has the same problem as the other 3 I tried. Overall I am happy with my setup. Thank you and everyone else on this thread for all the great information.
Old 01-20-17, 07:23 AM
badbwoy007
Driver

Yep, I bought the Zune cable you recommended on Amazon and problem is solved. There is still slight audio interferance, nothing major and think tge coupler is the culprit. I did also buy this $5 cable with female ends hoping I could get rid of the coupler but it has the same problem as the other 3 I tried. Overall I am happy with my setup. Thank you and everyone else on this thread for all the great information.
Grear news! I just got my amazon fire stick yesterday and hooked it up in the car. Pretty neat! Coupled with the Directvnow app download, I was watching tv in the car. Now I just need to pull the trigger on a bypass.
Old 01-22-17, 06:26 AM
Jcar1
Driver School Candidate

Grear news! I just got my amazon fire stick yesterday and hooked it up in the car. Pretty neat! Coupled with the Directvnow app download, I was watching tv in the car. Now I just need to pull the trigger on a bypass.
Definitely get the bypass, it was the first mod I did to my car before I even knew about the AV. I wanted it for the navigation bypass to look up an address or POI while driving, glad I did because it was one less thing I needed to buy for this AV mod. I went with the Vais system because of price, it has the same exact functionality and installation process as the Beatsonic for $100 less. Unfortunately I missed the group buy for $99 and contacted Vias Tech through here but there were extra discounts at the time so I bought it from Amazon so I can get same day shipping and hassle free return if it didn't work for $139.99.
Your lucky with the Direct TV app, I have Xfinity and for some reason the stupid app does not allow my to watch TV when mirroring my screen to Chromcast.

Last edited by Jcar1; 01-22-17 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-22-17, 06:35 AM
badbwoy007
Driver

Definitely get the bypass, it was the first mod I did to my car before I even knew about the AV. I wanted it for the navigation bypass to look up an address or POI while driving, glad I did because it was one less thing I needed to buy for this AV mod. I went with the Vais system because of price, it has the same exact functionality and installation process as the Beatsonic for $100 less. Unfortunately I missed the group buy for $99 and contacted Vias Tech through here but there were extra discounts at the time so I bought it from Amazon so I can get same day shipping and hassle free return if it didn't work for $139.99.
Your lucky with the Direct TV app, I have Xfinity and for some reason the stupid app does not allow my to watch TV when mirroring my screen to Chromcast.
Ok cool. I did contact VAIS directly and they said the "discounted" price of $139.99 was the price and basically a great deal marked down from the retail price. I saw a thread before for the group buy but it was $134.99.

I also contacted Beat-Sonic and they told me the main difference between their module and VAIS is the fact that the video bypass is always on and doesn't need a button sequence.

How do you like your module despite the attractive price point? Seems like so many people went with Beat-Sonic, not sure why.
Old 01-22-17, 02:34 PM
erikinorl
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a great thread!!! Had all the cables need laying around in a box of stuff I used for my older camcorders.
Old 01-22-17, 03:19 PM
gianttama
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question: do I need the bypass module if I want to mirror Google maps while driving? Or will the mirror stop working as soon as the vehicle starts moving?
Old 01-22-17, 03:21 PM
badbwoy007
Driver

Originally Posted by gianttama
Question: do I need the bypass module if I want to mirror Google maps while driving? Or will the mirror stop working as soon as the vehicle starts moving?
You will need the bypass module for any video you want to display while the vehicle is in motion.
Old 01-23-17, 10:59 AM
llcw79
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Iphone charge

First of all, thank you for sharing all the info about A/V input. Finally got it to work.
By the way, how do you guys charge the phone while connecting to A/V port?
I tried to charge the phone connecting another cable to USB port, somehow it kept connect/disconnect phone in the system.
Any idea?

Thx.
Old 01-23-17, 11:10 AM
badbwoy007
Driver

Originally Posted by llcw79
First of all, thank you for sharing all the info about A/V input. Finally got it to work.
By the way, how do you guys charge the phone while connecting to A/V port?
I tried to charge the phone connecting another cable to USB port, somehow it kept connect/disconnect phone in the system.
Any idea?

Thx.
In my setup with the apple HDMI cord, it has a spot to charge the phone.

Not sure how others on Android are doing it with a wired setup.

Some are using this gadget to mirror wirelessly. Then you really don't have a charging issue.

Actiontec ScreenBeam Mini2 Wireless Display Receiver

I wanted to do a wireless setup but it looks like the easiest thing for me is to install an Apple TV, then I would also need to rig up some device to get me the right voltage to power the unit w/out using a cigarette plugged inverter.

The key is to not need wifi in order for this to work while on the road.

Quick Reply: A/V Input Instructions