IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 F-Sport vs RC 350 F-Sport / Which one would you buy and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 03:02 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
I bought the 2015 IS350 F-Sport. On the day I purchased it, the dealer had their first RC350 shipments. It (RC350) was definitely a nice looking car and I've always wanted a coupe. That being said, I checked out the backseats and its tiny! The IS already has limited (relative) backseat space, space issues are compounded with the RC, but that's just the nature of a coupe.

Performance wise, you're not giving up anything. However, if you want to get technical, the RC gives up 250 lbs more.

They also subtle changed the layout of the center console. The mouse is replaced with a trackpad, which I assume is better.

Lastly and most importantly, I had a GREAT deal on the IS350. RC350, they weren't budging as much.

If I were to do it again, I'd still give the nod to IS350 with all factors considered.
I agree! Backseats on the RC are super tiny. And yes, the RC weights 250 lbs. more than the IS. Finally, my local dealers aren't really discounting much on the RC's claiming that they just got them! That's b.s. You should be able to get discounts on any new car regardless of when it hit the showroom. Now, I know of some situations where a car is new to the market and if you want it right then you would end up paying more than if you waited for a little while.
Old 12-10-14, 03:04 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by scarboy693
IS for me too. Personally I wanted a Sedan anyway since I like the practicality. Plus the RC350 loaded up is about 4K more plus as anthony mentioned, its a new car so the price gap will only increase since dealers are willing to budge on the IS's price
You're right! In my area an RC350 F-Sport AWD is 4-5K more than the IS350 F-Sport AWD. Not to mention that they are rare here still. Have only seen one in my dealers here in CT
Old 12-10-14, 03:10 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuongzzz
I planned to get the RC350 fsport when it arrive the dealer , after I took a look and test drove it , I feel it's not worth for $55,000 (I owned the Infiniti g37s before and it's much better if u drive and compare it) , it's exactly the same interior and engine with is350 , just different exterior but the RC 350 front is ugliest while the is350 front is very nice so will u pay $10,000 more just for 2 door ? I change my mind and bought the is350 3 weeks ago , save $10k to upgrade something fun for my is350 .
I feel you! I thought the RC was overpriced when I saw it. I mean, don't get me wrong - it's a nice coupe, but there are others out there with more power and for less money (i.e. G37) I think both the RC and IS are nice cars. I don't think the front of the RC is ugly.
Old 12-10-14, 03:11 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cFoo
If I don't need the rear doors, I'd get the RC in a heart beat. I saw the RC at the dealer this weekend, the lines are beautiful. IMO the RC represents the true L-finesse design philosophy. The IS is like a stretched RC, a Panamera to a 911.
Indeed! The lines are beautiful! Specially on a black one
Old 12-10-14, 03:14 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tea
I'd still go with the IS. I can't get over how ugly the rear of the rc is. That, and the fact that they aren't really discounting the rc, you can save about $7-8,000 getting the IS right now
That's the major con for the RC - dealers aren't discounting. Are you sure I can save about $7,000-$8,000 here in New England? Would really love it
Old 12-10-14, 03:17 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rebirthing
I'd pick the IS over RC (F-Sport versions) any day
The IS is simply more convenient, better looking, and cheaper!
That's my parents' input!
Old 12-10-14, 03:22 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350SWFL
Depends what your needs are...if you need a useable backseat then don't even think about the RC...there is ZERO backseat room. When I sat in one in the showroom, the back of the front seat touched the backseat.

If you don't need a backseat, then the coupe is sportier and looks better (opinion of course).

I have a 3 month old, so I had to go with the IS35 F Sport...but if I didn't have a baby, I would've gotten the coupe.
Yeah, I need a backseat. Mainly for my stuff, bags, and some passengers occasionally That's why the RC isn't looking like a good fit for me.
Old 12-10-14, 03:27 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CtSFox
I purchased the IS and would choose it again over the RC. I am past middle aged. I find the IS seats more comfortable than the RC. Also, the "flames" simulated coming out of the rear end are a little to young looking for me.

However, the RC is a beautiful vehicle. If I were much younger, I would choose the RC.
I thought so, too! The seats of the IS felt softer and more comfortable than those of the RC. It may sound weird, but that's what I felt and experienced! And lol @ "If I were much younger, I would choose the RC" You're contradicting yourself - You don't need to be young to drive the car you like! I never thought a middle aged person would buy the IS with F-Sport! Can't picture my dad doing that
Old 12-10-14, 05:14 PM
elevenb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been an IS350 F-Sport owner for about two weeks. (So I'm an expert by now...) I'm 6'4, and getting into, and out of, the IS is about the only negative experience I have had to date. The pillar is just too far forward. While I was at the dealership buying the IS, the RC was on the showroom floor, and the longer door would have been perfect for someone of my height. Other than that, I love the IS.
Old 12-11-14, 06:24 AM
IS3F
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally can't stand those black plastic pieces on the bumper.

The RCF doesn't have it but that's out of my price range..
Old 12-11-14, 07:51 AM
FrOHiKE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS 350 F-Sport ALL DAY. Don't like the look of the RC IMO.
Old 12-12-14, 07:45 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by elevenb
I've been an IS350 F-Sport owner for about two weeks. (So I'm an expert by now...) I'm 6'4, and getting into, and out of, the IS is about the only negative experience I have had to date. The pillar is just too far forward. While I was at the dealership buying the IS, the RC was on the showroom floor, and the longer door would have been perfect for someone of my height. Other than that, I love the IS.
I agree. That's the only complaint I got for the IS - getting in and out. Regarding the longer door on the RC, that made it look like it's bigger inside. It just looks like a stretched IS
Old 12-12-14, 07:46 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS3F
I personally can't stand those black plastic pieces on the bumper.

The RCF doesn't have it but that's out of my price range..
I've heard that comment lately. However, it ain't that bad on dark colors (the one I saw in the showroom was Black)
Old 12-12-14, 07:47 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrOHiKE
IS 350 F-Sport ALL DAY. Don't like the look of the RC IMO.
I think I've made up my mind - IS it is!
Old 12-12-14, 07:48 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

I think I've made up mind! Going for the IS. Stepping into dealer tomorrow for a special event they have - will report later. Thanks for your input guys!

Quick Reply: IS 350 F-Sport vs RC 350 F-Sport / Which one would you buy and why?