IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Buying a new IS350 Premium - Not Fsport

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 02:55 PM
dmanmtl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new IS350 Premium - Not Fsport

I am coming off a 2011 IS250 - great car but I always found it under powered.

I am close to closing a deal on a 2015 Atomic Silver IS350 Premium, not the Fsport

It seems that everyone here opts for the F Sport trim level. It includes several nice features but they are all things I think I can live without (spring dampers in the front, fancy gauges...front end difference).

Can anyone convince me to change my mind and shell out the extra for an Fsport? What am I missing? I actually like the more traditional gauge cluster on the Premium version, I like an analog Speedo.

Open to any thoughts...
D
Old 09-14-15, 03:10 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I once read a review on this forum stating that there is no difference between F-sport and non f-sport unless you track your car (thats when the f-sport adaptive suspensive and sport+ comes in). Why not test drive an f-sport? That seems to be the best way to find out if you really are missing out on something.

Edit: I got the F-Sport because of the exterior aesthetics, the gauge clusters, and the seats. oh my god the seats.

Last edited by RoiteTrom; 09-14-15 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-14-15, 03:20 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I've had my non F Sport model for almost two years now. When I bought it, I was unwilling to sacrifice certain features that the F Sport did not have, and I found the performance of the base suspension to still be better than the 2IS. I decided I would use those luxury items more than I would use AVS. All this, however, was trumped by the fact that my wife hated the F Sport grill. "I'm fine with you getting one, but please don't get that grill..."

Two years later and I don't regret my decision. However, when my lease is up (one more year), if I decide to stay with the IS, I would probably get the F Sport, just to have something slightly different. Though that would be an interesting conversation with the missus.

You'll see a lot of F Sport bias on here, but that's okay. I've noticed that there is some misunderstanding of the non F Sport models and the features they possess. So think about the cosmetic differences, interior differences (seats, trim, gauges), and the adaptive suspension, then decide what's important to you, and make your decision.

I'm not familiar with Canadian pricing, but here my non F was the same price as an F Sport, so you may not have to pay more to get one if that's what you decide.
Old 09-14-15, 03:45 PM
SummerRain
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do miss some of the features which are not available to the F sport. I really don't know why can't Lexus put those option in as well. All in all, I just cannot give up the Ultra White/Rioja Red combination which is exclusive to F sport only. Whenever there's another white car parking beside mine, mine is always "whiter"!

I was excited about the LFA gauge at the very beginning but it actually shows less info in standard position. It's cool but I would prefer the desgin in RC F/GS F.

It really depends on your preference. I go for F sport mainly because of the look.
Old 09-14-15, 04:09 PM
dmanmtl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

I'm not planning any track driving so I don't think I need the sport +

I drove both and noticed very little difference. I found the fsport Gaige cluster to be a bit distracting but I would get used to it. Seats seem the same.
One thing that bugs me is that the fsport 1 package does not come with a sunroof.
Old 09-14-15, 04:25 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the non F-sport in Atomic Silver Premium and I would have it no other way. It's not about getting what everyone else has or think is better, its about what your preferences are and what you want. YOU are driving the car not the guys on this forum.
Old 09-14-15, 04:36 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by PAPI007
It's not about getting what everyone else has or think is better, its about what your preferences are and what you want. YOU are driving the car not the guys on this forum.
^^This

I got the F Sport because I liked the way it looked better than the non f sport. At the end of the day, you're paying for it, you get what you want to drive. Either way, I believe you will love driving it.
Old 09-14-15, 04:40 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dmanmtl
I am coming off a 2011 IS250 - great car but I always found it under powered.

I am close to closing a deal on a 2015 Atomic Silver IS350 Premium, not the Fsport
Good for you. It's kind of weird in here, almost as if there's an F-sport fetish.
I wouldn't take it if it was free.
Old 09-14-15, 04:52 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dizlex
Good for you. It's kind of weird in here, almost as if there's an F-sport fetish.
I wouldn't take it if it was free.
C'mon......you would totally take it if it was free.....
Old 09-14-15, 06:46 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe the f-sport comes with aluminum gas and brake pedals... not that it matters lol!
Old 09-15-15, 02:06 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys left out the most powerful future of the FSport badge LoL!!! J/k I would take the Fsport it seem like it born with the 3rd gen and the gauges,red seat combination! Please choose careful.
Old 09-15-15, 11:53 AM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the F-Sport because I like the snugness of the seats and that front grill. If those options don't pique your interest, I'd say go premium! Should be cheaper, more available options (i.e. MEMORY SEATS!!! and stock fogs) and if you want a sportier ride, you can just get coils.
Old 09-15-15, 04:41 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dmanmtl
Thanks guys.

I'm not planning any track driving so I don't think I need the sport +

I drove both and noticed very little difference. I found the fsport Gaige cluster to be a bit distracting but I would get used to it. Seats seem the same.
One thing that bugs me is that the fsport 1 package does not come with a sunroof.
Seems like you already made a decision, and you seem to be justifying that choice. Like someone said earlier, purchase the option that you want, not what other people tell you to.

Not sure what "fsport 1 package" is but my F-Sport does come with a sun roof
Old 09-16-15, 07:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
Not sure what "fsport 1 package" is but my F-Sport does come with a sun roof
The F Sport package is different in Canada.
Old 09-16-15, 09:08 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Ahh got it

Quick Reply: Buying a new IS350 Premium - Not Fsport