IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Did anyone cross shop IS250 with 320i

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 02:19 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did anyone cross shop IS250 with 320i

Curious if anyone thought about a BMW 320i when buying the IS250. What were your thoughts?

Seems to me the 320i is a more direct competitor to the 250 than the BMW 328i. Keep seeing rave reviews on the 320i with sports package.
Old 08-05-15, 02:30 PM
SummerRain
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait for IS200t
Old 08-05-15, 02:34 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SummerRain
Wait for IS200t

I have a 250 and am happy with it. Just curious about the bimmer.
Old 08-05-15, 03:30 PM
Imprezario
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did.

A friend of mine rides a 320i xDrive and I've driven this car many times before buying my IS. Nothing so special for me to sing the songs about like many others do. Not bad acceleration, almost on par with IS250, maybe a bit faster in real life, not on paper. Really good handling, but definitely not better than F Sport IS. Poor build quality of the interior compared to Lexus. The bimmer doesn't give me a desired driver's position, and Lexus surprisingly does. The 320i's 4-cyl turbo is miles behind the NA V6 in terms of smoothness and quietness - it shakes and jumps just like a 320d's diesel. Then comes an EXTREMELY poor reliability, proven by many people I know, and just 2 years of warranty when Lexus offers 3 years. The BMW's maintenance costs are noticeably higher too. Overall, the 320i is more a piece of BMW's marketing fluff than a real deal. The reason of choosing Lexus was obvious for me. Not a single complain or regret since then. )
Old 08-05-15, 04:39 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Imprezario
I did.

A friend of mine rides a 320i xDrive and I've driven this car many times before buying my IS. Nothing so special for me to sing the songs about like many others do. Not bad acceleration, almost on par with IS250, maybe a bit faster in real life, not on paper. Really good handling, but definitely not better than F Sport IS. Poor build quality of the interior compared to Lexus. The bimmer doesn't give me a desired driver's position, and Lexus surprisingly does. The 320i's 4-cyl turbo is miles behind the NA V6 in terms of smoothness and quietness - it shakes and jumps just like a 320d's diesel. Then comes an EXTREMELY poor reliability, proven by many people I know, and just 2 years of warranty when Lexus offers 3 years. The BMW's maintenance costs are noticeably higher too. Overall, the 320i is more a piece of BMW's marketing fluff than a real deal. The reason of choosing Lexus was obvious for me. Not a single complain or regret since then. )
+1
Old 08-05-15, 04:42 PM
SummerRain
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Imprezario
I did.

Reliability and resell value is my top priority
Old 08-05-15, 05:02 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SummerRain
Reliability and resell value is my top priority
Yes sir
Old 08-05-15, 05:03 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PAPI007
+1
+ 2 Not hating or anything! The 328 is a different story though, but I'm happy with my reliable & sexy Lexi girl
Old 08-05-15, 05:10 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by lexi90
+ 2 Not hating or anything! The 328 is a different story though, but I'm happy with my reliable & sexy Lexi girl
The 328 is an IS350 competitor. About the same price comparably equipped and about the same speed.
Old 08-05-15, 05:22 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The 328 is an IS350 competitor. About the same price comparably equipped and about the same speed.
then the 335 should have a direct lexus segment competitor.
Old 08-05-15, 05:24 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davyjordi
then the 335 should have a direct lexus segment competitor.
I agree but Lexus doesn't provide an adequate competitor. Even the F is somewhere between the M and the 335.
Old 08-05-15, 05:38 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

what does the rc f compete with? the audi rs5, the mb c63 amg, and the bmw m4?

then the regular rc would compete with the bmw 335 -- or more directly against the coupe version, the 435.
Old 08-05-15, 05:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

what does the rc f compete with? the audi rs5, the mb c63 amg, and the bmw m4?

then the regular rc would compete with the bmw 335 -- or more directly against the coupe version, the 435.
The RCF is cheaper than its competition...and way fatter and slower too

It seems Lexus doesn't want to compete directly with the Germans on performance and price...kinda a step down. The premium configuration for Lexus seems to be the 2nd tier configuration for the Germans.
Old 08-05-15, 06:06 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
The RCF is cheaper than its competition...and way fatter and slower too

It seems Lexus doesn't want to compete directly with the Germans on performance and price...kinda a step down. The premium configuration for Lexus seems to be the 2nd tier configuration for the Germans.
which is a shame because lexus, at least in north america, is largely considered to be a tier-one luxury brand. it's not typically classified with the tier-two luxury brands -- acura, buick, lincoln, infiniti, cadillac, etc. cadillac is trying to crawl its way back into the tier-one category, though, and they've done an impressive job thus far. lexus should be following suit in an exceedingly competitive segment.
Old 08-05-15, 07:59 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

which is a shame because lexus, at least in north america, is largely considered to be a tier-one luxury brand. it's not typically classified with the tier-two luxury brands -- acura, buick, lincoln, infiniti, cadillac, etc. cadillac is trying to crawl its way back into the tier-one category, though, and they've done an impressive job thus far. lexus should be following suit in an exceedingly competitive segment.
i somewhat agree, but at least when i switched from Mercedes to a Lexus, a lot of coworkers asked why I "downgraded" to a Lexus? While Lexus is growing, i guess it doesn't have the prestige of a Mercedes or BMW just yet. I just smiled and told them I liked it better

Quick Reply: Did anyone cross shop IS250 with 320i