Strange metal noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 12:33 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange metal noise

Hello,

I have encountered a strange noise from my car.

The sound is similar to a metal rotating sound. It may be coming from the front right wheel.

I cannot hear it on the freeway. I would say that I can hear it quite frequently at slower speeds. Sometimes It would go away momentarily.

I tried turning the wheel left to right to see if that had an effect at slower/higher speeds, doesn't seem related, could be wrong.

Before I take this to a shop I want to get the communities opinions on what it may be.

Currently Im thinking it could be my wheel bearing... any thoughts would be appreciated...

Last edited by Brokenis; 01-13-16 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-13-16, 12:58 PM
OvOxNO
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Brokenis
Hello,

I have encountered a strange noise from my car.

The sound is lIke metal rubbing/or hitting something also metal, it'seems a light sound, metal clinging/rotating sound. It may be coming from the front right wheel.

I cannot hear it on the freeway. I would say that I can hear it quite frequently at slower speeds. Sometimes It would go away momentaril

I tried turning the wheel left to right to see if that had an effect at slower/higher speeds, doesn't seem related, could be wrong.

Before I take this to a shop I want to get the communities opinions on what it may be.

Currently Im thinking it could be my wheel bearing... any thoughts would be appreciated...
Is your TPMS warning light on? This happened to me once before and it was my tire pressure sensor rolling around in my tire. Just an idea.
Old 01-13-16, 12:59 PM
DEWIS350
Driver School Candidate

brake pads need replaced would be my guess. find a quite area with a wall that you can drive along side and roll the windows down and apply the brakes and see if the sound changes, also if you are down to the bare metal you are probably cutting grooves in your rotors.
Old 01-13-16, 01:08 PM
Atticus44
Driver School Candidate

I think I have the exact same noise you are describing, when turning left going over bumps at slow speeds, I hear a metal on metal tapping sound, sounds exactly like 2 coins hitting eachother rapidly and I can't pinpoint where it's coming from, sounds like it's under the steering wheel/column or from my front driver wheel area. I brought my car in but they said to pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from they would have to take my dash apart so I said no thanks haha! That would only cause more rattles! I hope we can solve this issue! I just hope it's not doing damage. If you find anything out, let me know!
Old 01-13-16, 01:43 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Originally Posted by OvOxNO
Is your TPMS warning light on? This happened to me once before and it was my tire pressure sensor rolling around in my tire. Just an idea.
TPMS Seems to be good...not throwing up any lights. BUT to better describe it now, it does sound like something metal is rolling inside my wheels..

Originally Posted by DEWIS350
brake pads need replaced would be my guess. find a quite area with a wall that you can drive along side and roll the windows down and apply the brakes and see if the sound changes, also if you are down to the bare metal you are probably cutting grooves in your rotors.
It's definitely not the brake pads, but it is about time to look at some new ones

Originally Posted by Atticus44
I think I have the exact same noise you are describing, when turning left going over bumps at slow speeds, I hear a metal on metal tapping sound, sounds exactly like 2 coins hitting eachother rapidly and I can't pinpoint where it's coming from, sounds like it's under the steering wheel/column or from my front driver wheel area. I brought my car in but they said to pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from they would have to take my dash apart so I said no thanks haha! That would only cause more rattles! I hope we can solve this issue! I just hope it's not doing damage. If you find anything out, let me know!
I only hear mine on straight roads, have not noticed any significance going on bumps or while turning.

There are multiple threads here regarding a clunking sound going over bumps, which may be your e-brake.

The cable may be tight. If you haven't, step on your ebrake all the way down, release, and do it again a few times. This should stretch the cable a bit.

Last edited by Brokenis; 01-13-16 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-13-16, 02:29 PM
Atticus44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Brokenis
The cable may be tight. If you haven't, step on your ebrake all the way down, release, and do it again a few times. This should stretch the cable a bit.
Ya I definitely saw that post too and have stepped on my ebrake all the way down but still having this strange metal on metal clicking randomly. I've just about given up and just listen to my music louder lol.
Old 01-14-16, 06:34 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a metal on metal noise the dealer couldnt find and it ended up being my exhaust flexing at the flanges singe the use spring loaded fasteners. When i put my axle back exhaust on it went away.

