Old 08-24-15, 01:55 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Answer
Here's the confirmed pinout on the car side:

(Starting from the tip)
Left - Right - Ground - Video

I successfully displayed the video output from a Raspberry PI on the screen. Now, I need to bypass the video in motion block thing to fully enjoy it.
Is the output from the PI pin for pin compatible? I'd love to setup KODI and use that for an info-tainment system.. Just need an addon and an OBD2 adapter to pull vehicle data and could display that too on the screen.

I'm guessing your powering the PI from one of the USB ports in the center console?
Old 08-24-15, 02:08 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never really learned much about the Raspberry and building one as I would have liked to... what are some of the other functionality you got with it?
Old 08-24-15, 02:27 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 836 Likes on 405 Posts

Yes, the PI is pin to pin compatible. I haven't made a lot of things with it yet since I would need the motion bypass to make it worth the time. I was using a cell phone charger when I tried it.
Old 08-24-15, 02:50 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Currently I use it as a KODI box for watching movies on my tv's but there is so much out there for the PI that with a little digging it wouldn't surprise me if someone has already done something similiar with it.

The PI has 2 USB ports on it as well and it runs Linux so theres a good chance that there would be an OBD2 tool for it.

Best to check the raspberryPi forum www.raspberrypi.org
Old 08-24-15, 03:04 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 836 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
Currently I use it as a KODI box for watching movies on my tv's but there is so much out there for the PI that with a little digging it wouldn't surprise me if someone has already done something similiar with it.

The PI has 2 USB ports on it as well and it runs Linux so theres a good chance that there would be an OBD2 tool for it.

Best to check the raspberryPi forum www.raspberrypi.org
I know that there's couple options for OBD2 stuff. It's just way less fun if we cannot use it while in motion (nav as an example). You can pretty much do anything with a PI.
Old 08-24-15, 09:25 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gennacide

Both of those will get you where you need to be

Iphone 5, 5s, 5c, 6 video playback on the 3GS

It really works!
Unfortunately doesn't seem that radioshack still sells this HDMI to composite cable, anyone know of a good short alternative?
Old 08-25-15, 04:05 PM
atomic350
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
Never really learned much about the Raspberry and building one as I would have liked to... what are some of the other functionality you got with it?
You can turn your raspberry pi into a built-in FM transmitter which is really cool(remember those Monster FM tuners for the iPods?) Then you can load any music or recordings onto a flash drive connect it to the pi and your live broadcasting to your cars radio. It still amazes some people lol
Or turn your pi into a tv tuner for the car? possibilities are endless
Old 08-25-15, 04:09 PM
atomic350
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately doesn't seem that radioshack still sells this HDMI to composite cable, anyone know of a good short alternative?
Cant go wrong with these but you may need extra cables.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Wayzon-Composite-Converter-Blue-Ray/dp/B00K3OO5ZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440544085&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi2av http://www.amazon.com/New-Wayzon-Composite-Converter-Blue-Ray/dp/B00K3OO5ZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440544085&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi2av
Old 08-25-15, 06:14 PM
SummerRain
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an electrical engineer, I know that it's not easy to convert digital signal (HDMI) to analog signal (Composite). You really need an active converter, which requires external power such as USB, to convert the signal reliably. I really doubt the quality and compatibility of those HDMI to Composite "passive cable" which doesn't require external power.

You can go with those converter boxes, such as the followings, which will add bulk to our small center console storage.
Amazon.com: Portta 100HC Mini HDMI to 3RCA Composite AV Converter for TV/PC/PS3/Blue-ray DVD1080P,White / Black: Electronics Amazon.com: Portta 100HC Mini HDMI to 3RCA Composite AV Converter for TV/PC/PS3/Blue-ray DVD1080P,White / Black: Electronics

If you want a more sleek and cleaner connection, the only thing I found is this. You will need to pay a price though.
Amazon.com: CRUX VCIP5 HDMI to Composite Conversion Harness: Automotive Amazon.com: CRUX VCIP5 HDMI to Composite Conversion Harness: Automotive
Old 08-25-15, 07:52 PM
starbai
Intermediate

It says it needs 5V from the USB... which the USB ports in the car dont provide that much, is that correct?
Old 08-27-15, 02:59 PM
SummerRain
Driver

It says it needs 5V from the USB... which the USB ports in the car dont provide that much, is that correct?
http://www.cruxinterfacing.com/PDF/VCIP5.pdf

The 5v for converting your video signal can also be provided by the mobile device
According to the manual, it may be optional. If it can obtain enough power from the phone, it doesn't need much. The car USB provide 5V 0.5A of power. I believe that should be adequate. If that fails, you can always purchase a USB car charger. The 12V outlet is located inside the center storage. I personally use this. It's low profile and provide more than enough power to charge my phone.

Amazon.com: SCOSCHE USBC242M 12 Watts per port (24W/4.8A total output) USB Car Charger - the FASTEST CHARGE RATE for Apple and Android Devices - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: SCOSCHE USBC242M 12 Watts per port (24W/4.8A total output) USB Car Charger - the FASTEST CHARGE RATE for Apple and Android Devices - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 09-14-15, 07:18 PM
conradRC
Driver School Candidate

So I purchased
HDE 3ft. Feet RCA Male to 3.5mm Male Jack Composite Audio Video A/V Cable
SMAKN® 0.3m Very Short Flat HDMI V1.4 Cable High Speed + Ethernet Gold 3d HD HDTV Lead-White
Portta 100HC Mini HDMI to 3RCA Composite AV Converter for TV/PC/PS3/Blue-ray DVD1080P,White / Black
Lightning Digital AV Adapter

I left my parking brake on, and I plugged everything in and apparently I have difficulty connecting everything. In the Lexus A/V Settings you can choose USB or A/V... and NTSC or PAL .... I left my settings on USB and NTSC with the NTSC switch on. The HDMI cables are working and the lighting digital av adapter works I believe. But it does not automatically mirror when I have the iPhone connected... Do I need to setup a special mirroring setting in the iPhone? Here is what my screen looks like with everything connected... I tried Red on white yellow or white white on white and every other combination available.

The screen looks like this no matter what even if i change the lexus settings to PAL or NTSC. or A/V or USB...

Tried almost every combination. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated! I really don't want to drive all the way to the lexus dealership to find out they can't really help... Is the actually Portta broken or is the RCA 3.5 a/v cable broken ???

Last edited by conradRC; 09-14-15 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-15-15, 10:42 AM
sdotk
Pole Position

Conrad, i don't use USB, i use the A/V option.
Old 09-15-15, 11:13 AM
conradRC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sdotk
Conrad, i don't use USB, i use the A/V option.
So I'm going to use A/V option and NTSC. Are any of the products I have the wrong item or is everything correct ? My red yellow white cable is a 3.5 head to A/v. Is it supposed to be different like 3.5 to hdmi?
Old 09-15-15, 01:24 PM
brendanf
Advanced

From your picture you can see you dont have the RCA cables seated all the way.

But just incase you did and are still having problems, try this,

Take your iPod with all this and try connecting it to your home tv. You can test the HDMI part of it, then you can try the RCA cables to your TV (most tvs still support an analog RCA video input).

If you get good picture in all these cases then I would say the RCA to 3.5mm jack is your issue.

Quick Reply: A/V Input Instructions