IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

traded Lexus in

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 04:21 AM
Loe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traded Lexus in

By all! went back to a German vehicle (Audi S5 premium plus) with: Black optic package / Technology / BSM / B&O sound / S-tronic DSG / Nappa leather, and a few other misc smaller options. Enjoy your IS' while you can, as its a fine driving vehicle and was fun while I had it (especially with the AVS). I just needed something with more power, plus it also looks wonderful. I looked deeply into reliability concerns, but since I will only be keeping it for 36 months and included all paid maintenance , it was okay by me. FWIW, the long-term reliability on the 3.0T is vastly better than any previous VAG product, minus a few first year (MY2010) mechanical issues that have since been updated/fixed. However, once lexus introduces a more powerful turbo 6 cylinder, i'll be considering the IS"350" Fsport after my term is up on the S5

Old 08-12-15, 05:50 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couldnt agree more with your power comment, especially given your history of m3, worked 335, and another m3. Its not slow but it certainly doesnt feel fast. On paper its faster then my rx8 was but its just so damn heavy it doesnt have that lively feel of a true sports car.

Had i been in the market for a 3 year car i wouldve definitely looked elsewhere, but wanting something for 10 years made it the right choice over the germans that cannot get rid of the carbon build up on DI engines.
Old 08-12-15, 09:25 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 213 Posts

congrats! great choice as well! very smart decision as well on your planning. if I could keep miles under a lease plan I would probably do the same thing...haha. either way, both cars are a great piece of machinery...just too bad that Toyota/Lexus hasn't pushed the envelope w/ the engine like they did w/ the body.
Old 08-12-15, 10:55 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

This is counterintuitive to most car culture but the old boring engine was why i bought the is350. Given the issues with the injectors, fuel pumps, and carbon build upon BMWs last iteration n54 and n55 engine, Audi oil consumption and carbon build up, and Cadilacs pistons cracking I was relieved to see a service proven engine even if it was old by most standards. Again a weird selling point but secondary port injectors that kept calves clean was a HUGE selling point.

full disclosure ive already blown a jeep 4.0 offroading and an RX8 rotary so any engine week point no mater how small was a big sticking point.

Originally Posted by cp2
congrats! great choice as well! very smart decision as well on your planning. if I could keep miles under a lease plan I would probably do the same thing...haha. either way, both cars are a great piece of machinery...just too bad that Toyota/Lexus hasn't pushed the envelope w/ the engine like they did w/ the body.
Old 08-12-15, 12:00 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowrydr01
This is counterintuitive to most car culture but the old boring engine was why i bought the is350. Given the issues with the injectors, fuel pumps, and carbon build upon BMWs last iteration n54 and n55 engine, Audi oil consumption and carbon build up, and Cadilacs pistons cracking I was relieved to see a service proven engine even if it was old by most standards. Again a weird selling point but secondary port injectors that kept calves clean was a HUGE selling point.

full disclosure ive already blown a jeep 4.0 offroading and an RX8 rotary so any engine week point no mater how small was a big sticking point.
I agree w/ you as well...those are the reasons I went w/ the is350 for a car to keep. but if I knew that I was only going to have a car for a short term...say 36 months w/ a lease that covers all the maintenance for the duration of the lease, I would have no issues going that route.

I was saying that Toyota/lexus is very capable of putting out at least a 335hp 3.5L eng instead of a recycled eng. call me crazy, but if they wanted to keep a recycled eng, I would've been happy w/ the 2jz! at least modding wouldn't be so limited.
Old 08-12-15, 03:23 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice S5 and the only Audi I like is 2 door. For 4 door look too boring to me.
Old 08-12-15, 04:14 PM
grammo
Driver School Candidate

Location? I'm looking for a white 350 f sport with black interior
Old 08-12-15, 06:27 PM
starbai
Intermediate

I'm trading my 335i in for a 350F sport --- next week. I'm sad. I'll miss the power. But its my wife's DD so it'll do the job for the 3 year lease. My 335 is now outta warranty and lets just say its a ticking time bomb of maintenance/replacement parts.

Enjoy the new Audi, I love em'!
Old 08-12-15, 07:30 PM
Loe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cp2
I agree w/ you as well...those are the reasons I went w/ the is350 for a car to keep. but if I knew that I was only going to have a car for a short term...say 36 months w/ a lease that covers all the maintenance for the duration of the lease, I would have no issues going that route.

I was saying that Toyota/lexus is very capable of putting out at least a 335hp 3.5L eng instead of a recycled eng. call me crazy, but if they wanted to keep a recycled eng, I would've been happy w/ the 2jz! at least modding wouldn't be so limited.
The 3.5L is definitely capable of more. For some reason, it feels like it was soften a good deal in the 3IS though in comparison to the 2IS. Hopefully Toyota/Lexus will unlock its full potential with simple tuning, or keep it updated as it was state-of-the-art when it was released and also years beyond that, or pair some nice turbo's to it.
Old 08-12-15, 07:33 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
I'm trading my 335i in for a 350F sport --- next week. I'm sad. I'll miss the power. But its my wife's DD so it'll do the job for the 3 year lease. My 335 is now outta warranty and lets just say its a ticking time bomb of maintenance/replacement parts.

Enjoy the new Audi, I love em'!
Go test drive an IS-F, you will forget all about the 350.
Old 08-12-15, 07:46 PM
CF1LUV
Driver School Candidate

Audis look bland inside and out, always have. I read the power complaints left and right on this forum about the Lexus cars. And I just have to wonder, how often are your guys going flat out where you feel the need to have as much horsepower as possible?

I've had fast cars, I still have a fast car for a garage queen. And I just don't see how going so fast on public roads for a daily is such a prerequisite. I mean if you can't get by with a 250/350 what the hell are you in such a rush for?

I get it, to each his own. But it just makes me wonder when I read these power complaints what seems like a near daily occurrences. I mean at the end of the day there will always be a faster car.
Old 08-12-15, 08:16 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have IS350 for more power I was thinking of IS F. For V8 or V10 end of the day speed limits is still 70 mph.
Old 08-12-15, 08:26 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the S5. She's beautiful. I've always thought the S5 was the best looking Audi in an understated way.
For me I think Lexus really nailed it for best all around sports sedan with the 350 f. It might not have a ton of power but it's plenty for what I need.
Old 08-13-15, 07:17 AM
budman1
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on the new S5! Beautiful ride!!!
Old 08-13-15, 09:52 AM
sdotk
Pole Position

the most important question...how much did you get for the lexus trade in?

Quick Reply: traded Lexus in