IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Winter Tire VS All Season

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-15, 02:55 PM
ra123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tire VS All Season

I recently purchased a 2016 IS 350AWD F sport and I am finding it hard to find affordable winter tires. I checked tirerack and they have the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 which is very expensive. I was comparing that to all-season options such as the BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S which are almost half the price and reviews state similar ratings for snow/ice performance.

I live in Buffalo so snow gets pretty bad here. Although this year has been lucky for us without there being any precipitation. I have stock Turanza tires on the car which seem to have bad reviews.

Should I invest in the winter tire or the excellent all season? I drive mostly on local roads and my commutes are short.

Also the dealer is trying to sell me on some Blizzaks. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 12-03-15, 02:58 PM
jw111
Driver School Candidate

I would say either the Blizzak WS80's or the Michelin X-ice XI3 would be a pretty good choice for the money. I think on TireRack there's a $70 rebate for the Michelins too.
Old 12-03-15, 03:03 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Advice:

- NEVER get tires at the dealer... never ever ever!
Old 12-03-15, 04:11 PM
ra123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
Advice:

- NEVER get tires at the dealer... never ever ever!

Is it because of the cost?
I am trying get xpel installed on my car and it happens to be pretty expensive in my area. Going with the dealer may save me money.
Old 12-03-15, 04:49 PM
Taideee
Rookie

Originally Posted by ra123
I am trying get xpel installed on my car and it happens to be pretty expensive in my area. Going with the dealer may save me money.
well honestly dealers sometimes does charge a lot more but also they don't do as good of a job on certain things.

XPEL... is your dealer using precut ones?

As for tires, best for winter is blizzak IMO

I personally prefer all seasons
(then again... I was driving in 4 inches of snow in a BMW with Summer tires before)
but Snow tires definitely give WAY better traction

I never had issues with my Audi in slow (Pirelli P6 and Pirelli p7 all seasons) in around 3-12? inches of snow

Never did a snow run with my lexus yet :P
Old 12-03-15, 06:18 PM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got bfg ice wrt for 136 each and 160 mail in rebate from tire rack. With the cheapest wheels they were at my door mounted and balanced for $1k before the rebate. They aren't as good as the wife's blizzaks but they work infinitely better then her all season conti dws that are good enough for me to be on my 4th set for our boring cars
Old 12-03-15, 06:21 PM
Snowrydr01
Driver

I have a buddy in the tire testing equipment industry and he says the same.

Production line gets a spec, tire rack gets b spec, local tire dealers get c spec, car dealers get d spec. They are all in tolerance but how close to perfect varies. It makes sense that the people that move the most have the best leverage and get the higher priority
Old 12-03-15, 06:26 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Snowrydr01
I have a buddy in the tire testing equipment industry and he says the same.

Production line gets a spec, tire rack gets b spec, local tire dealers get c spec, car dealers get d spec. They are all in tolerance but how close to perfect varies. It makes sense that the people that move the most have the best leverage and get the higher priority
What is xpel?

And who is production line?

So tire rack gets better tires than local dealers?
Old 12-03-15, 07:08 PM
Taideee
Rookie

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
What is xpel?

And who is production line?

So tire rack gets better tires than local dealers?
XPEL is a Clear bra brand a PPF (paint protection film)

Clear bra is essentially a film that goes on top of your paint to protect it from physical and solar damage.

There is also nanocoating like Ceramic pro, gtechniq, etc

Last edited by Taideee; 12-03-15 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-03-15, 07:38 PM
ra123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Taideee
well honestly dealers sometimes does charge a lot more but also they don't do as good of a job on certain things.

XPEL... is your dealer using precut ones?

As for tires, best for winter is blizzak IMO

I personally prefer all seasons
(then again... I was driving in 4 inches of snow in a BMW with Summer tires before)
but Snow tires definitely give WAY better traction

I never had issues with my Audi in slow (Pirelli P6 and Pirelli p7 all seasons) in around 3-12? inches of snow

Never did a snow run with my lexus yet :P

I had Pirelli on my Acura RL and they were amazing. Are the stock tires on the Lexus IS 350 (Turanza) really as bad as people make them out to be?
Old 12-03-15, 08:07 PM
Taideee
Rookie

I had Pirelli on my Acura RL and they were amazing. Are the stock tires on the Lexus IS 350 (Turanza) really as bad as people make them out to be?
Generally michelin is a great brand but the stock tires are of horrible quality. Initially they drive great but I believe it only lasts 8000 ish miles. So I guess these are just a cheap OEM tire? the reviews on tirerack is like 3 or 4 out of 10 for like all categories
Old 12-03-15, 09:07 PM
2015isboy
Driver

I have a Rear wheel is350

Can I run 225-40-18 all around for a staggered set up?

Currently back wheels are 255 35 18. Wheels are a bit bigger than front.
Old 12-03-15, 09:57 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

The stock Bridgestone Turanza EL-400s are average in snow, but terrible on ice. In New York, I would dish out money for a proper set of snow tires. I have the PA4s and they are great on dry pavement but not as good as the Xi3 or WS80 in snow. Since the PA4s are performance winter tires, there is some trade off.

I'm with @J3ffrey on not getting the tires at the dealer. In Canada, most tire shops will offer better pricing and a road hazard warranty. At Costco, there is also lifetime free balancing and wheel swaps (if you have a dedicated set of wheels for the snow tires).
Old 12-04-15, 04:57 AM
ra123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by computerwi
The stock Bridgestone Turanza EL-400s are average in snow, but terrible on ice. In New York, I would dish out money for a proper set of snow tires. I have the PA4s and they are great on dry pavement but not as good as the Xi3 or WS80 in snow. Since the PA4s are performance winter tires, there is some trade off.
I can't find winter tires that are the exact specs for my rims. I have stock rims. It is a staggered set up. They are 18 inches and tire rack does not suggest any Winter tires. It only has 17 or 19 recommended tires
Old 12-04-15, 05:31 AM
gocubs08
Pole Position

I just put a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 All season high performance tires to replace the stocks. Last winter my car was amazing in the snow and that was with the crappy stock tires. So far these tires are amazing! Ride quality and handling feel better and wet traction is by far improved over stock. These cost me under $700 from Tire Rack and I cant be happier. It has not snowed yet but from the reviews I have read these perform pretty good!

I really dont see the need for snow tires unless you live in Canada or Alaska when you have a good set of All-season tires on your AWD. My last vehicle was an 08' IS350 and snow tires were required for me to get around.

cheers!

Quick Reply: Winter Tire VS All Season