IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Infuriating - That silly center console clock

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-15, 12:59 PM
dendenyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infuriating - That silly center console clock

So I missed the train this morning by about 20 seconds...I thought I got to the tracks on time because while driving I kept an eye on the analog (who's decision was that) clock in my IS300. I made sure to setup the car to use GPS to set the time however little did I know this did not apply to that analog clock in the car. I was at the mercy of whatever my dealer set it to when I picked her up 3 weeks ago.

Im just venting here, I know there is nothing I can do besides set the clock and hope it keeps good time.

I do have a question to you guys though...the breadcrumbs that pops up on my GPS, do those eventually expire? My neighborhood is starting to look a bit...dotty
Old 11-16-15, 01:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I quite like the clock, but yes, you have to set it separate from the nav clock.

I just turn the breadcrumbs off completely. It's not a useful function for day to day driving, in my opinion.
Old 11-16-15, 02:02 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

4GS here... My clock wanders every now and then. It'll consistently keep time for months, then out of the blue it's 5 mins fast.

The crumbs expire after a few days but of course you'll always have them since you frequent your neighborhood daily.
Old 11-16-15, 02:31 PM
dendenyc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yardie876
4GS here... My clock wanders every now and then. It'll consistently keep time for months, then out of the blue it's 5 mins fast.

The crumbs expire after a few days but of course you'll always have them since you frequent your neighborhood daily.
yes yardie, mi si yu!
Old 11-16-15, 05:48 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dendenyc
yes yardie, mi si yu!
Big up! Lol
Old 11-17-15, 10:00 AM
Sphinx007
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

omg...are people seriously complaining about the analog clock now?? There's a reason why it's an analog clock because it's analog so it's not tied to the GPS lol .....I guess ppl these days are too used to digital and don't know how analog clock works lmao
Old 11-17-15, 01:34 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sphinx007
omg...are people seriously complaining about the analog clock now?? There's a reason why it's an analog clock because it's analog so it's not tied to the GPS lol .....I guess ppl these days are too used to digital and don't know how analog clock works lmao
Actually! The analog clock in the LS is tied to the GPS. Have no problem with an analog clock, just wish it would be more accurate.
Old 11-17-15, 03:05 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 884 Likes on 666 Posts

Breadcrumbs are enabled/disabled through Options (top of screen) then Map Information
Pages 96-97 of the Nav Book. The dots do not expire but only accumulate for 124 miles.

Try turning Route Trace on when leaving your IS with a valet...closely spaced dots around
the lot are expected...widely spaced dots down the nearest Industrial Park frontage road...!!!

Another use might be when entering a National Park, look honey, we've been here!
Old 11-17-15, 06:06 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't had a problem with the analog clock yet. it seems to be accurate once set. But I've always had digital clocks in my previous vehicles and I'll admit at first I hated going back to analog I had to sorta train my brain how to read the time again. lol. but now I'm used to it.
I use the computer everyday and have for many years. When I have to actually write something i struggle and my had writing looks like garbage. I used to have pretty decent penmanship.

Last edited by gregerst; 11-17-15 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-17-15, 07:03 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My clock is off by 5 min every month or so...unbelievable how they can't make an accurate clock nowadays, in Japan!
Old 11-18-15, 04:06 AM
IS350SWFL
Rookie

My thoughts exactly.
Old 11-19-15, 08:01 AM
dendenyc
Driver School Candidate

Yes, people these days do prefer a clock to keep the correct time, you know...since its time.
Personally I feel the analog clock is a miss for Lexus because lets face it, when you're driving it takes longer than a quick glance at an analog clock to determine if its 7:22 or 7:23 and then add to that, you have to hope that it haven't drifted. Analog clocks have its place in the world, but not in a cockpit where you need to keep youre eye on the road. Unless its part of Lexus's design plan for me to pull over to read the clock while I clean my monocle and untwist my suspenders

Last edited by dendenyc; 11-19-15 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-19-15, 08:05 AM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All they need to do is display the time somewhere on the nav screen. It is silly to me that they can't or don't want to do this.
Old 11-19-15, 09:10 AM
dendenyc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gregerst
All they need to do is display the time somewhere on the nav screen. It is silly to me that they can't or don't want to do this.
exactly my point...for crying out loud BREADCRUMBS is on by default on the NAV but a simple digital clock...nope, no way.
Old 11-19-15, 09:59 AM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't have a problem with the analog clock. It doesn't "drift" like some people are saying so I guess I should be thankful for that. I think it does "look" nice but I agree it takes a bit longer to actually figure out what time it is.

Quick Reply: Infuriating - That silly center console clock