IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why i'm probably not buying a Lexis IS

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-16, 09:41 AM
Crew
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aard
If YOU read MY post carefully, I said that I was looking at the 300, which is AWD. The price difference IS over 8K. Try doing builds at lexus.ca and see for yourself.
I was trying to find the $8000 difference.............

Even though you haven't implicitly stated you've spec'd a trimmed 350awd and 300awd similarly, your post reads that way......Either way, it's difficult to believe a IS350 AWD specs out $8000 more than a comparably equipped IS300 AWD----again, with JUST the engine as being different, just as your post reads. ...BTW, I see a difference of about $3300 specing a 300 awd vs 350awd from the website-----again similarly equipped.

Good luck in your new car search.

Last edited by Crew; 03-20-16 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-20-16, 10:01 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If comparing the seats against the C Class you need to look at the IS in Luxury trim, not F-sport trim. Lexus went the BMW route of making the F-Sport seat way too sporty. I like them, but I know they are controversial with some.

@Crew the MSRP base price of the 350 is $8K higher in Canada, but that includes some things that are optional on the 300. The difference shrinks once you option the 300 to be the same. You should be able to negotiate the 350 down even further to close the gap but they'll never fully match it.

Last edited by My0gr81; 03-20-16 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-20-16, 10:43 AM
xellos
Driver

I agree that the mouse control thing is kinda fiddly and not the most intuitive, but I've grown used to it at least. I don't really use the nav that much and usually just rely on my phone instead. Regarding the seats, I've heard of some people not liking them, but for some of those people, it ended up taking a lot of adjusting before they finally got comfortable. I'm not huge, but I'm not really small at 6'2", 200 lbs, and I felt the seats were the best out of all the cars I cross-shopped.

In the end, if the issues you have with the IS are true deal-breakers, then get something else. There are plenty of cars in this segment to choose from.
Old 03-20-16, 11:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I've seen some comments on the seats being not for everyone, but yeah, it's not mentioned a lot. I can't explain it other than to say seats have never been an issue for me in any car before. On the other hand, there are lots of complaints about the mouse control. It certainly true that the Mercedes isn't as sporty, but everything inside the cabin is well designed. That's a much more tangible and everyday benefit. But I doubt I buy it given the reliability reviews.

If I believe the reviews, the best compromise between reliability and overall quality is the Audi A4. It's almost always top 3 in ratings of both. I find it hard to get past how bad they used to be. Years ago, Phil Edmonston, author of the "Lemonaid" books ranking books, once said that the Audi "was the perfect car for a masochist." Ouch.

I realize that criticizing Lexus on a Lexus cite is bound to create some hostility in some people. I am well aware of the concept of cognitive dissonance. But really people, I'm trying to convince myself to buy one. I've always had excellent luck with Toyotas. So don't get so defensive.
Not sure if your post in its entirety was directed at me, but I do not feel that my response was hostile or defensive.

If you feel that the seats and nav interface are that bad then it simply is not the car for you and no one should talk you into it. No harm in that. Declaring the seats and dash design as "a major problem" that Lexus somehow missed and should have been aware of is a bit much, though. Just because they don't fit your body or needs well doesn't mean it's wrong, just that it isn't the car for you.

All that matters is that you find what is right for you. It sounds like the IS is not it. Lots of other good choices to consider.
Old 03-20-16, 11:58 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Is there any way to get around the Lexus problems?
We could only offer you advice if we saw similar "problems". But since we don't see those problems it is up to you to decide if you can get around them.
Old 03-20-16, 12:23 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Why do you say you'd only get the 350? It is almost 8K more expensive and seems to offer little more than a bigger engine, which I don't care about.
I paid exactly $44,000 OTD in cash for my '15 IS 350 and read about lots of people on this forum that paid lots more for both IS 250's and IS 200t, the latter of which is a which is a 4 cylinder vehicle. LOL! The last 4 cylinder vehicle I bought was less than $25,000. But to each their own., I guess. Enjoy your name brand cars.
Old 03-20-16, 01:05 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I just can't get over how horribly uncomfortable seats are. The seats are far too narrow and the bolsters stick into my kidneys, even though I am far from large. How is Lexus not aware of such a major problem?

I also dislike the screen and controls. The screen is too far away from driver eye position. The mouse control is unusable, especially if you are left handed like me. How is Lexus not aware of such a major problem?

The Mercedes C class 4matic is my preferred car in the class, but the reliability rankings are so hot, creating a major conflict. Is there any way to get around the Lexus problems? Can you learn to live with them?
The only problem with the IS, is you. There is no major problem with anything about the car as you seem to keep pointing out, like the world is totally at fault and there is nothing wrong with you.

