IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Infotainment display anti-glare coating peeling

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-20, 11:19 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieRC
I use the 7oz cans. They last for a good while. I use it on my motorcycle screen, all my visors, gauge cluster, and headlight plastic. As I stated, it goes on instrument face on my RC and all other clear faces. A little goes a long way. Comes in several sizes, plus if you drive a Lexus, what’s 27 bucks for something that works? And no I’m not affiliated with them. It just works.
Does it clear the ones that are peeling already or get it cleaned first before applying plexus?
Old 02-19-20, 11:56 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by babaijebu
Does it clear the ones that are peeling already or get it cleaned first before applying plexus?
I doubt anything is going to mask the anti glare already scratched or peeling.

Curious how much of a difference that product would make being that the issue with this anti glare protector is that its defective to begin with. Not a wear/tear issue necessarily like the other products it's said to help.
Old 02-19-20, 04:26 PM
stbiss
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I just went ahead and bit the bullet and replaced mine on my 2014 IS250 - it was not in horrible shape, but the coating on the sides was starting to degrade. I paid about $64 for the part and I replaced it in about 20 mins. I also reached out to Lexus and asked what they recommended to clean it with so it would not happen again - corporate reply was they recommended any glass cleaner w/o ammonia.
Old 02-19-20, 05:34 PM
CharlieRC
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I doubt anything is going to mask the anti glare already scratched or peeling.

Curious how much of a difference that product would make being that the issue with this anti glare protector is that its defective to begin with. Not a wear/tear issue necessarily like the other products it's said to help.
I didn't state that it would fix an already damaged screen. But, if you find a better product for protecting
clear plastic, as the screen is, enlighten us there sir. Mine was not damaged, but I applied some on it
to protect it in the future. I clean mine with eyeglass cleaner.

Last edited by CharlieRC; 02-19-20 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-20-20, 07:46 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieRC
I didn't state that it would fix an already damaged screen. But, if you find a better product for protecting
clear plastic, as the screen is, enlighten us there sir. Mine was not damaged, but I applied some on it
to protect it in the future. I clean mine with eyeglass cleaner.
I was just submitting an answer to the poster who asked about his damaged screen. I have not used that or any product to protect plastic I'm sure it works great based on your experience.

I also used eye glass cleaner on mine, but It was defective with enough blemishes I simply removed it entirely and left as-is since glare wasn't an issue and nothing touches the screen.
Old 02-20-20, 06:31 PM
CharlieRC
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I was just submitting an answer to the poster who asked about his damaged screen. I have not used that or any product to protect plastic I'm sure it works great based on your experience.

I also used eye glass cleaner on mine, but It was defective with enough blemishes I simply removed it entirely and left as-is since glare wasn't an issue and nothing touches the screen.
Very surprised that you haven't used a product to protect plastic. My instrument cover glass/plastic is not touched either but it works great
on it. As far as experience using Plexus, been around for years, works great on clear plastic and screen coatings of all kinds. Motorcycles and cars.
Old 02-21-20, 06:54 AM
evident
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by LexoDAV
There is an tsb for your Navi screen. The problem why the anti glare coating is coming off is because people are cleaning them to often and to aggressive. Harsh chemical cleaners with microfiber towels will strip the glare coating, my advice is to use watered down cleaners and a lens cleaning cloth. Wipe it down gently. Had mine replaced under warranty and the glare coating came off because of what I wrote. Caution to all!
mine has never been wiped with anything but a dry microfiber towel and it's still peeling. Its just defective
Old 05-31-20, 07:16 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I just bought a 14 IS350 and the screen was Really bad. Found a new Lexus screen on ebay for $67 shipped. The install was incredibly easy. In and out in 30 minutes. Thanks again to CL for helping me save a ton of money.
The following users liked this post:
usmcdad (03-20-23)
Old 04-26-23, 04:46 AM
Lukewarm
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Simple Fix

Hey everyone. I have a 2015 IS 350 that also had pretty bad anti glare coating issues. I bought it used from the dealership that way and found a quick, inexpensive fix.

You can use a microfiber cloth and glass cleaner (or any alcohol based cleaner) to wipe all of the remaining anti glare coating off of the screen. Once my screen was totally cleaned, I installed a photodon screen protector. They make one for the IS and I believe it works on all of the 3IS models. It definitely fit perfectly on my 2015. Here is the link where you can buy: https://www.photodon.com/p/2633-01.html

I got the MXH one and it offers a great amount of anti glare while still being super clear and not distorting what’s on the screen at all.

All in, it was about a $25 fix. Way cheaper than having Lexus replace the entire display.
Old 04-30-23, 05:49 PM
Philionair
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This is going to save you all time, money, and a major headache:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gCJ...nel=Jassi.s197

All you need are make up wipes. This works!
The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (04-30-23)