IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 FSport questions. Colors, Pricing RWD/AWD? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-15, 12:13 AM
Ms350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 350 FSport questions. Colors, Pricing RWD/AWD? Opinions?

Hi! I'm a returning member. Joined back in 2006 when I bought my RX. Now I'm here for the IS 350 F Sport. Few questions/opinions if I may, I'm hoping to seal the deal on an IS tomorrow.

December to Remember….best offer for the IS350 was 6% off MSRP. The prices paid thread seemed all over the place, but the sites like KBB and True car were citing about the same discount. The place was packed and it didn't seem as through they needed to discount. It IS the only Dealership within about a 2.5 hour drive. Anyone else deal during this season's "event" and if so, were you cited a specific percentage? I prefer to deal locally, but if they try to pull any monkey business I am not afraid to deal over the internet to work out a deal. They keep telling me the best discount I will get on this vehicle is 3% after Monday. Scare tactic?

What's your favorite color? What about AWD vs. RWD? I live in the PNW, I *assumed* I should be going for an AWD due to the frequent rainy and occasionally (sometimes rarely) snowy climate. After driving and falling in love with an Atomic Silver IS350 F Sport, the sales person tells me, oops, that was a RWD. I had her check AWD inventory. The only other color I loved was White. It was getting dark so I didn't see these colors in the bright light of day, but from what I could tell the A Silver looked sleeker, with more defined lines. The white, had a great contrast with the black, was bright and clean looking but seemed a bit more "chunky", less sleek. This could have totally been the lighting. Honestly, there were things I really loved about both colors and in the big picture I think I would be thrilled with either. There was potentially an AWD Nebula Gray, but a salesperson was letting a customer take it overnight, but had not reserved it as a sold unit (yet) I refused to consider it at that point since I didn't want to take away someone's car, although "technically" it was for sale until someone bought it or at least reserved it with a deposit. It could be a possibility when I go in tomorrow. Since then I have read dozens of opinions that AWD really isn't necessary and that the added weight and 6 speed (vs 8 in the RWD) are downsides to the AWD, not to mention the added cost and reduced gas mileage of AWD. So now I'm wondering should I go in tomorrow and take the Atomic Silver RWD (if still available) or opt for the AWD anyway for the added safety if nothing else.

My post is rambling and a little all over the place, but It's late and I'm ready to call it a night so too bad, I'm not tweaking it! ;-)

I hope some of you chime in with your opinions on pricing, color and RW/AW preferences before I head to the dealership tomorrow.

Thanks!!
Old 01-04-15, 12:42 AM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You're better off with AWD,which it will hit your MPG but it's the price you pay for peace of mind. I personally like Silver Linings Metallic because its low maintenance, but Nebula Gray would be a close 2nd choice. If you're in Washington go to Lexus of Bellevue (they have nebula pearl and atomic silver in AWD). On a side note, get the ML package, it's an extra $900 but worth it. Looks like 5.5%-6% off MSRP is about the average, that said start at 11% and work your way down. You don't get unless you ask first :P.

Last edited by theoryguy3; 01-04-15 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-04-15, 06:39 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms350
Hi! I'm a returning member. Joined back in 2006 when I bought my RX. Now I'm here for the IS 350 F Sport. Few questions/opinions if I may, I'm hoping to seal the deal on an IS tomorrow.

December to Remember….best offer for the IS350 was 6% off MSRP. The prices paid thread seemed all over the place, but the sites like KBB and True car were citing about the same discount. The place was packed and it didn't seem as through they needed to discount. It IS the only Dealership within about a 2.5 hour drive. Anyone else deal during this season's "event" and if so, were you cited a specific percentage? I prefer to deal locally, but if they try to pull any monkey business I am not afraid to deal over the internet to work out a deal. They keep telling me the best discount I will get on this vehicle is 3% after Monday. Scare tactic?

What's your favorite color? What about AWD vs. RWD? I live in the PNW, I *assumed* I should be going for an AWD due to the frequent rainy and occasionally (sometimes rarely) snowy climate. After driving and falling in love with an Atomic Silver IS350 F Sport, the sales person tells me, oops, that was a RWD. I had her check AWD inventory. The only other color I loved was White. It was getting dark so I didn't see these colors in the bright light of day, but from what I could tell the A Silver looked sleeker, with more defined lines. The white, had a great contrast with the black, was bright and clean looking but seemed a bit more "chunky", less sleek. This could have totally been the lighting. Honestly, there were things I really loved about both colors and in the big picture I think I would be thrilled with either. There was potentially an AWD Nebula Gray, but a salesperson was letting a customer take it overnight, but had not reserved it as a sold unit (yet) I refused to consider it at that point since I didn't want to take away someone's car, although "technically" it was for sale until someone bought it or at least reserved it with a deposit. It could be a possibility when I go in tomorrow. Since then I have read dozens of opinions that AWD really isn't necessary and that the added weight and 6 speed (vs 8 in the RWD) are downsides to the AWD, not to mention the added cost and reduced gas mileage of AWD. So now I'm wondering should I go in tomorrow and take the Atomic Silver RWD (if still available) or opt for the AWD anyway for the added safety if nothing else.