If you are complaining this much, go buy a german car and whine and ***** over on their forums when the resale value is crap and so is the quality. People come here all the time asking why Lexus isn't doing what the germans do, and they day they do, will be the day I never buy another Lexus. BMW, Mercedes make fast, luxury cars with crappy reliability and poor resale value, but maybe their seats will fit you so there will be that upside at least.

But I doubt that will be enough for you.
Old 03-20-16, 01:32 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't think we should be attacking the OP as he is airing his complaints about the car. They are valid complaints as some people find the car uncomfortable to sit in and many dislike the Nav interface.

It seems the IS is definitely the wrong car for him so we should help him find a more suitable car that fits him. I guess Audi might be the best German alternative as the BMW and Mercedes just have bad reliability.
Old 03-20-16, 03:01 PM
Jskrapper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the op only came here to start a slugfest. When I was in the process of shopping for my new sedan, I frequently visited the corresponding forums of the other choices on my list. Once I made the decision to go with the is350, it never once crossed my mind to go onto the bimmer, infinity, Acura, caddy, or even Mercedes forums to state my reasons for not picking their car as that is the definition of trolling.

I could care less why someone did not buy the exact car that I chose, as a matter of fact I came into this thread just to see why it was two pages in a single day. I should have known haha.

Carry on!
Old 03-20-16, 03:12 PM
ExSrAaron
Driver

The price I paid for my IS350F made up for the minor issues I had with it (infotainment, lack of safety features, and down on power). Almost $150 saving per month compared to the BMW at that time (lease).

I agree with you on the weird infotainment controller though. It's not as easy to use as the rotary systems (BMW, MB, etc) and it takes longer to find/type things in. However, once the NAV is working, it's pretty nice to use IMO. Turn by turn is clearly visible in the instrument cluster and on the main center screen. It would be nice if Lexus updated to a larger screen with better graphics though.

I love the seats in my F Sport, no complaints here. I'm short but have a wider chest and find it comfortable even in 5-7 hr road trips (just did a 7.5hr drive in it 2 weeks ago). I wish they had 4-way lumbar though!

The C-class is very nice car and handles pretty darn well in standard form. If you're not looking for huge power it's great; I have no problem recommending the 4cyl. C300. It's not fast but it's fun to drive and I might even prefer it to the BMW 328 engine. However, I frequent the MBworld forum and the C-class has plenty of small issues too. Wind noise, rattly-loud engine, rough shifting, loose trim pieces, etc. We've got a 2012 GLK350, 2014 IS350F, and a 2014 ILX; all have been extremely reliable since new. Edit: The new Audi A4 should be on the list too, it's starting to show up at dealers now.

Aaron

Last edited by ExSrAaron; 03-20-16 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 03:13 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you say you'd only get the 350? It is almost 8K more expensive and seems to offer little more than a bigger engine, which I don't care about.
The way i see it getting a 350 instead of a 250 is like being a few inches bigger in the pants not necessarily needed but ask your girl im sure she would notice the difference haha whats 8k if your already making the investment.
Old 03-20-16, 04:21 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

"Far from large" yet you can't fit into IS seats?! That's an oxymoron

I'm 6 ft 1 200 pounds and I fit in them
Old 03-20-16, 05:07 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
This statement seems inline with some personal dislikes you have about the car. But continuing your post you upgrade these "minor problems" to "major problems".

Seats are a personal preference, not a "major problem" as each individual finds their comfort differently.

Again, personal preference, as I find the main NAV screen position and distance perfect for being able to keep the road within peripheral view when glancing at the screen for information. Nav info also shows up on the instrument cluster display when route is entered, at least in the non-f sport model. Again, personal preference, but for me, on the Merc, the screen looks stuck on and is too far down and in the middle for me to keep the road within peripheral view.

This one made me scratch my head, as every car in NA has the NAV or infotainment controller on the right. Could Lexus solve this "major issue" by putting the controller on the left?

As others have stated, sounds like you simply dislike the IS, so shop around and get something you like, but asserting these as "major problems" is not quite accurate, not to your personal liking, sure, but "major problems", not so much.

Very well said, I think your points are very valid!!
Old 03-20-16, 05:36 PM
TrueDat96
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole being lefty excuse is not fair, I think that it's just part of life of being a lefty. A car isn't something that you can have a separate model just for lefties, like scissors have.
As for your problems I don't think Lexus "missed" these things, it's just not the car for you, sorry
Old 03-20-16, 08:32 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 488 Likes on 323 Posts

There is no perfect car.
Each car has its strengths and weaknesses.
We must pick the car with the set of strength and weaknesses that suits our tastes best.

I own all three: C Class, old, and new IS250's.
The IS's are fine, but I have spent thousands of dollars repairing my C Class.
Now, my C Class's CD player keeps trying to draw a disc in, when no one is inserting a disc at all; making a clunking noise during the process - I've been reluctant to find out how much it costs for a new OEM disc player and labour.

Quick Reply: Why i'm probably not buying a Lexis IS