IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Brakes squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 09:36 AM
bmwlexus09
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes squeaking

I have a 2015 IS250 F Sport with brakes that squeak. First time dealer said can't replicate and suggested hard braking to burn off any residue on rotors. Second time, dealer replace rear brake calipers which resulted in mix match colors of the brake caliper and bracket. Not happy.

Well it's starting to squeak again. Not sure if moisture and or cold has anything to do with it. Washed the car yesterday and as I was moving it down the driveway (small incline) the brakes squeaked as soon as I released the brake pedal. I was able to replicate this several times yesterday.

This morning brakes squeaked as soon as I released the brake pedal. Not on an incline driveway today.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-16, 11:24 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After washing the car a thin layer of rust forms on top of the rotors and as soon as you press the brakes this layer peals off. This is normal, it happens with all of my cars.
Old 03-14-16, 12:41 PM
Imprezario
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your factory Textar-made pads will ALWAYS squeak ) My pads started singing from the dealer's showroom and after 45000 km of running I'm still listening their song. The FSport pads' campound has better initial bite than non-F one, so these pads make some noise and it's kinda "normal", like some track pads do. My dealer's tech man said they tried to replace the noisy pads with the new original ones - and ANY set of fresh pads they used squeaked like the previous ones.
Old 03-14-16, 01:03 PM
TrueDat96
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happened to me last month, so i took it to Lexus of Orlando. It squeaked once in awhile when the brakes are applied, it took the dealership awhile but they were able to replicate the sound, so they put it on the lift and took a look. Later after taking a look they said something about them having to shave down the rotor so they did that and they also gave me new brakes. Ever since then the squeaky noise stopped... hoped this helps
Old 03-14-16, 01:24 PM
tC2IS350
Driver

This has happened to me since the day I bought mine brand new. They only squeak the first couple of times I use them when it's cold outside or when they had salt on them during the winter or when they were wet and dried. So yes, moisture and cold does have something to do with it. It's so infrequent that I haven't said anything to the dealership.
Old 03-14-16, 08:25 PM
bmwlexus09
Rookie

Originally Posted by TrueDat96
I had this happened to me last month, so i took it to Lexus of Orlando. It squeaked once in awhile when the brakes are applied, it took the dealership awhile but they were able to replicate the sound, so they put it on the lift and took a look. Later after taking a look they said something about them having to shave down the rotor so they did that and they also gave me new brakes. Ever since then the squeaky noise stopped... hoped this helps
TrueDat96, what do you mean by 'gave you new brakes'? Do you mean new brake calipers, rotor and pads? Or new brake calipers and pads? Also was it the front or rear brakes?

It's been explained to me before that the F Sport pads are different from the non-F Sport pads. I get the small rust from moisture too but I'm more concern that it might cause damage to the rotors or the brake calipers. I rather get this issue resolved now then have to pay for major damage later after the warranty expires. Plus it's a brand new car but with the squeaking, it sounds like I'm driving a piece of junk.
Old 03-14-16, 08:45 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueDat96
one possible reason for squealing is an uneven surface where the pad is not making good contact with the rotor. This must have been the case with you since it sounds like a simple rotor resurface and new pads fixed the noise.
Old 03-14-16, 08:45 PM
TrueDat96
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They shaved down my rotors, and gave me new brake pads. It was happening in the front.
Old 03-15-16, 07:58 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, that brake squeal is normal. It will happen with almost every car with disk brakes. It will usually be more apparent when the air is more humid and cool, or if it's wet (e.g. after car wash or rain).