IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

didjaknow?: Remote start via Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-15, 12:57 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default didjaknow?: Remote start via Key Fob

Remote starting the car w/o using the Enform Remote App.

Press the Lock button 3 times, and on the third time hold until the parking lights begin to flash, release the lock button.

The vehicle will start within a few seconds.

Pressing the Unlock button or opening the door will shut off the car.

I think you have to have the Enform app setup and working in order to use this.
Old 08-25-15, 01:07 PM
Thang
Rookie

You sir are awesome. Tested on my 2015 IS 250 and it worked just as stated.
Old 08-25-15, 01:38 PM
SummerRain
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
Remote starting the car w/o using the Enform Remote App.

Press the Lock button 3 times, and on the third time hold until the parking lights begin to flash, release the lock button.

The vehicle will start within a few seconds.

Pressing the Unlock button or opening the door will shut off the car.

I think you have to have the Enform app setup and working in order to use this.
That kinda defeat the whole purpose. Even worse than the enform remote.

I have to be close enough to the car in order to use the key fob. However, the engine just shuts off when I unlock the car. I know the "engine shut off" topic is discussed in the enform remote thread. I am not trying to argue anything. I just can't think of any situation to remote start the car using the key fob. I have to be next to my car in a hot summer day, start it up, wait outside until the inside cools down, then unlock the car, get in and start up again? Enform remote is kinda a bit more useful since I can start it up remotely, far from the car.
Old 08-25-15, 02:05 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm assuming this is only for 2015 and not 2014?
Old 08-25-15, 02:14 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Great info but GearHead69 gets the credit for this one, posted up in the RC forum back in Dec 2014.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...h-key-fob.html
Yes he did, but I get credit for having found it an realizing it also works on the IS!
Old 08-25-15, 02:15 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SummerRain
That kinda defeat the whole purpose. Even worse than the enform remote.

I have to be close enough to the car in order to use the key fob. However, the engine just shuts off when I unlock the car. I know the "engine shut off" topic is discussed in the enform remote thread. I am not trying to argue anything. I just can't think of any situation to remote start the car using the key fob. I have to be next to my car in a hot summer day, start it up, wait outside until the inside cools down, then unlock the car, get in and start up again? Enform remote is kinda a bit more useful since I can start it up remotely, far from the car.
The range on the stock remote is pretty good. I'm with you on it shutting off on unlock/opening.
But the benefit of this is you dont necessarily need to have your phone on you, or do you have to wait for the delayed start/response from the car (i've noticed the app takes a good 60 seconds before i get something back saying the car is started) -- either way I dont see this as BETTER than the app... just another option and generally good to know
Old 08-25-15, 02:18 PM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Yeah, i never used the remote start other than to play with it. Seems like 1 too many steps with the having to turn it on again.
Old 08-25-15, 02:18 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 3ISRC
I'm assuming this is only for 2015 and not 2014?
I'd assume so too but I dont have a 2014 to test it out.
Old 08-25-15, 02:19 PM
SummerRain
Driver

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
The range on the stock remote is pretty good. I'm with you on it shutting off on unlock/opening.
But the benefit of this is you dont necessarily need to have your phone on you, or do you have to wait for the delayed start/response from the car (i've noticed the app takes a good 60 seconds before i get something back saying the car is started) -- either way I dont see this as BETTER than the app... just another option and generally good to know
For the app, I can sit in my air-conditioned home/office and start it up 10 mins before I am leaving. The delay is not really that important. I usually get around 20s delay depends on where I park my car.

I think what Lexus should do is that the engine won't shut off if we use the key fob to start the car. It's ok to shut off if we are using the app, for safety concern.
Old 08-25-15, 03:47 PM
atomic350
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice little hidden features. However, I can confirm it doesn't work on my 2014 3IS w. Navi. Bummer
Old 08-25-15, 04:07 PM
SummerRain
Driver

Originally Posted by atomic350
Nice little hidden features. However, I can confirm it doesn't work on my 2014 3IS w. Navi. Bummer
Do you have active enform remote subscription? You may need the subscription for it to work.
Old 08-25-15, 07:40 PM
Kov
Driver

I am guessing this is a no go for Canada ... where it actually gets to -40c during winter
Old 08-25-15, 07:46 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SummerRain
Do you have active enform remote subscription? You may need the subscription for it to work.
Yeah I don't think the enform subscription to be able to auto-start is available for 14'. If I remember we don't have the module that it needs installed.

Last edited by 3ISRC; 08-25-15 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-25-15, 08:26 PM
Ekilla
Driver School Candidate

I knew something was up with my key fob! I kept pressing the lock button and next thing you know, my car turns on! Its a cool feature but however it doesn't make sense. Car starts, but once you unlock the door the car turns off...
Old 08-25-15, 09:49 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for this! I just tested it out and it works. I will use this more often because I hate the delay when using the app. Sometimes when using the app the request will fail and not go through.

And for everyone complaining about the car shutting off, it's a safety feature. And it's not exclusive to Lexus. Ford has it. Suburu has it. Toyota has it. Most car's OEM remote start will be like that.

Quick Reply: didjaknow?: Remote start via Key Fob