IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

A/V Input Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-17, 10:48 PM
jlopez3983
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does this work while driVing? I'm looking to put a second front view camera so I don't scrape my lip all over the place.
Old 01-12-17, 10:28 AM
badbwoy007
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jlopez3983
Does this work while driVing? I'm looking to put a second front view camera so I don't scrape my lip all over the place.
No this won't work while driving unless you install a bypass.
Old 01-12-17, 10:31 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jlopez3983

You should go to BeatSonic's website. They have a device to do exactly what you want.
Old 01-12-17, 11:21 AM
Rrgirgis
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default it worked perfect!

Originally Posted by badbwoy007
No problem!
I wanted to confirm that the overpriced 40$ radio shack HDMI to RCAconverter worked flawlessly for me as well (2016 GS-F). While at radio shack i also picked up an RCA female coupler to conect my 3.5mm rca plug to the radio chack converter. I purchased a cheap 4 pole 3.5mm rca cable from frys electronics and it works fine. Even if the 3.5mm rca cable you have doesnt match the colors as long as you switch them it will still work perfect. The major part is that radio shack adaptor that makes the picture quality awesome.

i tested the hdmi mini converter box and the picture quality was also grainy and had some lines, so the radio shack adaptor fixed that.

I noticed that in the screen settings if you select "zoomed" when you rotate your phone it fills in the entire screen perfect! It only cuts off a little at the top when your in verticle screen mode which most of us wont use that much as its too small to read anything...

i got the lightining cable extention cable from amazon so that way i can leave all the wiring inside the center console and just have then one lighting cable coming out so it looks cleaner.

as a side note i do have the beatsonic nav override installed so i can watch while in motion.. contact beatsonic on PM for special CL pricing if interested on the override, eric at beatsonic is a great guy and is very helpful!

thanks for your testing badbwoy007

Last edited by Rrgirgis; 01-12-17 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 11:26 AM
badbwoy007
Driver

Originally Posted by Rrgirgis
I wanted to confirm that the overpriced 40$ radio shack HDMI to RCAconverter worked flawlessly for me as well (2016 GS-F). While at radio shack i also picked up an RCA female coupler to conect my 3.5mm rca plug to the radio chack converter. I purchased a cheap 4 pole 3.5mm rca cable from frys electronics and it works fine. Even if the 3.5mm rca cable you have doesnt match the colors as long as you switch them it will still work perfect. The major part is that radio shack adaptor that makes the picture quality awesome.

i also tested the hdmi mini converter box and the picture quality was also grainy and had some lines, so the radio shack adaptor fixed that.

i also noticed that in the screen settings if you select "zoomed" when you rotate your phone it fills in the entire screen perfect! It only cuts off a little at the top when your in verticle screen mode which most of us wont use that much as its too small to read anything...

as a side note i do have the beatsonic nav override installed so i can watch while in motion.. contact beatsonic on PM for special CL pricing if interested on the override, eric at beatsonic is a great guy and is very helpful!

thanks for your testing badbwoy007
Awesome, Glad it worked out for you. Some people are buying cables that don't work regardless of the switching the wires around. I guess you got lucky on the first shot.

How much were you able to get your bypass for from eric?

I'm contemplating trying out the VIAS ULM-81 for $140. Should work the same as Beatsonic.
Old 01-12-17, 11:35 AM
Rrgirgis
Rookie

Awesome, Glad it worked out for you. Some people are buying cables that don't work regardless of the switching the wires around. I guess you got lucky on the first shot.

How much were you able to get your bypass for from eric?

I'm contemplating trying out the VIAS ULM-81 for $140. Should work the same as Beatsonic.
I was reading people saying the 3.5mm cable was not working but i think those people might have got the converter box with the wrong direction. For example they make Identical looking hdmi mini boxes but one is HDMI - RCA and another is RCA - HDMI, we need the first one HDMI-RCA for it to work....just another thing to rule out before its determined the 3.5mm cable

I would definitely go with the beatsonic override, the quality of the product is top notch and most importantly they are around and supporting the override and intergration for lexus models. I didnt pay that much more than 140$ but you have to PM him for special pricing but it is a good amount below msrp on listed on the website.
Old 01-12-17, 11:38 AM
badbwoy007
Driver

Originally Posted by Rrgirgis
I was reading people saying the 3.5mm cable was not working but i think those people might have got the converter box with the wrong direction. For example they make Identical looking hdmi mini boxes but one is HDMI - RCA and another is RCA - HDMI, we need the first one HDMI-RCA for it to work....just another thing to rule out before its determined the 3.5mm cable

I would definitely go with the beatsonic override, the quality of the product is top notch and most importantly they are around and supporting the override and intergration for lexus models. I didnt pay that much more than 140$ but you have to PM him for special pricing but it is a good amount below msrp on listed on the website.
Good point on the converter box, simple but could be an oversight for some.

I will PM him now to see what he can offer for pricing. Thanks.
Old 01-12-17, 02:30 PM
Jpmpr33
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Not

i have the same av output cable and have tried switching the wires around but cant get the video to work. I also have a high speed hdmi cable and a hdmi2av box am i doing anything wrong
Old 01-12-17, 07:08 PM
Rrgirgis
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jpmpr33
i have the same av output cable and have tried switching the wires around but cant get the video to work. I also have a high speed hdmi cable and a hdmi2av box am i doing anything wrong
your setup looks correct but your RCA AV wires look like there not all the way into the converter box. Try pushing them all the way down onto the converter box.