Trending Topics

Old 01-14-16, 07:17 AM
Vitik16
Driver School Candidate

Hi Gents,

I just got my car back.. again. It's been in the shop over 3 months back and forth due to that noise. When you pay 45k for a car you want it to be the same way you got it.

The noise is the strut assembly and the control arm. They were both just replaced by lexus under warranty for my is250. The noise is now gone!
Old 01-14-16, 10:41 AM
Atticus44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vitik16
Hi Gents,

I just got my car back.. again. It's been in the shop over 3 months back and forth due to that noise. When you pay 45k for a car you want it to be the same way you got it.

The noise is the strut assembly and the control arm. They were both just replaced by lexus under warranty for my is250. The noise is now gone!
Hey Vitik16! Glad the noise is gone for you! Could you describe the noise you were hearing? Is it similar to what I described earlier in this thread? Thanks for any info!!
Old 01-14-16, 12:18 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Originally Posted by Vitik16
Hi Gents,

Hello my friend,

This current generation does have a reputation already, but even doing a simple Google search will find you all the negatives that only the people have posted.

Don't let that stuff discourage you, it's still a great car for what it is.

I did forget to mention my car is modded with new wheels and suspension, which I think in my case, is effecting my wheel.

Anybody knowledgeable may have an answer for this?
Old 01-27-16, 06:49 AM
Atticus44
Driver School Candidate

Bump! Anything guys? I'm still hearing this annoying metal on metal rapid clicking (sounds exactly like hitting 2 coins together) when going over uneven roads/bumps. Brought it in and they said to locate exactly where they would have to tear apart the dash... No thx haha! But, I did get my windshield replaced and the sound seemed to start right after that so they also said it could be the windshield ... If anyone has any ideas? Thanks
Old 01-27-16, 08:41 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

post a sound clip!
Old 01-27-16, 06:22 PM
Atticus44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dnasians
post a sound clip!
Ok, I recorded this on the way home, safely driving around my block so don't worry haha! A little hard to hear because of background noise but the sound I am talking about occurs @ 7 seconds, 13 seconds, 16 seconds, 32 seconds and around 44 seconds, basically through the whole video haha!

Thanks for any help or input! I don't want to bring it into lexus and have them tear apart my dash if it's nothing serious, because we all know, it will just cause more rattles lol. TURN YOUR SOUND UP!

Going over bumps while turning left I hear this metal on metal rapid clicking sound, almost sounds like 2 coins tapping eachother and I can't figure out where its coming from!! Sounds like static or a relay clicking! Doesn't seem to happen when I turn right. I rolled the window down and I don't hear it outside, so I'm guessing it's coming from the steering column. Also, I tried turning the wheel all the way left and right and it doesn't make any noise.

Last edited by Atticus44; 01-27-16 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-03-16, 08:59 AM
Atticus44
Driver School Candidate

Bump! Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Old 03-02-17, 09:03 PM
Marcusjis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Atticus44
Bump! Anything guys? I'm still hearing this annoying metal on metal rapid clicking (sounds exactly like hitting 2 coins together) when going over uneven roads/bumps. Brought it in and they said to locate exactly where they would have to tear apart the dash... No thx haha! But, I did get my windshield replaced and the sound seemed to start right after that so they also said it could be the windshield ... If anyone has any ideas? Thanks
Any luck? I just started to hear metal tapping sound or two metal plates clapping. I only hear it on low speeds going over uneven (slightly) surface. I brought it over to the lexus dealership and they said it was the parking brake parts being loose and it would take a couple of hours to fix it. They said the noise was fixed but I could still hear the noise when I got my car back. I am bringing it back to have them look it over...Again.

Quick Reply: Strange metal noise