Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Those do look nice on an IS.
Old 08-15-16, 03:50 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,620 Posts

They look fantastic. I want to do the same. But I am worried about the difference in acceleration, braking etc. The RC200t is often reviewed as feeling very heavy and sluggish compared to the IS200t despite only being 150 lbs heavier. This could have to do with the wheel/tire diameter being larger and heavier.

Conversely, I wonder how much better the car would feel/perform with light weight 18s. The stockf sport 18s are 28 lbs each (wheels alone!)
Old 08-15-16, 04:15 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
They look fantastic. I want to do the same. But I am worried about the difference in acceleration, braking etc. The RC200t is often reviewed as feeling very heavy and sluggish compared to the IS200t despite only being 150 lbs heavier. This could have to do with the wheel/tire diameter being larger and heavier.

Conversely, I wonder how much better the car would feel/perform with light weight 18s. The stockf sport 18s are 28 lbs each (wheels alone!)
I can't speak to the weight of these, but the OEM IS F-Sport Wheels w/tires are about F-50 / R-54 lbs. Unsprung weight makes a difference in acceleration, MPG and ride quality (see below). Going with lightweight wheels - you should feel the difference in steering effort as well.

Great article from Tuner University. It talks about it in layman's terms and the supports the above as true benefits. "Lighter wheels also allow more torque to be available to push the car down the road. Turning a wheel requires TORQUE, so in smaller engines, lighter wheels really do make a difference."

From Wikipedia - "The unsprung weight of a wheel controls a trade-off between a wheel's bump-following ability and its vibration isolation...a lighter wheel which readily moves in response to road bumps will have more grip and more constant grip when tracking over an imperfect road. For this reason, lighter wheels are sought especially for high-performance applications. In contrast, a heavier wheel which moves less will not absorb as much vibration; the irregularities of the road surface will transfer to the cabin through the geometry of the suspension and hence ride quality and road noise are thus worse..."

BTW - I recently got rotary forged wheels and there's big weight savings to be had - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9583836

Old 08-15-16, 07:38 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^^^

You are spot on with the weight savings if you go with lighter wheels over those heavy *** stockers. I lost nearly 35 lbs. total when I went with 19" forged. Steering, braking and the ride got lighter and quicker. And I haven't confirmed it yet but mileage may have slightly improved too.
Old 08-15-16, 08:44 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"You should be going to M.I.T or something!" haha

Originally Posted by goldengame
For the front tires, the difference between stock IS350 wheels (tire 1) and stock RC350 wheels (tire 2) is:

For the rear tires, the difference between stock IS350 (tire 1) and stock RC350 (tire 2) is:

Note that the diameter difference is 5.2%, which means your speedometer and odometer will be 5.2% off.
Old 08-16-16, 11:17 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketG35
I can't speak to the weight of these, but the OEM IS F-Sport Wheels w/tires are about F-50 / R-54 lbs. Unsprung weight makes a difference in acceleration, MPG and ride quality (see below). Going with lightweight wheels - you should feel the difference in steering effort as well.

Great article from Tuner University. It talks about it in layman's terms and the supports the above as true benefits. "Lighter wheels also allow more torque to be available to push the car down the road. Turning a wheel requires TORQUE, so in smaller engines, lighter wheels really do make a difference."

From Wikipedia - "The unsprung weight of a wheel controls a trade-off between a wheel's bump-following ability and its vibration isolation...a lighter wheel which readily moves in response to road bumps will have more grip and more constant grip when tracking over an imperfect road. For this reason, lighter wheels are sought especially for high-performance applications. In contrast, a heavier wheel which moves less will not absorb as much vibration; the irregularities of the road surface will transfer to the cabin through the geometry of the suspension and hence ride quality and road noise are thus worse..."

BTW - I recently got rotary forged wheels and there's big weight savings to be had - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9583836
Oh yeah. No, we all know the benefits of lighter wheels, mass, unsprung, etc.

What I meant was I wonder how our particular cars would feel with lighter wheels. Basically looking for some "Yeah I've done that man and it makes a HUGE difference in handling" type comments from people whove tried on their 3is. I'll go check out your thread.

Tire rack has some 16-18 lb 18x8.5 wheels for our cars. Curious about those. tires are about 25-28 lbs in our size