IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

UW/RR IS350 - 2.5 weeks@2400 miles w/ VGRS & PCS - Loving It!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 12:03 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Smile UW/RR IS350 - 2.5 weeks@2400 miles w/ VGRS & PCS - Loving It!

Hi -I've been lurking for a bit and finally picked up my Ultra White/Rioja Red IS350 F-Sport (Nav, ML, BSM, VGRS, PCS) about 2.5 weeks ago... and I absolutely love the car. The first week I had it, I took it on a 1200 mile road trip from San Francisco to Palm Springs (pics below). The drive was absolutely fantastic - I never got fatigued driving the 9 hours down.

It took 4 months to get the car...in October when I was shopping, Ultra White/Rioja Red was almost impossible to find in CA. I searched and ended up looking into surround states, Washington, Oregon and AZ. Although I found 1 here and there, the price wasn't quite right + there were options I didn't want (rear spoiler, dark limo tint). Dealers were willing to give me awesome deals on any other color except UW...but I didn't want to settle and decided that I'd wait for the color I wanted, even if I had to pay a little more for it.

In the end, I had to special order, particularly because I wanted the VGRS and Pre-Collision System. Salesman told me I had a unique build because they never get PCS (on occassion they get VGRS)...so I'll take that for what it's worth.

VGRS is cool for the power tilt/telescopic steering wheel (I haven't noticed too much about the affect on steering) The PCS w/ Dynamic Cruise Control is absolutely amazing and a must-have for long trips or continuous freeway driving. And the safety of PCS is very cool...One time the "BRAKE!!" dashboard warning message and siren went off randomly...it surprised me...but its pretty awesome.

Anyway, I'm glad I chose Lexus and the IS350 F-S-Sport...modding will happen slowly. First things I've done are X-PEL Ultimate full front, LED lighting of interior + mirrors (get the panel remover kits...definitely worth the $4!), tint all around, ordered a lip spoiler and hoping to get F-Sport springs whenever they come out.

If you're interested in purchasing in the SF Bay Area, I suggest Rick Rose at Lexus of Pleasanton...he was a pleasure to work with...seems really down-to-earth and all around a likeable guy. PM me and I'll send you his details.

Taken on the way to Joshua Tree National Park...at the giant windmills.

At Joshua Tree National Park.

Another at the windmills...

Last edited by RocketG35; 03-11-15 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-11-15, 01:05 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! It is an awesome car
Old 03-11-15, 01:30 PM
daobn24
Pole Position

Nicely optioned out, that car can almost drive itself! Beautiful pictures and kudos for sticking to what you really wanted.
Old 03-11-15, 01:56 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Thank you both!
Old 03-12-15, 06:34 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love the last pic.. pretty epic.. reminds me of Independence day where will smith is at a stand still and it pans over to the skis and the alien shipping is busting out through the clouds..
Old 03-12-15, 07:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

youll notice the VGRS when you are at parking lot speeds and how much you have to turn to maneuver vs highway speeds
Old 03-12-15, 12:57 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
love the last pic.. pretty epic.. reminds me of Independence day where will smith is at a stand still and it pans over to the skis and the alien shipping is busting out through the clouds..
Thanks! Now that you mention it...

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
youll notice the VGRS when you are at parking lot speeds and how much you have to turn to maneuver vs highway speeds
I do notice the steering is much lighter when doing slow turns (i.e. parking). I don't think I spent enough time with the non-VGRS to walk away knowing what it feels like to not have it. I primarily wanted it for the power tilt/telescopic...but I do hope to notice the advantages more. My 2003 G35 I had for 12 years didn't have power tilt/telescopic steering and it bothered me.
Old 03-12-15, 01:31 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

it varies the gearing at low speeds so that theres less turns to lock as well as lower tension, but at high speeds it increases the tension as well as increases the turns to lock so the steering wheel is less sensitive at high speeds. Mainly so you dont have to keep making so many steering adjustments.
Old 03-12-15, 02:25 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
it varies the gearing at low speeds so that theres less turns to lock as well as lower tension, but at high speeds it increases the tension as well as increases the turns to lock so the steering wheel is less sensitive at high speeds. Mainly so you dont have to keep making so many steering adjustments.
Thanks...I did read about this. I need to look into the details some more...but I assume that non-VGRS also has some type of resistive steering that occurs at higher speeds. Don't all cars get more difficult to move the wheel at higher speeds?
Old 03-12-15, 07:30 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Car is ahh mazing! So jealous, I should've gotten the 350!
Old 03-12-15, 09:03 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RocketG35
Although I found 1 here and there, the price wasn't quite right + there were options I didn't want (rear spoiler, dark limo tint).

Another at the windmills...
The UW with rear spoiler and dark limo tint, did you find it at Audi Concord? It has some decals on each side. If so, it was mine originally? lol
Old 03-13-15, 01:24 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Originally Posted by salvadorik
The UW with rear spoiler and dark limo tint, did you find it at Audi Concord? It has some decals on each side. If so, it was mine originally? lol
Actually this was out of state (i.e. OR or AZ) and they were new ones. You traded yours in?

Originally Posted by Glock47
Car is ahh mazing! So jealous, I should've gotten the 350!
I never test drove the 250...but I'm sure it's still really nice! I came from a G35, so I wanted to make sure I had at least the same class of power with the new car.
Old 03-13-15, 02:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Actually this was out of state (i.e. OR or AZ) and they were new ones. You traded yours in?

I never test drove the 250...but I'm sure it's still really nice! I came from a G35, so I wanted to make sure I had at least the same class of power with the new car.
I think its definitely faster than the G35. I think its significantly faster from a highway roll. It handles better and absorbs bumps waaaay better too. The great thing is that i think also drives smaller with more interior room. Solid upgrade.
Old 03-13-15, 06:42 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Actually this was out of state (i.e. OR or AZ) and they were new ones. You traded yours in? .
Yup, I did. And I do my miss 3IS.