IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Considering buying my lease (but haven't rustproofed it)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-16, 06:19 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Considering buying my lease (but haven't rustproofed it)?

Hi all.

Still have 1 year left on my lease but I started looking for a replacement for my IS350 and can't seem to find anything interesting. Love the GS but it's too big for me. Add to that the fact that I took so much care of it in the last 2 years... I really drove it like it was "mine" and got it serviced properly. I have 39000km on it, which is way below the kilometrage allowed by my lease. Now I love my car and don't wanna change it. I'm thinking I might keep it for 3 or 4 more years. But I have 3 things going against me

1) I never rustproofed it because I always thought I'd take it back. I'm worried if I buy it it would start rusting not long after. Is it too late to rustproof it now, after 2 years?
2) I never got any kind of protection against rock chips and my driving is 85% highway, so it's full of rock chips on the bumper and a bit on the engine cover
3) It's RWD so I don't know whether it will be easy to sell a few years later (lose value) (on the other hand, RWD is discontinued in Canada so maybe that will make it gain value)

Opinions? Comments? Suggestions?

Last edited by Aeromotive; 03-26-16 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-26-16, 06:43 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

1. The manual for the car states that rust proofing is not necessary. So don't worry about it. If you are really worried about it, just get it done anyway.

2. The stone chips if there are a lot of them, might nail you on the return, so it might be worth while to keep the car anyway.

3. RWD is still avail, but only with the 200t, but I don't think it will matter in terms of resale later on.. These cars hold their value for a very long time, it might make a small difference to someone who wants an AWD and settles for a RWD which I doubt would happen anyway since there are so many AWDs around
Old 03-28-16, 07:21 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Makes sense, thanks.
Old 03-28-16, 08:30 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts

in the long run, i would lease an AWD IS, just because of the snow in canada and because its more practical in general, plus you can get a new car every 2 or 3 years with a lease
Old 03-28-16, 08:31 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts

and for the rock chips, have a clear bra put on, they work well
Old 03-29-16, 03:14 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Originally Posted by jmull3r
in the long run, i would lease an AWD IS, just because of the snow in canada and because its more practical in general, plus you can get a new car every 2 or 3 years with a lease
The only problem with that and this is just a personal opinion, is with your suggestion, you end up always making payments on a car. The debt follows you forever. I'd rather buy it out and get rid of the debt. Especially in the current market.
Old 03-29-16, 09:16 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jmull3r
and for the rock chips, have a clear bra put on, they work well
Not sure about the clear bra now that the damage is done... I'd need to get the bumper and the engine cover fixed first, maybe even repainted. Only then it will be worth it to put a clear bra. I should have put it the day I got the car, but I never thought I'd want to keep it

Originally Posted by brendanf
The only problem with that and this is just a personal opinion, is with your suggestion, you end up always making payments on a car. The debt follows you forever. I'd rather buy it out and get rid of the debt. Especially in the current market.
What's up with the current market? Please elaborate.
Old 03-31-16, 11:17 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
What's up with the current market? Please elaborate.
As you know the housing market in Canada is mental. Out west people are already defaulting on their mortgages so sooner or later the market is going to collapse and interest rates will go way up. So there is little sense in making payments on a car (an investment that depreciates) for the rest of your life when that money could go to your savings or paying off a mortgage (houses gain in value over time). I live in Toronto and we bought our house for $405k in 2011 and I could sell it right now for over $800k. The market is so over valued and people are over mortgaged.

Anyway that is my thoughts.
Old 04-02-16, 08:04 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Oh, I thought you were talking about the automotive market.
I'm in Quebec... not sure if/when we will be in the same (crazy) situation Toronto and Vancouver are in. Interesting thoughts though, it sure is wise to see it that way.

I'd never keep a car past the warranty, but the IS, with its stone age engine, looks pretty reliable. It could be a good idea to keep it for a few more years, maybe even until the 4th gen!
Old 04-03-16, 06:09 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
Oh, I thought you were talking about the automotive market.
I'm in Quebec... not sure if/when we will be in the same (crazy) situation Toronto and Vancouver are in. Interesting thoughts though, it sure is wise to see it that way.

I'd never keep a car past the warranty, but the IS, with its stone age engine, looks pretty reliable. It could be a good idea to keep it for a few more years, maybe even until the 4th gen!
My plan with any car is to get 10 years out of it to recoup my money. With the reliability of Lexus it should be no problem. By then, electric cars will be more mainstream and costs will be significantly less and that is when I will buy a Tesla or equivalent.
Old 04-03-16, 12:24 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
My plan with any car is to get 10 years out of it to recoup my money. With the reliability of Lexus it should be no problem. By then, electric cars will be more mainstream and costs will be significantly less and that is when I will buy a Tesla or equivalent.
Sounds like a good plan. You can't go wrong with a lexus for longevity. I've never kept a car longer than about 3 or 4 years but this one I want to keep for longer. I'm planning to have it for 10 years and will then probably give it to my son. He'll be turning 16 around then.
I think one of the best things I can do is keep it washed especially in the winter with all the salt they use on the roads. This past winter I got one of those unlimited car wash deals and took it in at least weekly.