IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Considering the IS 250 FSport

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-15, 06:44 AM
prolific
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering the IS 250 FSport

I've done some very basic, light reading at this point -- looking to be pointed in the right direction, however.

Currently in a 2010 Audi A5. I've had zero complaints, great ride (first Audi), just itching for a change (for various reasons).

Right now I'm looking at the IS 250 (FSport, of course) and some other rides such as the 535i, and perhaps the S4. Essentially, looking for a sedan (life happens) at this point.

I don't necessarily worry about the "cost of owning" an Audi or BMW, but I feel as though an IS would offer a little more peace of mind.

Appreciate any advice or experience/stories anyone can share.

Cheers.
Old 05-16-15, 07:06 AM
ddvette9
Pole Position

What's your budget?

And do you modify your cars?
Old 05-16-15, 08:21 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by prolific
I've done some very basic, light reading at this point -- looking to be pointed in the right direction, however. Currently in a 2010 Audi A5. I've had zero complaints, great ride (first Audi), just itching for a change (for various reasons). Right now I'm looking at the IS 250 (FSport, of course) and some other rides such as the 535i, and perhaps the S4. Essentially, looking for a sedan (life happens) at this point. I don't necessarily worry about the "cost of owning" an Audi or BMW, but I feel as though an IS would offer a little more peace of mind. Appreciate any advice or experience/stories anyone can share. Cheers.
If you're looking at the 535 and S4, you really should be looking at the IS350. IS250 is about as fast as my minivan while the 535 and S4 are rockets. The 535 also isn't a direct comparison as the 335 is a much better comp.
Old 05-16-15, 09:29 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to ask what engine you currently have in that A5. If you have had the 2.0T, you'll probably be ok with the IS250. If you have the 3.2......you might want to think 350 instead. Either is an excellent choice though!
Old 05-16-15, 09:41 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with the 350 instead, it's a big difference in horsepower and honestly the IS250 doesn't have a very performance minded engine.
Old 05-16-15, 10:35 AM
Dalva
Driver School Candidate

Tough decision, I have a 525i BMW and an IS250 f2, between those two I greatly appreciate the reliability of the IS250 but as far as the drivability I prefer the BMW; manual tranny, great engine with no major maintenance costs. Granted, you will go less often to a garage for maintenance with a Lexus who has a legendary reliability but German engineering has some advantages.
Old 05-16-15, 10:48 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Agree with some comments. If you're considering an S4 and 535i, you're at the 50-60k+ price range and sub-5s 0-60 performance figures. I love my 250 F Sport and performance is adequate for me as a daily driver, but if you think you'll be itching for the extra power, for less than 4K more, get an IS350 F Sport and loaded will still be well under 50K.
Old 05-16-15, 11:55 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah get the is350! I wish I did! In glad I got the is250 because of economical reasons.
Old 05-17-15, 04:25 PM
prolific
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate all the replies thus far - thank you all.

This seems to be the overwhelming theme here...

Originally Posted by theoryguy
I'd go with the 350 instead, it's a big difference in horsepower and honestly the IS250 doesn't have a very performance minded engine.
350 certainly in consideration, probably more so than the 250 for obvious reasons all pointed out here. Good call.

I know this is a Lexus forum, but any additional (unbiased opinions) would be greatly appreciated; regarding 535 vs 350 vs S4 etc.

Thanks again.
Old 05-17-15, 07:53 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

535 mediocre reliability. Electrical and powertrain issues common within the first years of ownership. I would avoid it.

Would be between the S4 and IS 350F Sport. If long-term ownership is in sight, get the IS as it's the most reliable and best all around in ride comfort, handling, with strong acceleration. If you're leasing, can handle 100$+ larger payment over the IS, and want a firmer but most powerful drive with the surefootedness of Quattro awd, the S4 is in your future.

Good luck.
Old 05-18-15, 06:47 AM
mingkwong
Driver School Candidate

IS250 should be a bit slower than Audi 1.8T, I was switching from BMW118i it has 1.6 turbo engine and I am not satisfied with the Lexus 2500cc NA engine, it's just slow. probably the car is too heavy or the outdated gearbox.
Old 05-18-15, 07:44 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 213 Posts

like someone stated above, the 535 is in a different class. when I was in the market for a car (2 months ago), it was between the 335 and the 350 fsport. there's a thread buried in this 3is forum about comparing the cars in this class. for me, what it came down to was reliability. I traded my '03 is300 for my 350 fsport; my 1is had 260k+ miles on it and didn't have any issues. I talked to a couple of my friends who are bimmer owners and asked them about their opinions and they all said the same thing. they bought the bimmer cause of how it drives (power, motor, etc) but when it breaks, it's quite costly...especially after warranty. then they said, that 3is isn't a slow car and looks way better and more reliable. I concurred with those statements so here I am with the 3is. one other factor for me is that I'm familiar w/ Toyota/Lexus engines so that helped sway my decision. I'm not very familiar w/ german enginuity...like bmw or audi. but just like the other thread stated, majority came down w/ reliability being the big part in purchasing their cars.

and not to beat a dead horse, 250 isn't in the same category as you listed...not hating on the 250, but some 350 owners are kinda bummed that the motor is already under powered by it's competition. just know the 250 would be lower.
Old 05-18-15, 08:56 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
like someone stated above, the 535 is in a different class. when I was in the market for a car (2 months ago), it was between the 335 and the 350 fsport. there's a thread buried in this 3is forum about comparing the cars in this class. for me, what it came down to was reliability. I traded my '03 is300 for my 350 fsport; my 1is had 260k+ miles on it and didn't have any issues. I talked to a couple of my friends who are bimmer owners and asked them about their opinions and they all said the same thing. they bought the bimmer cause of how it drives (power, motor, etc) but when it breaks, it's quite costly...especially after warranty. then they said, that 3is isn't a slow car and looks way better and more reliable. I concurred with those statements so here I am with the 3is. one other factor for me is that I'm familiar w/ Toyota/Lexus engines so that helped sway my decision. I'm not very familiar w/ german enginuity...like bmw or audi. but just like the other thread stated, majority came down w/ reliability being the big part in purchasing their cars.

and not to beat a dead horse, 250 isn't in the same category as you listed...not hating on the 250, but some 350 owners are kinda bummed that the motor is already under powered by it's competition. just know the 250 would be lower.
I love the NA engines... Reliability is a big consideration for me too. I had a G35 coupe with the VQ3.5LDE and I beat on that car everyday for 100k miles. Rock solid! I pretty much redline my IS350 everyday too and plan to keep this car for 100k miles too.
Old 05-26-15, 05:37 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by prolific
Right now I'm looking at the IS 250 (FSport, of course)
What do you mean, "of course"? The non-F is unworthy of consideration? Frankly the 250 F-sport makes about no sense, to me.
Old 05-27-15, 07:18 AM
Dalva
Driver School Candidate

Weeeell, everyone is talking about more power, faster car etc. etc. I don't know about elsewhere in America but here in Montreal - Canada, the roads are similar to the roads in Irak after the bombardments.
A more powerful and a faster car is totally useless. I think the IS250 has more than enough power for our roads.
Just a thought...

Quick Reply: Considering the IS 250 FSport