IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

little bit of steam coming out from under hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-15, 07:18 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default little bit of steam coming out from under hood

got my joe z exhaust put in today. after getting it installed i was obviously getting on the car to see how it sounds.. i came to a stop and smelled that sulfur smell that people normally do when getting on their engines but also noticed some smoke/steam seeping out from under the back of my hood. no overheating though. immediately got alarmed and shut off the car. popped the hood and everything was fine. no smoke at all. turned it back on and all was normal and drove the car again and there was nothing.

what could this be? something serious i hope not. i do not drive me car hard at all. its got almost 14k and changed the oil at 10k. this has never happened before. it was hot today though like 90+ any insight would be appreciated. maybe it was just from driving it hard?
Old 09-17-15, 08:04 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm, far-fetched guess but maybe ac condensation water from underneath the car hitting exhaust component creating steam? Or coolant overflow reservoir dripped and hit hot component?

I've really no idea lol, but just throwing those out there.

I've heard of the burning sulfur smell when running the car hard, but not heard of smoke/steam.
There is also a break-in period for new exhaust components.
Old 09-17-15, 08:15 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

hey LexSense thanks for your quick response! yeah ill keep a close eye on it. i didn't check the coolant level though. i have seen it spill out before, when cleaning the engine bay i noticed dried coolant around the opening. maybe it hit a hot part and it was just burning off. (lets hope lol)

so you're saying i should maybe take it easy on the new exhaust to break it it properly? definitely don't want to mess it up. it wasn't cheap. if so how many miles to break it in? thanks in advance!
Old 09-17-15, 08:31 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shivad87
hey LexSense thanks for your quick response! yeah ill keep a close eye on it. i didn't check the coolant level though. i have seen it spill out before, when cleaning the engine bay i noticed dried coolant around the opening. maybe it hit a hot part and it was just burning off. (lets hope lol)

so you're saying i should maybe take it easy on the new exhaust to break it it properly? definitely don't want to mess it up. it wasn't cheap. if so how many miles to break it in? thanks in advance!
Nope you don't have to go easy on the exhaust

The break in process is more for the sound and for all of the new internal factory coatings in the pipe to burn off/settle, all of which happens naturally

Last edited by LexSense; 09-17-15 at 08:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-17-15, 08:33 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

ok cool thanks!!
a little off topic, but how do you like the joe z intake? i know we lose the sound generator. but I'm loving his exhaust so i can only imagine it'll sound good with the exhaust + whatever hp gains
Old 09-17-15, 08:51 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Joe Z with the Lexus F-Sport drop in filter made a small bump in the butt dyno haha. I'd say the increase (if any) isn't drastic. It does add some more oomph and it is subtly noticeable.

The filter by itself probably doesn't do much of anything (except make it slightly more free flowing and the lifetime aspect). But after the JoeZ went in, the two in combination however, is pretty nice.

Yes you do lose some noise from the sound generator being gone though, but with your exhaust it wouldn't matter lol.

Edit: For just an intake mod to produce such effects, I'd say it's totally worth it, as I wasn't expecting any difference.

Last edited by LexSense; 09-17-15 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Added more opinion