IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Best exhaust for is350 f sport?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-19, 08:15 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jameshan
I first started out with the invidia catback but it was too quiet so I switched out the invidia axleback with ark.
So the ARK axleback is noticeably louder? Didn't think it was available alone.
Old 06-02-19, 08:37 PM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
So the ARK axleback is noticeably louder? Didn't think it was available alone.
Yeah it was definitely a good step in volume. Although now it's been some time and I'm used to it now/carbon build up in the pipes naturally muffles it slightly so I'm installing a exhaust cutout valve. They don't sell the axleback separately unfortunately. I bought mine off the forum from someone.
Old 06-03-19, 11:29 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 696 Likes on 612 Posts

Contact us for pricing on the Ark, we have a sale coming up on it!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-03-19, 01:04 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the Stillen axle back on my car for a while. At first, I loved the sound on hard acceleration, especially combined with my aFe intake. However, after a while it started to annoy me when driving on the freeway. It seemed to bother me the most when I had passengers in the car. I finally decided to put my stock exhaust back on the car and it feels like a new car! Haha maybe I'm just getting old and, as a result, my preferences have changed... I never had this feeling on any of my muscle cars with V8 engines.
Old 06-03-19, 01:13 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Was the Stillen too droney, too loud, or think it's just your perspective on after-market exhausts in general? It did seem to be one of the louder ones available.
Old 06-03-19, 09:18 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Was the Stillen too droney, too loud, or think it's just your perspective on after-market exhausts in general? It did seem to be one of the louder ones available.
It was only axle back but loud for what it was. Might be due in part to the round shaped muffler vs. the more common oval shape. I've read that round mufflers tend to produce deeper, louder and more consistent sound. Not sure if any of that is actually true though... Drone was only an issue at low RPM's on the freeway. I think it was somewhere just under 3000 RPM when it was the worst.

I might've liked it more with a mid pipe even though it would've been louder. I thought about either getting a mid pipe or switching to factory f-sport exhaust, but decided to go back to stock and I'm happy.

To answer your question, I'd say a combination of the following were the game changers for me:
  • Too loud for the power produced by the car
  • Drone on the freeway (low RPM's when I'm occasionally/rarely trying to save on gas)
  • Under hard acceleration I'd get rattles, even after adjusting the exhaust positioning
  • With my bronze wheels, minimal drop and diffuser/splitter, the car started to feel like a rice rocket to me and lost the luxury/sport feel that I forgot I wanted
Old 06-03-19, 09:33 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Luisvm
  • With my bronze wheels, minimal drop and diffuser/splitter, the car started to feel like a rice rocket to me and lost the luxury/sport feel that I forgot I wanted
I hear ya, and am being cautious about that as well. Doing minimal drop just to even the stance, smoothing out the exhaust note, and keeping visual mods as complementary not gaudy or brazen.
Old 06-04-19, 09:27 AM
FearDaFish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if the JoeZ cat back is indeed quieter than the ark cat back? By looking at it I would think it would be because it had traditional style mufflers where ark doesn't even look like it has mufflers lol. But the helmholtz design might make up for that? Like you, I'd rather not be aggressively loud because I'm not driving a 700hp vehicle. But the stock exhaust is just too blah.

I also prefer not to get an axle back when it'll cost just a bit less than a full cat back without the power gain.
Old 11-11-19, 10:10 AM
Gman2448
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow

Just had the Magnaflow axle back installed a few weeks ago. Personally, I think it sounds great!! I don’t know why anyone would want more sound that what the Magnaflow offers. This is still a Lexus, not a Honda Civic.