My post is rambling and a little all over the place, but It's late and I'm ready to call it a night so too bad, I'm not tweaking it! ;-)

I hope some of you chime in with your opinions on pricing, color and RW/AW preferences before I head to the dealership tomorrow.

Thanks!!
It's all based on your personal preferences. If you can get away with the RWD, then pull through trigger on the Atomic Silver. If you really need an AWD and want to have peace of mind, then have the dealer locate an AWD for you or get the Nebula Gray Pearl one. As for the discount on the IS350, that's about the average discount reported by members here. I got quoted $3,000 off MSRP of 49,xxx. I said no to it and saved 13% off an AWD IS250 F-Sport. Good luck with negotiations! Keep us posted
Old 01-04-15, 07:43 AM
Ms350
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexi90
It's all based on your personal preferences. If you can get away with the RWD, then pull through trigger on the Atomic Silver. If you really need an AWD and want to have peace of mind, then have the dealer locate an AWD for you or get the Nebula Gray Pearl one. As for the discount on the IS350, that's about the average discount reported by members here. I got quoted $3,000 off MSRP of 49,xxx. I said no to it and saved 13% off an AWD IS250 F-Sport. Good luck with negotiations! Keep us posted
So you're the one I read got 13% off MSRP! I'm not sure how you did it, they won't even consider that at my dealership, but I haven't tried the 250. In fact, I'm being told the 6% is of the table after Monday. I don't know if they are serious or just a scare tactic. They said they could switch out inventory with another dealer to get an AWD in Atomic but unless the transaction happened by Monday (and it wouldn't) they could only give me 3% discount on it. I've negotiated plenty of cars before this, but they have never been this stiff armed about it. I got a better discount on my RX back on 06. They did only have about 10 left in stock (AWD and RWD combined) and I saw 2 leaving during my visit there. The place was not hungry for business in the least. I went to Infiniti and was the only person there. One nice thing about the other dealerships/brands I looked at, NONE of them did the, "My Manager wants to speak with you before you go" thing, Lexus still did. I hate that.

I thought it was interesting that neither of you suggested getting the white. I have to wonder why, or is it just personal preference? I have a Flint Mica (Dark Gray) RX and have a love/hate relationship with the color. If it's just washed/buffed out, looks amazing. The slightest rain/dust gets on it, which is ALL the time in the PNW, it looks like I haven't washed it in ages. I told myself I would be getting a LIGHT color next time. I still want the color to pop though. As far as personal preferences (vs. availability vs pricing) The blue, red, silver lining are all out…. they look nice, but they don't grab my attention like the Atomic or White does. The Nebula looked much lighter than my current Gray, but hubby pointed out, it's still darker than the others and it is GRAY, which is what I've had for 7+ years.

I'm hoping today won't be too overcast or rainy so I can get a better feel for the colors. It might all boil down to what's available. I KNOW the AWD White will be there, I have that held. Husband thinks I should just get the AWD and have the security, which I likely will, unless I feel it takes the fun away from the drive. I loved the way the RWD felt, I just didn't know that's what I was driving until I got back to the showroom.
Old 01-04-15, 10:06 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Ms350....I have a white on order (350 F sport AWD) and I live in Canada. I don't drive my vehicles in the sow/rain and would have ordered a RWD except I hate being locked or forced to buy a vehicle if it arrives and change my mind. The dealer only stocks AWD so getting a RWD would have meant a non-refundable deposit and wasn't prepared to do it.

In my opinion, you don't need an AWD in the rain but it sure is nice/almost required for the snow. If you have another vehicle you can drive while it snows, then get the RWD otherwise, get the AWD.

I think the white looks amazing and I think heads will turn
Old 01-04-15, 12:36 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

So you're the one I read got 13% off MSRP! I'm not sure how you did it, they won't even consider that at my dealership, but I haven't tried the 250. In fact, I'm being told the 6% is of the table after Monday. I don't know if they are serious or just a scare tactic. They said they could switch out inventory with another dealer to get an AWD in Atomic but unless the transaction happened by Monday (and it wouldn't) they could only give me 3% discount on it. I've negotiated plenty of cars before this, but they have never been this stiff armed about it. I got a better discount on my RX back on 06. They did only have about 10 left in stock (AWD and RWD combined) and I saw 2 leaving during my visit there. The place was not hungry for business in the least. I went to Infiniti and was the only person there. One nice thing about the other dealerships/brands I looked at, NONE of them did the, "My Manager wants to speak with you before you go" thing, Lexus still did. I hate that.

