IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Moving - Car Transport. Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-16, 09:09 AM
alvaroe16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving - Car Transport. Any Tips?

So my company is moving me from Massachusetts to Kansas and I am getting my car shipped. I considered driving myself, it would be a nice trip with my car, but that is also tons of miles for my lease. Hence, they are shipping it - I asked and they wont ship it in a covered - interior transport. Hence it will be one of those 2 floor car bed transport.

My question to you:

Any tips on what I should do prior to giving them the car? I plan to wash my car prior to make sure we can document the perfect conditions of the paint. I am just worried the car will come with tons of scratches.

Have any of you gone through this?
Old 03-17-16, 09:28 AM
TrueDat96
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your car lowered by any chance? You're making the right move so far by documenting the condition of the car, for sure take some pictures. If its one of those 2 story transportation beds I would try to request to be on the bottom row closest to the truck cabin where thats the spot lease vulnerable to rock chips and what not. You can also purchase a car cover and have it covered during transport, I just took a look online and saw some universal car covers from $25-$70
Old 03-17-16, 01:12 PM
jkhang714
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I have shipped a vehicle from Mn to Ca on a open trailer, the car made it safely with no damages. Took 3 days for the ship. I would suggest to document both sides and front back with pictures if anything. Some transporters can be careless
Old 01-28-20, 12:27 AM
Mittos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my company is moving me from Massachusetts to Kansas and I am getting my car shipped. I considered driving myself, it would be a nice trip with my car, but that is also tons of miles for my lease. Hence, they are shipping it - I asked and they wont ship it in a covered - interior transport. Hence it will be one of those 2 floor car bed transport. Best movers local near me company G&J Moving.

My question to you:

Any tips on what I should do prior to giving them the car? I plan to wash my car prior to make sure we can document the perfect conditions of the paint. I am just worried the car will come with tons of scratches.

Have any of you gone through this?
how did you solve the issue?
Old 01-28-20, 05:15 AM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mittos
how did you solve the issue?
This was his last post, almost 4 years ago.
Old 01-28-20, 05:23 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,687 Likes on 1,784 Posts

It is really unfortunate that people come on these forums to seek advice/help and never remain active to give back to the community - I have received so much feedback and help from forum members and I try and help out by giving advice when I can too.

Mittos - Are you in a similar situation? Looking for advice on how to ship your vehicle in the safest manner?
Old 01-30-20, 10:31 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
It is really unfortunate that people come on these forums to seek advice/help and never remain active to give back to the community - I have received so much feedback and help from forum members and I try and help out by giving advice when I can too.

Mittos - Are you in a similar situation? Looking for advice on how to ship your vehicle in the safest manner?
and...hes gone. Lol.

I agree with you. But alot of people just follow along and read without having ever posts as well.

I dont think I have much to contribute and more so here to learn, but I try when I can. So apologies to all who receive my half-answers and opinions haha.

For example: anyone who does read that and thinks a car cover is a good idea may reconsider. All that wind the cover is brushing against your car the whole trip..no matter how clean your car was likely plenty of fine scratches when it arrives!
Old 01-30-20, 11:20 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
and...hes gone. Lol.

I agree with you. But alot of people just follow along and read without having ever posts as well.

I dont think I have much to contribute and more so here to learn, but I try when I can. So apologies to all who receive my half-answers and opinions haha.

For example: anyone who does read that and thinks a car cover is a good idea may reconsider. All that wind the cover is brushing against your car the whole trip..no matter how clean your car was likely plenty of fine scratches when it arrives!
I would disagree with this to a certain extent. You can buy a car cover with a soft cotton lining underneath so that it doesn't get scratched. Although I'm sure some particles will blow into it from underneath due to the long road trip and potentially cause some scratches, I would definitely cover it with a good soft cotton lined cover prior to shipping it.

