IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

too much engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 09:29 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DrHorrible
For what it's worth I have overfilled by a quart on my cars and literally nothing happened. Cars have tolerances, you know. If it broke with a simple half quart extra then everyone's cars would be taking a **** on the roads from the average dullard.
exactly my point. I would hate to see the OP take his car back again over .4qt You don't want to be that guy. If it bothers you enough simply drain a little and check the level again. I know you already decided to leave it as is just giving an example.
Old 08-18-15, 09:45 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 3ISRC
exactly my point. I would hate to see the OP take his car back again over .4qt You don't want to be that guy. If it bothers you enough simply drain a little and check the level again. I know you already decided to leave it as is just giving an example.
I agree with you but unless you have a Fumoto valve installed, how do you propose to drain a "little?"
Old 08-18-15, 09:50 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
I agree with you but unless you have a Fumoto valve installed, how do you propose to drain a "little?"
Well that's a different situation. Does it come stock?

I'm glad you brought this up. I'm not familiar with fumoto valves. What are they btw and the benefits of installing one?

Last edited by 3ISRC; 08-18-15 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-18-15, 10:08 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Well that's a different situation. Does it come stock?

I'm glad you brought this up. I'm not familiar with fumoto valves. What are they btw and the benefits of installing one?
It's a quick drain valve that's installed in place of the oem drain plug - once installed, no tool is needed to drain your oil - they work great and make oil changes a breeze. I use one on my Civic - we only keep our Lexus's two years, so I haven't used one on them yet.

https://www.qwikvalve.com/search.php...keep_https=yes
Old 08-18-15, 10:17 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did mention it to my service adviser when he called for a follow up today. He said that everything is fine, but kept insisting for me to bring the car back so they can do it again. Told him that i didn't want to be that guy, like you mentioned, and that i'll just keep an eye on the oil level and if anything looks or sounds not right. He said that he'll even call in a few days to follow up again. Excellent service from my dealer
Old 08-18-15, 10:20 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tea
I did mention it to my service adviser when he called for a follow up today. He said that everything is fine, but kept insisting for me to bring the car back so they can do it again. Told him that i didn't want to be that guy, like you mentioned, and that i'll just keep an eye on the oil level and if anything looks or sounds not right. He said that he'll even call in a few days to follow up again. Excellent service from my dealer
You really do have and excellent service rep. I would keep their business. Thanks for the update. You definitely reminded us to always check the oil level after someone else done the oil change. I know I'm guilty of not checking at times.
Old 08-18-15, 10:22 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
It's a quick drain valve that's installed in place of the oem drain plug - once installed, no tool is needed to drain your oil - they work great and make oil changes a breeze. I use one on my Civic - we only keep our Lexus's two years, so I haven't used one on them yet.

https://www.qwikvalve.com/search.php...keep_https=yes
I like that! I have to put one in my daily celica gts and wife's forester. Thanks.