Also Try and use a cigarette usb adaptor to power the converter box sometimes the power supplied from the cars usb isnt powerful enough.

If that doesnt work maybe try the radio shack non powered converter that has been recommended.

and try also having the ebrake on while parked that might be preventing the video from displaying.

Last edited by Rrgirgis; 01-12-17 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-12-17, 07:23 PM
badbwoy007
Driver

Originally Posted by Jpmpr33
That same cable ran true to the actual colors coded on the cable and box, I didn't have to switch anything around.

You can also start by just testing the cable alone, but you will need a couple to hook it up to something like a dvd player or game system.
Old 01-17-17, 11:00 AM
Jcar1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been following This Thread and trying to get this setup to work with some success. I am using the RadioShack RCA to HDMI and the only way I could get the video to come up as if I pull my 3.5mm to AV cable out 1 notch, otherwise it's very grainy. I have tried rearranging the wires in the coupler without Improvement. I am guessing this is due to the cheap 3.5mm cable I'm using.
My biggest issue though is I cannot get any picture without the parking brake engaged but do have the Vais motion bypass installed. I read that somebody successfully is using this setup with the BeatSonic but has anyone got the motion working with Vais bypass ULM-81? If yes is there any other special instructions to get it working besides the regular way to bypass which is by holding the end call Button for 2 seconds?

The issue is not with the bypass I have been using it for several months now without any issues but wondering if it's not compatible for some reason with this setup

Last edited by Jcar1; 01-17-17 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-17-17, 11:05 AM
badbwoy007
Driver

Originally Posted by Jcar1
I have been following This Thread and trying to get this setup to work with some success. I am using the RadioShack RCA to HDMI and the only way I could get the video to come up as if I pulled my 3.5mm to AV cable out notch, otherwise it's grainy. I have tried rearranging the wires in the coupler without Improvement. I am guessing this is due to the cheap 3.5mm cable I'm using. My biggest issue though is I cannot get any picture without the parking brake engaged but do have the Vais motion bypass installed. I read that somebody successfully is using this setup with the beatSonic but has anyone got the motion working with Vais bypass ULM-81?
Seems like you need to get the correct 4 pole wire or possibly try rearranging your wire while the 3.5mm jack is fully seated in the socket.

When it comes to the bypass, many have had great success with the Beatsonic. I was considering the ULM-81 but wondering why your unit isn't working without the brake engaged. Was it installed correctly? Have you reached out to the manufacturer?

Last edited by badbwoy007; 01-18-17 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-17-17, 12:02 PM
GSBLKBLK
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Screen Mirroring - Resolved

Finally got this thing working. Long story short, found out my phone (galaxy S7 Edge) doesn't allow for a hard wire HDMI out (called MHL connection). So as I was contemplating sending back everything I already purchased, I came across a screen mirroring device. Went to bust buy, bought it, plugged it into my HDMI to AV converter and BAM. Here's list of all materials that I used and it works well. I'll also post this is the other forum I've been posting in, believe its a forum titled "screen mirroring issues"

HDMI to AV Converter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A/V Output Cables (that actually work with Lexus, no coupler needed, matching the colors up white with white, red with red, yellow with yellow)

Wireless Screen Casting Device:
https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Scr...ywords=PTV3000

Thanks to everyone who assisted me. I installed my Beat Sonic Navi bypass previously (which I highly recommend) so I am good to go. Just have to remember to look up every once and a while
The following 2 users liked this post by GSBLKBLK:
badbwoy007 (01-17-17), Im2bz2p345 (01-17-17)
Old 01-17-17, 12:12 PM
badbwoy007
Driver

Originally Posted by GSBLKBLK
Finally got this thing working. Long story short, found out my phone (galaxy S7 Edge) doesn't allow for a hard wire HDMI out (called MHL connection). So as I was contemplating sending back everything I already purchased, I came across a screen mirroring device. Went to bust buy, bought it, plugged it into my HDMI to AV converter and BAM. Here's list of all materials that I used and it works well. I'll also post this is the other forum I've been posting in, believe its a forum titled "screen mirroring issues"

HDMI to AV Converter:

A/V Output Cables (that actually work with Lexus, no coupler needed, matching the colors up white with white, red with red, yellow with yellow)

Wireless Screen Casting Device:
https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Scr...ywords=PTV3000

Thanks to everyone who assisted me. I installed my Beat Sonic Navi bypass previously (which I highly recommend) so I am good to go. Just have to remember to look up every once and a while
Good deal! Glad to hear you finally got it figured out! So you were able to use the wireless receiver to mirror your phone wirelessly without WiFi?
Old 01-17-17, 12:20 PM
GSBLKBLK
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Good deal! Glad to hear you finally got it figured out! So you were able to use the wireless receiver to mirror your phone wirelessly without WiFi?
Yea. Via Samsung Smart View option on the phone. Picked it up right away.

Was watching Amazon Prime Video on the way back to work from Best Buy and there's a tiny touch of feedback and some lag every minute or so, but northing I cant deal with. I think the feedback may be because I have all the cables bunched together in my glove box. I'm going to somehow secure them to the bottom of my glove box, spread out to see if that helps. I think the main reason people are having issues is the AV cables. The ones you showed me work perfectly

Quick Reply: A/V Input Instructions