IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Repainting Hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 09:29 AM
Mattspiral
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Repainting Hood

sadly as i was driving on the freeway. some object hit my car and left a hurtful tiny dent and deep scratch onto my hood. I'm planning on maybe having the hood repainted.
my issue is, would repainting the hood mess with the cars resale value?
anybody have any experience on this stuff. I'm paying it out of pocket and not through insurance, so it shouldn't show on carfax or whatever.
so would it be advisable to have it repainted?

Old 01-08-15, 12:57 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

So sad to see this happen to you. You're right on the Carfax and paying out-of-pocket. I had a broken windshield and made the mistake of fixing it through the insurance and when I traded that car the dealer asked the nature of that. If you can afford to pay O.O.P., then go for it and your CarFax will thank you.

Now, in regards to bodywork, regardless of whether you pay O.O.P. or through insurance the dealer will know if the car does or doesn't have paintwork, bodywork, etc. They did it to my dad with a special device to measure paint thickness or something of that matter, so it definitely hurt his trade-in allowance.

At the end of the day, you fixed your car because you care for it. Either way, it will depreciate with or without the scratch/dent!
Old 01-08-15, 04:04 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I would have been sick if this would have happened to me!
Old 01-08-15, 04:17 PM
Mattspiral
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexi90
So sad to see this happen to you. You're right on the Carfax and paying out-of-pocket. I had a broken windshield and made the mistake of fixing it through the insurance and when I traded that car the dealer asked the nature of that. If you can afford to pay O.O.P., then go for it and your CarFax will thank you.

Now, in regards to bodywork, regardless of whether you pay O.O.P. or through insurance the dealer will know if the car does or doesn't have paintwork, bodywork, etc. They did it to my dad with a special device to measure paint thickness or something of that matter, so it definitely hurt his trade-in allowance.

At the end of the day, you fixed your car because you care for it. Either way, it will depreciate with or without the scratch/dent!
i guess there is no way to get out of that loss.
now the question is, will i lose more if i get it repainted or not? if i do, i feel that the dealers will think i got into an accident and ball me out on a trade in.
not sure if dealerships would prefer to see the damage than something that has been covered up.
Old 01-08-15, 04:24 PM
Mattspiral
Rookie

Originally Posted by PAPI007
I would have been sick if this would have happened to me!
yeah it happened at night. didn't see what hit me. thought it only hit my windshield cause it did leave a scratch on the glass. when i got home.... my heart dropped... looked like wolverine jumped onto my hood.