Wheel rub rear fender liner / arch

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-16, 11:01 PM
TGMcCoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel rub rear fender liner / arch

2014 AWD 3IS

Super Downs RSR(.5" less drop on AWD than RWD)

19x8.5 +41 225/40/19
19x9.5 +44 255/35/19

Reason for the taller tires is ground clearance(function), want minimal wheel gap also. Trying to get the best of both

So, even after research and most of you running 265/30 and 255/30 on 19x9.5 in the rear, I assumed I would be safe.

Well, springs were installed last Friday and wheels and tires were installed today. For some reason the right rear is lower than the other which is presenting some rubbing at probably the most common place for the 3is, the back of the fender arch.

Came back after some searching and what I find is:

Any more suggestions or anyone want to elaborate on the process of trimming or removing bumper tabs? This is not actually my car, but would like to help fix this since i did all the research on the wheels and suspension.

I was also thinking the front could accept a 15mm spacer to flush out, but under the fender looks to have a chunky bumper tab, anything I need to do to this to reduce rubbing after spacer? Thanks all!

Old 04-11-16, 11:25 PM
        specONE
        Racer

Received 501 Likes on 249 Posts

255/30 tire size for 19" is the "right" height compared to stock

255/35 is too tall and will through off your speedo ever so slightly

your front 225/40 on a 19" is way taller than stock size for sure, best to do 225/35

just by looking at your photo of your car, you can see there is more tire sidewall height in the front than the rear
        Old 04-12-16, 01:29 AM
        TGMcCoy
        Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response specONE

Not too worried about the speedo, but more of the ground clearance. That was the goal. But now its the damn fender clearance lol... And now that it seems like there would have been decent ground clearance on the 225/35 255/30, or maybe even 235/35 265/30 I should have done this

But the tires were ordered online and money would be lost shipping back or reselling-- Looking for options other than tire size at this moment to fix this. I havent personally experienced the rub, she told me about it and is worried shes going to break something.

So, do people tuck the liner, remove tabs etc? I was looking for detailed posts for this but haven't found any- maybe not searching correctly
        Old 04-12-16, 07:11 AM
        specONE
        Racer

Received 501 Likes on 249 Posts

Not much you can do in the rear without making a mess. The part that rubs is very close to metal if not the metal arch right where it meets the bumper. Plastic tab I wouldn't touch. There is very small portion of the arch you can try to roll flat that protrude that may touch tires but have to be careful or you will mess up the factory lines.

The front I would just let it run the plastic lining, no harm in doing so there. But you may want to roll fenders flat. I have commonly seen that eventually the tire will catch the fender and pull the lip portion holding lining in place out on lowered cars when turned and going up a drive way. It's happened to me when I first lowered and can see from some other as well when looking at their photos