A/V Input Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-15, 10:11 AM
conradRC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna try

Originally Posted by brendanf
From your picture you can see you dont have the RCA cables seated all the way.

But just incase you did and are still having problems, try this,

Take your iPod with all this and try connecting it to your home tv. You can test the HDMI part of it, then you can try the RCA cables to your TV (most tvs still support an analog RCA video input).

If you get good picture in all these cases then I would say the RCA to 3.5mm jack is your issue.
Yeah I didn't fully plug in the yellow red whites as an index to show you what colors I left it in. Ok I'm going to connect the hdmi from the portta into the tv? Then what do I do? I never used this portta before so I'm hesitant to plug and play... Hopefully it works.
Old 09-16-15, 05:09 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Okay, so what I was trying to explain is take everything into the house and test it on a normal tv.

So your setup is like this (for the car)

iPod->LightingAdaptorHDMI->HDMItoRCAConvertor->RCAcableto3.5mmJack

Start with iPod->LightningAdaptorHDMI->TV and connect that to your home tv HDMI port. If you have video and audio, you know THAT part of the chain is good. If you don't get audio/video then you have narrowed your problem down to either the iPod/Adaptor/or HDMI cable.

Then iPod->LightingAdaptorHDMI->HDMIRCAConvertor->TV (using some old RCA cables..) If you have audio and video, then you know that part is good. If it doesn't work but it worked in step one, then you know the rcaconvertor box is bad. If everything works, then the only parts left is the rca to 3.5mm adaptor and the car itself.
Old 10-28-15, 06:00 AM
ebenedito
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by conradRC
Yeah I didn't fully plug in the yellow red whites as an index to show you what colors I left it in. Ok I'm going to connect the hdmi from the portta into the tv? Then what do I do? I never used this portta before so I'm hesitant to plug and play... Hopefully it works.
Hey conradRC, did you get any luck with this? I'm having the same issue that you're having.
Old 10-28-15, 06:15 AM
victorpho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ebenedito
Hey conradRC, did you get any luck with this? I'm having the same issue that you're having.
I was looking into this last night and somewhere it says you have to get the correct RCA/AV cable. Basically try to plug the thing in completely. You will see that it works with a little bit of static. I am actually going to radio shack today to see if theres a better cable than the one i got off amazon.
Old 10-28-15, 10:23 AM
conradRC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by victorpho
I was looking into this last night and somewhere it says you have to get the correct RCA/AV cable. Basically try to plug the thing in completely. You will see that it works with a little bit of static. I am actually going to radio shack today to see if theres a better cable than the one i got off amazon.

I found out the problem. I bought a cheap $3-5 yellow white red cable to aux and it didn't work originally. So I ended up going to RadioShack and spending $20 for a overpriced wire but it worked
Old 10-28-15, 10:35 AM
conradRC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by victorpho
Buy a new rca-aux cable from RadioShack instead of Amazon
Old 10-28-15, 10:49 AM
victorpho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by conradRC
Buy a new rca-aux cable from RadioShack instead of Amazon
funny. i did this today and it still doesnt work correctly. can you link me the one you bought? it works when i dont push the cable all the way in, but if i do, it give sme static.

thanks
Old 10-28-15, 10:54 AM
victorpho
Driver School Candidate

http://www.radioshack.com/gigaware-c...t/1600894.html

this was the one i got at radioshack.
Old 01-26-16, 06:36 AM
Werox
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to share some pics of my upgrade:

Old 01-26-16, 06:56 AM
gennacide
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Werox

Thats sick!!!! I thought about doing this. I tried an amazon fire stick and a chromecast but the words were all too small and blurry to read. I didn't want all that mess in my console. Really cool!
Old 01-26-16, 07:23 AM
Answer
Instructor

Received 836 Likes on 405 Posts

Details on the setup? Did you install a bypass?
Old 01-26-16, 08:12 AM
starbai
Intermediate

images
So I successfully did this a few months ago as well, and its great, my biggest problem was the inverter I was using to power the apple tv unit itself was causing interference and I was getting a few wavy lines. (lines that didn't appear when i bypassed apple TV and plugged my phone in directly) - so i'm fairly confident its not my cables but the inverter doing it. Can you post how you're getting power to your apple TV? what inverter in particular?
Old 01-26-16, 09:07 AM
GiN4tHeWiN
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Share details please, Werox!
Old 01-26-16, 11:58 AM
Werox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Answer
Details on the setup? Did you install a bypass?
Originally Posted by GiN4tHeWiN
Share details please, Werox!
Originally Posted by starbai
Can you post how you're getting power to your apple TV? what inverter in particular?
Basically this is an Apple TV 3 with replaced AC module, I used the cheapest one to convert 5V, see the link below. I struggled with HDMI to AV converter and finished with RadioShack one, it is not cheap but the quality is great and moreover it doesn't require external power.

I barely can notice a noise on a display, this is probably caused by DC module, but I will try to shild it like apple does in its original power unit.

And the most hard thing for me was to find appropriate WORKING AV cable (that RSA to 3.5 jack). I tried like 4 of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400749241579?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 06-17-16, 07:24 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Do I still use the 4-pole AUX cable or the regular one will suffice if I don't care about video - audio only?

Quick Reply: A/V Input Instructions