IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 04:20 PM
greatone99
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil

so the oil change interval on is 350 is 10000, i put only 4000 miles a year should i chenge every year no matter the milage i put on
Old 03-05-15, 04:50 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My rule is every 5k miles on full synthetic oil. You can always check the health of your oil with the dip stick.
Old 03-05-15, 04:51 PM
redraptor
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe its every 10k or once a year, whichever comes first.

I plan to change the oil once a year as I do not hit 10k within a year.
Old 03-05-15, 06:01 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by drbazing
My rule is every 5k miles on full synthetic oil. You can always check the health of your oil with the dip stick.
sounds excessive but better early than late. once a year under 10k miles works.
Old 03-05-15, 06:45 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
sounds excessive but better early than late. once a year under 10k miles works.
It is excessive unless you live in a really dusty climate or you're racing it all the time. I used to be one of those believers myself but I figured the Lexus engineers know more than me!
Old 03-05-15, 08:49 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by drbazing
You're kidding, right? Just how do you check the "health" of your oil with the dipstick? You can check the "level" of the oil with the dipstick, but to determine the actual condition of your oil would require a used oil analysis done by a competent lab equipped to do a proper analysis.

Last edited by gmanusmc; 03-05-15 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-05-15, 08:52 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by redraptor
I believe its every 10k or once a year, whichever comes first.

I plan to change the oil once a year as I do not hit 10k within a year.
+1

This is what is recommended by Lexus.
Old 03-06-15, 04:29 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
You're kidding, right? Just how do you check the "health" of your oil with the dipstick? You can check the "level" of the oil with the dipstick, but to determine the actual condition of your oil would require a used oil analysis done by a competent lab equipped to do a proper analysis.
lol, not a car guy, are you?

You can absolutely look at your dip stick and tell the condition of your oil and if there are any issues with your motor.

While the analysis would "help", you're far from handicapped without it.

OP, make sure the oil is changed at least once a year, regardless how many mile you drive.
Old 03-06-15, 05:01 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer

You can absolutely look at your dip stick and tell the condition of your oil and if there are any issues with your motor.

OP, make sure the oil is changed at least once a year, regardless how many mile you drive.
While I agree that looking at your oil on the dipstick can point to things like blown head gaskets if it is milky or foamy but otherwise it is bad advice to suggest that looking at oil will be able to tell if it needs to be changed. A lot of people will falsely assume they should change darker looking oil when in reality a darker oil may have plenty of life left and is just doing its job removing contaminates. Yes, I agree, change the oil every 10K miles or one year, whichever comes sooner.

Mike
Old 03-06-15, 05:31 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
While I agree that looking at your oil on the dipstick can point to things like blown head gaskets if it is milky or foamy but otherwise it is bad advice to suggest that looking at oil will be able to tell if it needs to be changed. A lot of people will falsely assume they should change darker looking oil when in reality a darker oil may have plenty of life left and is just doing its job removing contaminates. Yes, I agree, change the oil every 10K miles or one year, whichever comes sooner.

Mike
I have my own ways to doing it, I am not suggesting that the average joe starts looking at his oil and judging.
Old 03-06-15, 05:34 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if you are unsure, do a TBN test at blackstone labs. Ive seen some real dark oil that I've sent out for testing and it still had TBN for another couple thousand miles.
Old 03-06-15, 06:52 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer

While I don't profess to be an expert on motor oil, and not sure of what your definition of a "car guy" is (do most of my own routine maintenance, etc and have done it for years), I think you're the one that might need a little education, at least on the subject of motor oil.

Sure, there are SOME things that will give you a hint that something might be going on by visually checking the oil on the dipstick, but the statement was you can tell the "health," and you can't definitively determine that by just looking at the oil without having it properly analyzed. I suppose you're in the camp that believes your oil is shot if it has turned dark, which is not the case.

If you don't already, you might want to visit bobistheoilguy.com - there's a wealth of info on car maintenance there from a lot of folks who exchange advice and enjoy doing their own work on their vehicles (like me).
Old 03-06-15, 08:10 AM
IC350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we are talking about oil change. I had my 10k service done, so I can wait unit 20k to get my oil change again so i can skip my 15k service ?
Old 03-06-15, 08:10 AM
Zman1
Driver School Candidate

It does not say synthetic in the manual. 10k miles is a lot of miles on non-synthetic oil. I think I may change mine at 200 miles on the first oil change as that has to have the most debris due to break-in.
Old 03-06-15, 08:23 AM
sdotk
Pole Position

I may compromise and do it every 7500 miles lol. I drive about 15-17k miles a year

Quick Reply: oil