IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Got my steering replaced but..

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 07:37 PM
mrtriad
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my steering replaced but..

The leather on my steering wheel was peeling off and I brought it up to the dealer and out of their goodwill, they decided to replace it with a completely new one. Props to the dealer. However this is where all the problems start to occur. I drop off the car This past Sunday and pick up a loaner. I get a call the next day saying my car is ready. Wow great! So I get there and everything seems good.

There's an open road that I like to take home but this is where I noticed something weird. When my steering wheel was level, the car was veering right.. I had to tilt the steering wheel a little left to go straight . I call the dealership right away and they tell me to bring it back. So I do that and pick up another loaner.

Following day which is today 5/19/2015, I go back to the dealership and they tell me they fixed the alignment. Now everything is good! I was yet again wrong. When I got home, I noticed my steering wheel was weird.

So taking the car back tomorrow to get this fixed! Still props to the dealer for giving me a brand new steering wheel..
Attached Thumbnails Got my steering replaced but..-20150519_191231.jpg   Got my steering replaced but..-20150519_191222.jpg  
Old 05-19-15, 07:58 PM
DaJoDJ
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to hear that dealerships are taking care of their customers... Do you happen to have pics of the peeling steering wheel?

Do you wear a ring or any type of object that may have contributed in the pre-mature wear of the leather?
Old 05-19-15, 08:09 PM
mrtriad
Rookie

Originally Posted by DaJoDJ
Glad to hear that dealerships are taking care of their customers... Do you happen to have pics of the peeling steering wheel?

Do you wear a ring or any type of object that may have contributed in the pre-mature wear of the leather?
Hey. Unfortunately I don't have pics of the steering wheel .
I don't wear anything on my hands that would affect the steering wheel. But sometimes my leg rubs the steering wheel when I get into the car. But that shouldn't damage the steering wheel..
Old 05-20-15, 09:11 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DaJoDJ

You know what I noticed? The top portion of the F-sport steering wheel (not sure if its different than non F-sport) is a way thinner leather than the bottom half. When driving with one hand on the top, I tend to grip it very hard. I know that if I were to continue doing that (combined with sweat and a hot steering wheel from the summer heat), I can see it wearing out very, very quickly. Luckily, I remember reading this premature wear issue on the forums and consciously put a stop to that.
Old 05-20-15, 10:11 AM
mrtriad
Rookie

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
You know what I noticed? The top portion of the F-sport steering wheel (not sure if its different than non F-sport) is a way thinner leather than the bottom half. When driving with one hand on the top, I tend to grip it very hard. I know that if I were to continue doing that (combined with sweat and a hot steering wheel from the summer heat), I can see it wearing out very, very quickly. Luckily, I remember reading this premature wear issue on the forums and consciously put a stop to that.
For me it was the bottom left area of the steering wheel.
Old 05-20-15, 10:39 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

One thing I noticed was that the threads in the stitching were starting to get fuzzy and unravel a little...