IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS350 FSport Should I sell

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 05:18 AM
kmanpete24
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 IS350 FSport Should I sell

Should I sell my car? I have been contemplating on selling my IS350 FSport for a couple of months now. Majority of the time it sits in my garage. I only drive the car in the weekends and holidays. It is almost a year and a half with only 12,100 miles on it. During workdays I drive my Yaris to cut in and out of traffic. If you live in South Florida you will understand.

Give me your take. How much do you guys think I will get for it?

Again it is a 2014 IS350 FSport with Mark Levinson, Nav, Power Tilt and Telescopic Steering Wheel, Blind Sport Monitor with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert.
Old 11-23-15, 06:44 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Its a complicated question, because it depends more on the person who OWNS the car. You have people that own multiple cars and love just HAVING cars, and other people that feel every single car must be utilized or its a WASTE. So which are you?

I would start by saying, ask yourself the following questions:

1. Do I love this car? Do I feel attachment to it (aka, would you miss it when its gone?)
2. Is this a money issue? (I dont' know you, so can you afford to just let a car sit and just drive it when you want to? Are you doing this to save money, or just because you want it out of the garage?)
3. Which kind of person are you (from my above comparison)?

I personally enjoy having a car that is only driven when I want to. You are worried about 12k miles in 1.5 yrs? My Camaro has 10k miles on it in almost 4 years of ownership. Why? Run through the list....I love the car (I mod the daylights out of it), I have plenty of side cash to pay for it, and I enjoy collecting cars.

Good luck.

And I was just in southern Florida last month, people drive like knuckleheads....so I agree with your judgments.
Old 11-23-15, 07:59 AM
kmanpete24
Rookie

Originally Posted by Swacer
Its a complicated question, because it depends more on the person who OWNS the car. You have people that own multiple cars and love just HAVING cars, and other people that feel every single car must be utilized or its a WASTE. So which are you?

I would start by saying, ask yourself the following questions:

1. Do I love this car? Do I feel attachment to it (aka, would you miss it when its gone?)
2. Is this a money issue? (I dont' know you, so can you afford to just let a car sit and just drive it when you want to? Are you doing this to save money, or just because you want it out of the garage?)
3. Which kind of person are you (from my above comparison)?

I personally enjoy having a car that is only driven when I want to. You are worried about 12k miles in 1.5 yrs? My Camaro has 10k miles on it in almost 4 years of ownership. Why? Run through the list....I love the car (I mod the daylights out of it), I have plenty of side cash to pay for it, and I enjoy collecting cars.

Good luck.

And I was just in southern Florida last month, people drive like knuckleheads....so I agree with your judgments.

Your camaro looks really nice and you definitely need to drive it more often. I don't like to see cars collecting dust and I am not into collecting cars. Don't get me wrong I love the IS. When I was in my 20s I was into modding cars and love driving fast. Now that I am almost 40 I am into real estate and drive like a grandma. I am going to get slap for saying this. From delivery the IS has never been out of ECO mode and never WOT.

Ever since I got married and had my daughter I've changed. Call me crazy.
Old 11-23-15, 08:40 AM
FSportDRM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive my Mazda 3 Mon-Thurs. and on Fridays weekends I drive the IS. I used to drive the IS on a daily basis and racked up 22K in 1 year. Ive had the same thoughts about getting rid of it but the when I drive it I want to keep it. If I end up getting rid of it Id probably end up getting something else later on like a GSF of RCF, so of the moment I am keeping it and enjoying it when I drive it.
Old 11-23-15, 09:33 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kmanpete24
Your camaro looks really nice and you definitely need to drive it more often. I don't like to see cars collecting dust and I am not into collecting cars. Don't get me wrong I love the IS. When I was in my 20s I was into modding cars and love driving fast. Now that I am almost 40 I am into real estate and drive like a grandma. I am going to get slap for saying this. From delivery the IS has never been out of ECO mode and never WOT.

I have a 2005 S2000 that I hardly ever drive. It's purely a weekend car for summer fun. It's rare in that it has only 8k miles and is completely stock/mint. I don't think it's depreciating much, so other than insurance, it doesn't cost me much to keep it.

However, the IS350 is something different entirely. It's likely depreciating like a rock just sitting in your garage. And from your comment about Eco mode, it sounds like you're not really getting to enjoy the car even when you do drive it. So if it's not a collectible car, your not driving it, and it's depreciating, then what's the point of keeping it?
Old 11-23-15, 09:34 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by kmanpete24

Doesn't sound like you're attached to the IS (or any car for that matter) at this stage in your life. I see no harm in selling it as your priorities have shifted. It's an object which can be replaced at any time in the future.
Old 11-23-15, 12:09 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is your feeling when you first got the IS? Save the car for your wife!
Old 11-23-15, 10:35 PM
kmanpete24
Rookie

All of you have valid points and I am in agreement. I am just in a different stage in my life. Thank you for reminding me that it is depreciating. This will definitely make me move a little quicker.

Why I bought it in the first place: I felled in love with the design of both the exterior and interior of the car and I had the first gen IS and a second gen, but both before I was married.

Let me check what it is worth and post it on autotrader.

EthanV: my wife has a 2015 and 2009 RX350. The 2009 RX350 is used when I take clients to showings.
Old 12-03-15, 01:39 AM
kmanpete24
Rookie

I decided to list my car on the vehicle classified on clublexus. Hopefully I will get a bite.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...es-loaded.html
Old 12-03-15, 10:12 AM
jkhang714
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

What market price are you selling at? Without the price, an admin will lock ur thread
Old 12-03-15, 10:49 AM
Namster
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, please post a starting price and more pictures of interior and exterior would help your sale.

Here's a similar for sale thread of the same vehicle:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...0-f-sport.html