IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

MPG after installing intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-16, 05:55 PM
silkx3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPG after installing intake

I've recently purchase a AFE Magnum Force Intake (part #54-10992) and installed it myself and i've noticed my MPG has been really horrible. Usually its around 20mpg on the highway with the stock intake and now it goes below 10 mpg on the hwy. Anybody else with the same intake or any aftermarket intake experiencing the same problem? Also how accurate is that mpg monitor
Old 03-18-16, 06:21 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I have experienced the same thing on every car I every put an intake.

I believe you may find the lower MPG is in direct proportion to the additional weight of your right foot as a result of the increased sound coming from the intake.
Old 03-18-16, 06:47 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Could it be possible the increasd air intake is telling the MAF sensor to compensate by adding fuel to the mixture so the combustion stroke delivers it's intended power. Seems like something that would be specifically programmed to happen due to fuel-efficiency reasons. It also seems like something that could sludge up an engine faster over time. So, I'd say yes it's because of your high-flow intake. But I'm not an expert, just guessing.
Old 03-19-16, 08:55 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Well the easy thing to do is, put the stock intake back on and see if your mileage improves. If it does, then yeah it might have something to do with the aftermarket intake, but I don't see how it could cause your mileage to be cut in half.
Old 03-19-16, 09:32 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
Well the easy thing to do is, put the stock intake back on and see if your mileage improves. If it does, then yeah it might have something to do with the aftermarket intake, but I don't see how it could cause your mileage to be cut in half.

as I said, the increased sound causes the right foot to be a little heavier, resulting in lower MPG.

it may be conscious or subconscious, but hearing the newly increased roar of the motor does actually cause people to lean on the gas pedal a little more.

the question is: after the newness wears off does one return to their previous driving habits, or does the increased sound result in maintaining the new habit.
Old 03-19-16, 12:15 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Go back and re-check how you installed it. Could be something simple like loose screw or clamp etc... Your mpg shouldn't drop off that much if properly installed or the intake is a poor design.
Old 03-19-16, 01:52 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

lol. an intake mod will not drastically reduce mpg, even if installed incorrectly. intakes have a minimal effect on mpg , if any