IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Metal on metal noise coming from the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 03:03 PM
dontrump
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Metal on metal noise coming from the rear?

Just noticed this today-

When driving in my parking garage, I can hear a slight metal on metal noise. An extreme example would be sharpening a knife on a sharpener, its not as loud or predominate.

-I've checked the lugs, they are secure.

Car has springs and spacers.

Old 03-30-16, 03:29 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dontrump
Just noticed this today-

When driving in my parking garage, I can hear a slight metal on metal noise. An extreme example would be sharpening a knife on a sharpener, its not as loud or predominate.

-I've checked the lugs, they are secure.

Car has springs and spacers.

I recently had the same problem. Initially, the noise would be triggered when applying the brakes, but it later became noticeable even when not on the brakes. It was most obvious when driving in a semi-indoor parking garage where you can really hear the echo from the car.

I had been planning to change my front brake pads to the non f-sport version to reduce brake dust, so I did this before taking it to the dealership. It ended up being the front brake pads and I don't hear anything now. When I removed my original pads, I could see where one of the metal retaining clips was coming into contact with the front rotor.
Old 03-30-16, 04:22 PM
dontrump
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Luisvm
I recently had the same problem. Initially, the noise would be triggered when applying the brakes, but it later became noticeable even when not on the brakes. It was most obvious when driving in a semi-indoor parking garage where you can really hear the echo from the car.

I had been planning to change my front brake pads to the non f-sport version to reduce brake dust, so I did this before taking it to the dealership. It ended up being the front brake pads and I don't hear anything now. When I removed my original pads, I could see where one of the metal retaining clips was coming into contact with the front rotor.
I wanted non f sport pads as well because of the dust. Which pads did you end up going with?

You mentioned you changed the fronts, did it initially sound like it was coming from the rear as well?
Old 03-31-16, 06:23 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dontrump
I wanted non f sport pads as well because of the dust. Which pads did you end up going with?

You mentioned you changed the fronts, did it initially sound like it was coming from the rear as well?
I ended up getting the non f-sport pads for the 3is. I'm really happy with them. Stopping power is still great and brake dust significantly reduced. I ordered them from MyLparts. 10% discount with code CL5. Part number 04465-30510.

It seemed like the noise was predominantly in the front, but it's tricky when you're hearing it in a parking garage with an echo. Do you have a sound clip or a video?