IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

HELP! Scratches on NAV/LCD Screen!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-15, 06:36 AM
markb3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP! Scratches on NAV/LCD Screen!

Hi Guys,

I used the "invisible glass" product with a paper towel (since I was cleaning all my windows first) on the NAV/LCD screen and now it seems to be permanently scratched in many places. I noticed it on the first few wipes back and forth (maybe 3 wipes) and immediately stopped. Tried to clean it gently with clean water immediately and nothing changed.

Is there anything I can do right now to remove this or minimize the damage? Picture below....

Its really upsetting to pay so much for a car and have the top surface of your screen a crappy plastic material, or whatever it is that would scratch like that. The sad thing is the scratches extend beyond the screen so not only is it slightly noticeable when the screen is on, its fully noticeable on the sides where there is all that wasted screen real estate.

Old 08-23-15, 06:38 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

You can't use that stuff as it's made for glass surfaces. You actually should use an LCD cleaner product which is much less abrasive.
Old 08-23-15, 06:40 AM
markb3
Driver

Well I know I can't use it now after its already damaged.

What now?
Old 08-23-15, 06:48 AM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

You can get a replacement glass front at the stealership
Old 08-23-15, 06:53 AM
markb3
Driver

Do you know roughly what that would cost?

Any alternatives? Such as applying some sort of screen protector that would minimize the appearance of the scratches?
Old 08-23-15, 10:44 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by markb3
Do you know roughly what that would cost?

Any alternatives? Such as applying some sort of screen protector that would minimize the appearance of the scratches?
NO dont get a replacement.

To make things perfectly clear - the bit you have scratched is an anti-reflection coating. Its very easily scratched for some reason and here in the UK, we've actually had one owner who got fed up to the point where he removed the full coating.

All you have to do is use the same product and rub all of it off - itll leave a perfect screen. The anti-reflective coating apparently doesn't work very well.

Then, he made his own by measuring the screen and used a laser cutter on an anti-reflective film. Came out great!
Old 08-23-15, 11:06 AM
markb3
Driver

Wow your post made me very happy. I want to report back that I tried this and you are correct, it is scratching off and the screen looks clean.

Funny that I was very gentle when the initial scratches happened and now that I am actually trying to remove it, it is very difficult. I'm about halfway done the screen and it sure is not coming off easily now. So far I worked about 20 minutes on this. I'll report back once I have it perfect.
Old 08-23-15, 01:14 PM
markb3
Driver

So it took me about a good hour to get it looking like this:

You could see that there is still some on the top right corner and top of the screen. It is pretty difficult to get off but it will come off. There is the same amount on the bottom of the screen. I will continue tomorrow and get the rest of it off.

I really appreciate your post rayaans. I was thinking I'd have to dish out hundreds of dollars to fix this, or even get the "we don't sell that part separate, you have to buy the whole nav unit again."

I will probably now look for a screen protector for the entire part to put on now. Anyone have some links that covers all of it and not just the display part?

And @EZZ, Invisible glass is not made just for glass surfaces. It was given to me from the people that tinted my windows. If they use it on film, I didn't see why it would be a bad idea to use it on the lcd screen.
Old 08-23-15, 02:18 PM
iDriveIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, thanks for posting bud - sorry this happened. i use invisible glass, too.
might try ultra/super fine angel hair steel wool (jewelry) for the corners. just a thought.
i would imagine you can only see the corners in certain light?

You could see that there is still some on the top right corner and top of the screen. It is pretty difficult to get off but it will come off. There is the same amount on the bottom of the screen. I will continue tomorrow and get the rest of it off.

I really appreciate your post rayaans. I was thinking I'd have to dish out hundreds of dollars to fix this, or even get the "we don't sell that part separate, you have to buy the whole nav unit again."

I will probably now look for a screen protector for the entire part to put on now. Anyone have some links that covers all of it and not just the display part?

And @EZZ, Invisible glass is not made just for glass surfaces. It was given to me from the people that tinted my windows. If they use it on film, I didn't see why it would be a bad idea to use it on the lcd screen.
Old 08-23-15, 04:35 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iDriveIS
wow, thanks for posting bud - sorry this happened. i use invisible glass, too.
might try ultra/super fine angel hair steel wool (jewelry) for the corners. just a thought.
i would imagine you can only see the corners in certain light?
Marbb3,

Sorry to see what happened but I am glad it turns out great. Actually I have seen this kind of damage to the same screen in a 3IS as a courtesy car for service from the dealership and I wondered what it was. Now the mystery gets resolved...

For the remaining corners of the screen, I would suggest masking the surrounding areas first, especially the vinyl and the matte plastic border of the screen before you continue to turn the screen into a shiny one.

Also be careful with what masking tapes you use. The vinyl surface in our car is well known to be super sensitive to chemical, even some normal car products you normally use for interior vinyl surfaces.

For myself, I actually treat that LCD screen with extreme care, I use a combination of LCD cleaner (Omniclean), very gentle interior cleaner and water with various types of MF cloths to deal with the surface. In fact, I avoid the surface to get dirty as well as wiping it. The plastic in all Lexus is supersensitive, especially if you can see all kind of tiny scratches under strong LED lights..

Last edited by AndyL; 08-23-15 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-23-15, 11:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't know about tint but it's not good for LCD or other display screens. They all have anti-glare coatings and any abrasive cleaners ruin them. LCD cleaners are the best to use for any display products. Full disclaimer: I was in the Display industry for many years.
Old 08-24-15, 04:46 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Im not too sure, this anti-reflective coating is very sensitive to any kind of cleaning. Even a damp microfiber can scratch it.

Use a baby wipe containing isopropyl alcohol to get the rest of it off - put some newspaper around the trim just in case.

If you have signwriting equipment at hand, or know someone who does, get some of the Clear Laminate Vinyl and make sure it has UV protection layer within it. Carefully measure the screen and just cut it down to that size - looks factory fresh!

This is what the UK member managed to do:

From this....

.... to this
Old 01-01-16, 07:56 PM
treymoczy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

New here to the forums-- just got a IS350 F Sport '14.

My father had this same car previously (though it was a '15), and I know his experienced this screen scratching as well. The used '14 I just picked up has a flawless screen...for now. I'd like to get a screen protector to prevent this issue from inevitably occurring in the future.

Anyone have any product recommendation for what screen protector product I could use for my IS350?? I appreciate any and all help.
Old 01-01-16, 11:10 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by treymoczy
Hi all,

New here to the forums-- just got a IS350 F Sport '14.

My father had this same car previously (though it was a '15), and I know his experienced this screen scratching as well. The used '14 I just picked up has a flawless screen...for now. I'd like to get a screen protector to prevent this issue from inevitably occurring in the future.

Anyone have any product recommendation for what screen protector product I could use for my IS350?? I appreciate any and all help.
I don't think a screen protector is necessary. Just don't use products on it to clean it. I've been using a damp cloth to clean it and it's been perfect with no streaks.
Old 01-02-16, 05:01 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by goldengame
I don't think a screen protector is necessary. Just don't use products on it to clean it. I've been using a damp cloth to clean it and it's been perfect with no streaks.
^^^ You likely don't have a defective one. My dealer said the ones that peel off are defective and are being replaced as owners have reported them. My IS has had no issues but my NX has. It started peeling and that's with a water-damped MF cloth! A new screen has been ordered under warranty.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post9301700

Quick Reply: HELP! Scratches on NAV/LCD Screen!