I thought it was interesting that neither of you suggested getting the white. I have to wonder why, or is it just personal preference? I have a Flint Mica (Dark Gray) RX and have a love/hate relationship with the color. If it's just washed/buffed out, looks amazing. The slightest rain/dust gets on it, which is ALL the time in the PNW, it looks like I haven't washed it in ages. I told myself I would be getting a LIGHT color next time. I still want the color to pop though. As far as personal preferences (vs. availability vs pricing) The blue, red, silver lining are all out…. they look nice, but they don't grab my attention like the Atomic or White does. The Nebula looked much lighter than my current Gray, but hubby pointed out, it's still darker than the others and it is GRAY, which is what I've had for 7+ years.

I'm hoping today won't be too overcast or rainy so I can get a better feel for the colors. It might all boil down to what's available. I KNOW the AWD White will be there, I have that held. Husband thinks I should just get the AWD and have the security, which I likely will, unless I feel it takes the fun away from the drive. I loved the way the RWD felt, I just didn't know that's what I was driving until I got back to the showroom.
Yeap, that's me Even the finance manager didn't understand how I got that discount. I guess it was meant to be! Regarding the color choices, I was debating between Ultra White and Nebula Gray Pearl. My dealer had to order the UW, while the NGP was available and it was the last one in stick for IS F-Sport inventory. So i went with the NGP and was able to get a 13% discount off MSRP. It all comes to whether you'll be happy with your decision. In the beginning, I didn't like the gray cause it was dirty and was sitting out on the lot. When I arrived to pick it up, it was so shiny and nice that even the salesman noticed the look on my face! I'm now very happy that I went with Nebula Gray Pearl Good luck with your negotiations!

Here's my thread on Ultra White vs Nebula Gray Pearl:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-and-why.html
Old 01-04-15, 07:47 PM
Ms350
Rookie

Default The deed is done.

I got my IS350 and am thrilled with my choice. Frankly, for a novice like me, I didn't notice much (if any) difference in the drive of the RWD and the AWD. Maybe I'm not enough of a 'car enthusiast" to notice the subtle differences. Plus, this way, I have the added stability if I need it.

Since it was almost 2 days between test drives, all I could really tell you is that I had a blast driving the RWD Friday, and had a blast driving the AWD today.

I was able to see the colors side by side. While I loved the Atomic Silver, it just didn't "pop" like the Ultra White/Black did. My husband, who said his favorite was the Atomic Silver, even changed his mind when looking again today in the light of the overcast day LOL.

So, I'm now the proud owner of a 2015 IS350 F Sport AWD in Ultra White/Black!

I'd post a picture but it was a rainy day in the PNW today, so it got soaked on the drive home!
Old 01-05-15, 05:53 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

I got my IS350 and am thrilled with my choice. Frankly, for a novice like me, I didn't notice much (if any) difference in the drive of the RWD and the AWD. Maybe I'm not enough of a 'car enthusiast" to notice the subtle differences. Plus, this way, I have the added stability if I need it.

Since it was almost 2 days between test drives, all I could really tell you is that I had a blast driving the RWD Friday, and had a blast driving the AWD today.

I was able to see the colors side by side. While I loved the Atomic Silver, it just didn't "pop" like the Ultra White/Black did. My husband, who said his favorite was the Atomic Silver, even changed his mind when looking again today in the light of the overcast day LOL.

So, I'm now the proud owner of a 2015 IS350 F Sport AWD in Ultra White/Black!

I'd post a picture but it was a rainy day in the PNW today, so it got soaked on the drive home!
Congrats on your purchase and decision! You can't go wrong with an AWD! And yes, Ultra White is beautiful. That's the color I originally wanted, but it din't work out for me. Post a picture when it's sunny
Old 01-06-15, 03:46 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
In my opinion, you don't need an AWD in the rain but it sure is nice/almost required for the snow. If you have another vehicle you can drive while it snows, then get the RWD otherwise, get the AWD.
AWD not needed, if you're willing to swap tires/wheels Spring and Fall. I'd rather have RWD and Winter tires than AWD and all-seasons.
Old 02-09-15, 06:22 PM
proview3r
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much did you pay for your IS 350?

I live in Washington too and was hoping to get an idea of a good price range