IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Cracked windshield help

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-15, 11:31 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cracked windshield help

So I found a crack on my windshield today, looks like a rock may have kicked up and hit the windshield while I was driving. I wanted to repair it but the crack is about 22 inches long so its not an option. I have State Farm and a zero deductible for glass so I'm wondering where I should get windshield replaced. The Lexus dealership, Safelite, etc? I honestly didn't think there was a difference with glass between OEM and 3rd Party providers. However, I've read that in other threads that previous Lexus owners have problems with 3rd party glass due to lack of filament. Is there any truth to this? I've never replaced a windshield before so any help would be appreciated as I 'd like to avoid problems from an inferior product.

Interior view

Looks like a rock chip down and to right below the glare.

Last edited by theoryguy; 05-28-15 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-28-15, 11:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I had a horrible experience with Safelite. They damaged my car while replacing a side window and when I brought it to their attention, the manager called me an a-hole and told me it didn't matter because my car was "not that nice anyway". Several years and cars ago, but it has stuck with me and I just can't support them.

On my 4Runner I had the windshield replaced by a local chain with good reviews. Yelp is your friend.

Good luck!
Old 05-28-15, 11:57 AM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm actually getting my windshield replaced in about 4 hours. My crack looks very similar to yours. I, unfortunately, have a $500 deductible. I did order an OEM windshield.

I had the same question of where to get it replaced, and when I went to the Lexus dealership here they told me they didn't do windshields at the dealership and referred me to a third party business. So I decided to just go with Safelite and see how it goes. Hopefully they aren't as bad as some people say. They did mess up and order the wrong glass when I went in last week for my appointment. Hopefully they have the correct one today.
Old 05-28-15, 05:35 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by anamynous
I'm actually getting my windshield replaced in about 4 hours. My crack looks very similar to yours. I, unfortunately, have a $500 deductible. I did order an OEM windshield.

I had the same question of where to get it replaced, and when I went to the Lexus dealership here they told me they didn't do windshields at the dealership and referred me to a third party business. So I decided to just go with Safelite and see how it goes. Hopefully they aren't as bad as some people say. They did mess up and order the wrong glass when I went in last week for my appointment. Hopefully they have the correct one today.
hope it works out
Old 05-28-15, 05:36 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Does anyone know the OE brand for Lexus?
Old 05-29-15, 08:27 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Asahi Glass from Japan. It's abbreviated as AGC Automotive on the windshield. I understand OE windshields are much cheaper here in Canada, but for context, I had mine replaced last month at the dealer for $700.
Old 05-29-15, 05:09 PM
Mtneer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I replaced mine with Safelite and had a great experience. No issues and the installer was one of the best service people I've ever dealt with.
Old 05-29-15, 10:24 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

So I got mine replaced yesterday at Safelite. Initial experience was good. The staff was extremely friendly and professional. I haven't seen any issue so far with the replacement.
Old 06-02-15, 11:17 AM
Tone2002
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its going to need to be replaced. I just went through my insurance who referred to me someone who got my same exact glass. Great Job with no problems.
Old 06-02-15, 03:12 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion I wanted either the Lexus windshield or a PGW (used to be PPG) OEM windshield because I wanted the special coating for water and fog. I ended up calling about 26 repair shop and I luckily found 1 that was an independent who was willing to order the Lexus windshield as he owned an 2014 ES300 and knew I had done my homework. Long story short, I contacted State Farm and asked them to speak to the owner of the shop. The shop owner worked out an amazing deal with State Farm so that I would be paying $113 ($1024-$911 covered by insurance) for a factory Lexus windshield which is a steal as Lexus sells the windshield retail for $1024. I'm assuming installation cost was built into the price, however when you speak to dealers and installer they say $1,024 is the part price sans installation cost. The main point the shop owner made to State Farm was the special coating and inferior filament of the 3rd party glass they initially wanted me to go with, but decided against when the shop owner told them I would most likely need a replacement come winter as that specific 3rd party glass was prone to cracking. I had my windshield installed today in under 2 hours, below are the results:

I'm pretty happy with the installation. They advised me not to get a car wash for a week and not remove the bonding tape for a the same time as well. I'm leaving my IS parked in the garage for the time being and using my other car. I think that because I went to an independent shop that orders Lexus parts than a dealer, my insurance company was more generous of their coverage because they expect a huge dealer markup (IE: Lexus of Englewood quoted me +$2000, whereas Lexus of Bridgewater quoted me $1350 installed). Additionally, I felt that even if I went to Lexus of Bridgewater I probably would not have gotten the same deal from my insurance company.

Now I wait to see how much my insurance will go up in September

Windshield removed: Side-view

Windshield removed: Front-view

Newly installed Lexus Windshield

Lexus stamp on the glass

Last edited by theoryguy; 06-02-15 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-03-15, 10:13 AM
jebryan
Driver School Candidate

I actually just had to get mine replace two weeks ago from a giant crack. Since mine is a '15, I definitely wanted it replaced with OEM glass. Had read horror stories of insurance companies only paying for the cheap Safelite/aftermarket glass and making you pay the difference. I went through the glass company that my Lexus dealer recommended, and the company told me that there actually wasn't an aftermarket windshield yet, the only thing available was the genuine part from Lexus. This being the case, the insurance company is required to cover it so I have now have a genuine Lexus windshield and only had to pay my deductible!
Old 06-03-15, 02:20 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jebryan
I actually just had to get mine replace two weeks ago from a giant crack. Since mine is a '15, I definitely wanted it replaced with OEM glass. Had read horror stories of insurance companies only paying for the cheap Safelite/aftermarket glass and making you pay the difference. I went through the glass company that my Lexus dealer recommended, and the company told me that there actually wasn't an aftermarket windshield yet, the only thing available was the genuine part from Lexus. This being the case, the insurance company is required to cover it so I have now have a genuine Lexus windshield and only had to pay my deductible!
The shops I had contacted told me that PKW and Tokaji make windshields for the IS, but you're better off with the factory part anyways.
Old 06-03-15, 06:25 PM
rgonza1
Driver

I just had mine replaced 2 weeks ago. I had a crack about 15 inches in length. I contacted my insurance company (American Family) and requested an OEM replacement. With full coverage I apid nothing out of pocket. I even got the local shop to tin the front windshield with Llumar Air Blue 80 for free.
Old 06-03-15, 08:30 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by rgonza1
I just had mine replaced 2 weeks ago. I had a crack about 15 inches in length. I contacted my insurance company (American Family) and requested an OEM replacement. With full coverage I apid nothing out of pocket. I even got the local shop to tin the front windshield with Llumar Air Blue 80 for free.
THIS is the way it's Suppose to be, If NOT then you need to Change Insurance Companies! This is a Lexus, Not a Prius!
Old 06-04-15, 11:56 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rgonza1
That's awesome