I purchased one not too long ago since I wanted to keep my car clean sometimes when I'd park it outside for a few hours after its been washed. Here is a link, I know its sold out now, but I paid around 40 for it I think?

https://www.amazon.com/MATCC-Waterproof-Breathable-Corrosion-199Lx76-7Wx59H/dp/B07DPLM3QB/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=matcc+car+cover&qid=1573965692&sr=8-4 https://www.amazon.com/MATCC-Waterproof-Breathable-Corrosion-199Lx76-7Wx59H/dp/B07DPLM3QB/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=matcc+car+cover&qid=1573965692&sr=8-4

Might want to just give it a try.
Old 01-30-20, 12:49 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,278 Likes on 987 Posts

Still worth discussing. I see factory new car transports with white shrink wrap and cling type plastic to protect vehicles. I agree with the idea that fabric covers will flap and damage the paint if not come off completely during the trip. In the boating industry, heavy duty shrink wrap is used with a heat gun. I think between auto and marine industry, heat shrink plastic is the way to go. It may take a bit of searching to find an "installer" and coordinating it with the hauler. It needs to be wrapped after it's loaded on trailer. At the very least, cling type plastic on the most vulnerable areas will allow the car to be driven on trailer after installation. I'm guessing that an enclosed trailer is cost prohibitive.
Old 01-30-20, 04:36 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

I’m thinking there’s too much thinking going on here. These are not exotic vehicles. You’re going to do more damage to the car in your first week of ownership, than will occur during transport.
I had my IS shipped to me on an open transport, no issues. I had my Jaguar shipped to me on an enclosed transport (but this was in a November through a snow storm, and the MSRP of that car was twice that of the IS).
Old 01-30-20, 04:43 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,687 Likes on 1,784 Posts

But alot of people just follow along and read without having ever posts as well.
I understand that not everyone have lots of free time to spend hours and hours online and talking cars, especially those with families and such. I didn't want to come across as feeling I was giving people a scolding or making them feel guilty for not coming here again....however, they may have that valuable information that is particular to someone that can make a huge difference to them....

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a lot of extremely meaningful information to help but I always try, and I will at least try and make a joke here and there and bring a smile in someone's life with my quirky, twisted and perverted sense of humor as life can be quite stressful
Old 01-30-20, 04:58 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I’m thinking there’s too much thinking going on here. These are not exotic vehicles. You’re going to do more damage to the car in your first week of ownership, than will occur during transport.
I had my IS shipped to me on an open transport, no issues. I had my Jaguar shipped to me on an enclosed transport (but this was in a November through a snow storm, and the MSRP of that car was twice that of the IS).
I treat my BMW the same way as I would a Ferrari if I owned one.

The following users liked this post:
swfla (01-30-20)
Old 01-30-20, 05:15 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS
I would disagree with this to a certain extent. You can buy a car cover with a soft cotton lining underneath so that it doesn't get scratched. Although I'm sure some particles will blow into it from underneath due to the long road trip and potentially cause some scratches, I would definitely cover it with a good soft cotton lined cover prior to shipping it.

I purchased one not too long ago since I wanted to keep my car clean sometimes when I'd park it outside for a few hours after its been washed. Here is a link, I know its sold out now, but I paid around 40 for it I think?

https://www.amazon.com/MATCC-Waterpr...3965692&sr=8-4

Might want to just give it a try.
You are probably perfectly right. You may be able to have a good experience with them with the right product, and $40 is a steal.

Ive read more cons than pros, but I have no experience with using them (based on that).

However in those case my point was not so much car covers In general, it's the wind I was mostly thinking about being in the back of a truck like described. Hours of that thing moving around against the paint in the fast winds...
Old 01-30-20, 05:38 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2

Sorry no, Mittos is a spammer. Anytime there is a thread on transporting cars some damn bot eventually picks it up and does a trick like this which I'll share with you.

Mittos is from Ukraine Republic of Crimea, specifically Simferopol

Some idiot spammer there is paid to find threads like this, bump them with a fake "how did you solve it?" post, then somebody else new comes along "just saw your thread and had a similar experience, here is what I did... I used X transport company. Had a great experience here's a link"

Here's another similar thread that's been necro-bumped twice by his buddies in the Ukraine (now pruned off and closed)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10600579

If you folks see newbies linking and recommending stuff, please report so we can ban with prejudice. I also censor the spammers URL so you may see links that look like *********
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (01-30-20)
Old 01-30-20, 05:44 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

and...hes gone. Lol.

i am new here and i've definitely been doing more reading than posting

a lotta good info and knowledgeable Members on CL

to me, its more about quality than quantity...coming from a Accord, the Accord forums are flooded with the same dang questions about the same exact problems a newbie could just simply SEARCH and find

what happens then is OG Members tend to leave after a few years

luckily the 3rd Gen. is the newest Gen. and every available part isn't there yet but there are companies who definitely support this 3IS

Quick Reply: Moving - Car Transport. Any Tips?