IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Question about 3is modification and insurance(CANADA)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-15, 02:02 PM
yli319
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about 3is modification and insurance(CANADA)

Xxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by yli319; 09-24-15 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-17-15, 02:06 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Never heard of it before, but that is why they ask you when you get your policy, is the car modified in anyway?

I can ask a buddy of mine (he's a broker) and see what he says about this..

I would ask the insurance, how do these mods make the car unsafe? And which mods are they aware of?

Getting your policy cancelled is like a death blow. You'll be black balled by every insurance company out there.
Old 09-17-15, 02:14 PM
yli319
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brendanf
Never heard of it before, but that is why they ask you when you get your policy, is the car modified in anyway?

I can ask a buddy of mine (he's a broker) and see what he says about this..

I would ask the insurance, how do these mods make the car unsafe? And which mods are they aware of?

Getting your policy cancelled is like a death blow. You'll be black balled by every insurance company out there.
The policy started last year when i purchased, i made these modifications this summer, 1 year passed.

And yes please.

Now they are asking me to find dealer and do a test then provide document from to proof this vehicle meets requirement.
Old 09-17-15, 02:18 PM
yli319
Driver School Candidate

RSR SUSPENSION
AIR INTAKE
19 WHEEL

are very common modifications for vehicle, no??
Old 09-17-15, 02:23 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Your problem will be finding a dealer to provide that document.

No dealer in their right mind will issue that document because they will/could be liable if let's say you were in another accident. Unless it was the dealer that installed these mods for you.

It's pure B.S. by RBC and their way of getting out of insuring you. They take the approach that you've lied to them about the car. It is like not disclosing a speeding ticket when you sign up, because they do ask 'Any tickets?' and if they find one, your history.

Personally I would start shopping for new insurance before you get cancelled so you don't have a mark on your record.

I sent a text to my friend. Hopefully he will get back to me soon.

I would consider going to the media with this, Pat Foran at CTV would find this interesting.
Old 09-17-15, 02:40 PM
yli319
Driver School Candidate

Your problem will be finding a dealer to provide that document.

No dealer in their right mind will issue that document because they will/could be liable if let's say you were in another accident. Unless it was the dealer that installed these mods for you.

It's pure B.S. by RBC and their way of getting out of insuring you. They take the approach that you've lied to them about the car. It is like not disclosing a speeding ticket when you sign up, because they do ask 'Any tickets?' and if they find one, your history.

Personally I would start shopping for new insurance before you get cancelled so you don't have a mark on your record.

I sent a text to my friend. Hopefully he will get back to me soon.

I would consider going to the media with this, Pat Foran at CTV would find this interesting.
little confused, this is my first vehicle and i can tell i don't have any tickets, the lady on the phone told its due to modification, no idea.

Are they have right to cancel any policy they want?
Old 09-17-15, 02:51 PM
brendanf
Advanced

When I was talking about tickets, it was just an example of how they can be dicks.

Insurance companies make their own rules, so yes they can cancel on you if they feel like it. What you have to worry about is that if an insurance company cancels your policy for any reason, every insurance company will know (they also ask you this question) and you will have a very hard time getting insurance. You might get stuck at a high-risk company with liability coverage only and it will cost you a lot more money.

My advice is to shop around now for new insurance or put the car back to stock to keep them happy and then later on (ie: next spring) get NEW insurance and disclose the mods to them.
Old 09-17-15, 03:08 PM
yli319
Driver School Candidate

i asked if i can continue this policy if i put everything back to original, but she said i will still need document from lexus official to proof then they will re-consider this.
Old 09-17-15, 03:20 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Well I guess it doesn't hurt to ask a dealer about it. Maybe they have come across this before but I think you will have a hard time with that.

Anyway, my friend got back to me, and he says the same thing I said earlier.

They can cancel you if they want for non-disclosure.
Old 09-17-15, 03:47 PM
yli319
Driver School Candidate

Well I guess it doesn't hurt to ask a dealer about it. Maybe they have come across this before but I think you will have a hard time with that.

Anyway, my friend got back to me, and he says the same thing I said earlier.

They can cancel you if they want for non-disclosure.
Thanks for follow up, trying to contact dealer for information about this kind of document.
Old 09-17-15, 08:22 PM
Smitty17
Driver School Candidate

A buddy of mine here in Ontario got a call from his insurance company one day. They said they saw his car on his facebook and it looked modified and they are cancelling his insurance.
Old 09-17-15, 09:15 PM
yli319
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Smitty17
A buddy of mine here in Ontario got a call from his insurance company one day. They said they saw his car on his facebook and it looked modified and they are cancelling his insurance.
What kind modifies he done??

does that mean we can't do any modification?
as we can see, many people at this forum did modification on their vehicle, are they going to get cancelled due to same reason??
Old 09-18-15, 11:16 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

yli319, I'm sorry about the troubles you're going through and I never thought of bringing up my similar mods to my insurance company. If there's any comfort you can take from your experience, it's the fact that you shared it with us and know that I took immediate action in updating my file with RBC Insurance since I have similar mods plus exhaust. I know it doesn't change your situation but hopefully your situation will help others like it has for me. RBC was thorough in asking for the purpose of the mods and costs, and they wanted receipts which I provided. My premium went up by a negligible 15$/yr, oh and that includes all coverage of these mods as well as the Vossens on my NX.

In short, lesson for all here (at least in Canada and for RBC Insurance clients). Disclose all mods/aftermarket additions and you'll be fine.
Old 09-19-15, 03:14 PM
yli319
Driver School Candidate

They are asking me for "License Lexus Technical Document", this document shows this vehicle meets manufacturer specification.
i contact my dealer, but they have no idea about whats that document.

Basically they want to me show them my vehicle does not exceed manufacturer's specification.

Anyone here knows?
Old 09-19-15, 04:47 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Is this a Canadian thing? or can some US owners provide similar stories?

Quick Reply: Question about 3is modification and insurance(CANADA)