IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 05:40 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

I think I like the 2014-16 better.

That's too bad, but these things do grow on you over time.

Jeff
Old 04-25-16, 05:52 PM
2015isboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks good.
Old 04-25-16, 05:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Yeah, just when I was getting used to the IS front end, they change it.

IDK, I think I like the '14-16 better too, probably because I am used to seeing it. I like the latest headlights of the other Lexus models with the square design in the headlights, but on the IS, I'm not feeling it....yet. Maybe if they weren't as tall and the brake duct scoops are huge. The rear lower bumper design looks nicer, but I am 50/50 on the taillights. The car does look fresher though. Maybe I just need to see it in white. I am glad they didn't change the wheels.
Old 04-25-16, 06:10 PM
xray8181
Driver School Candidate

where are the heated/ventilated seat buttons??
Old 04-25-16, 06:13 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

I've been holding out on buying the current IS350 because the Navi is just too small and looking at the wasted space left and right makes you constantly wonder why that space could not have been used to increase the size of the screen, finally they took notice....the new Entertainment System screen looks amazing a big upscale to the interior.

These photos are Japan versions so I'm interested in how the U.S. version will look.

Some of my thoughts:

I'm not a fan of the F-Sport since I prefer Luxury Pkg options over all the F Sport flair. I really liked the Non-F Sport grill however making it even bigger I'm not feeling it, I prefer how the Non-F Sport grill looked before this change. I also prefer analog gauges so yeah I'm for the regular IS350.

While the IS350 rear looks ok, the rear of the IS 200t with that added grill between the exhaust looks amazing, I really like that, too bad that look could not have been given to the Non-F Sport model.

I don't understand the need to move the heated/ventilated seats controls from their original position, now all there is is wasted black space there that is dead space, unusable, makes no sense and then to move those controls to the knee bolster area is crazy. So the passenger who wants to flick on the venti seats will have to ask the driver for permission to turn them on, weird idea and weird placement. I don't understand that concept.

Lexus mentions that they increased the grill for both models and larger air intakes on the sides to increase air, but why? It's not to increase hp so I don't understand what the reason for this besides making it look more aggressive. It's getting so wide that soon the whole front end will be nothing but mesh and how well does this mesh look hold up over the years of natures elements on the rough roads and debris. Where are the fog lights for the Non F Sport? I hope this is not removed on the US versions.

Lastly let me just add that I've been looking at the 2016 IS 350's (yet I'd never buy one as the Navi is too small) and it's great to finally see the F-Sports on dealers lots with both Navi and ML however Lexus really penalizes it's customer's who are interested in the Non-F Sport model who want both Navi and ML, they continue to force it's customers to make special orders for that combination. I'm sure the same will apply to the 2017.

Last edited by Xanadu350; 04-25-16 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-25-16, 06:23 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Not sure if it was mentioned but is Lexus introducing engine start/stop tech on this refreshed IS? What else could that button be by the TRAC and Snow button?
That's a good catch. It certainly looks like an auto start/stop defeat button. Might not be for US though
Old 04-25-16, 07:38 PM
Hybred
Driver School Candidate

So the 350 ISF engine remains unchanged, correct?

A new info system, sleeker headlights/rear lights... not really worth holding out for the model I'm thinking.
Old 04-25-16, 09:43 PM
2Marvelous
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am glad I pulled the trigger on getting my F sport a couple of weeks ago.

I have to admit that, at first, I did not like the 2014-2016 version when it first came out. I thought it was way to bold. Then I realized what they were trying to do - dramatically set themselves apart from the other traditional designs. I grew to like and relate to this, ultimately making my purchase to stand out among my BMW and Audi owner friends.

But I think they took L-Finesse to L-Fanatic.

L shaped side intake grills... really? and that big too? I see a chipmunk with cheeks full of nuts. And what's up with the darker toned sleeve insert in the side grills? Looking at it again, it looks like add on cladding that is not on the non fsport.

There is too much function in the predator grill now that they made the intakes to cool the wheels obviously there. It makes the bottom 2 thirds of this grill looks like it is floating/draping down the middle and incomplete. It looks like a hanging fishnet when viewed directly from the front.

On the 2014-16, a silhouette of a front bumper can still be noticed even though the predator grill cuts between. The grill curves around it and the spindle grill even gives us a hint of this with a band under the spindle grill

But now the front of the 2017 Fsport changes shape depending on where you look at it from. It's confusing for me. I am turning my head, not because I think it's bold, but because I'm trying to figure out if it is crumpled or if a square tube should be hanging off the corners.

The curves under the headlights helped the aggressiveness of the design in the 2014-16. On the 2017, they are straight underneath and look subdued instead of bold. The lights straighten out the shoulder line instead of making it look like it's moving fast.

As for the back end, the only thing I don't like is how the triple spooning L sandwich splays upwards as they go over the white backup lights. I wished they stayed together instead of splaying to maintain the shape instead of covering the tail light more . That is a minor detail I can get used to though and is probably safer.

I don't think I could get used to this 2017 Fsport front design nor grow to like it. A predator face is badass because it was a villain we were scared of when we were kids but wanted to see more of as we got older waiting for sequels to that movie. A chipmunk with cheeks full of nuts with a fishnet over it's nose while an air compressor is blowing air into it's face is really... just that.

The 2017 non fsport version does remind me of a different villain... a Cylon from battlestar galactica 1970's version! Badassery element- check!. The chances are better that I would wear this one instead of the 2017 fsport version as most of my gripes don't seem to be in that one. Maybe intentional... hmmmmmmm? Will it have the same Fsport goodies?

I actually like the photo shopped one better but still not as much the 2014-16. I am probably biased because I just bought the 2016 fsport. But why do I feel way more smug instead of regretful for purchasing too soon?

As always beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and this is just personal opinion. I hold no disrespect for the ones who like the new design as I am all for everyone buying these and growing this club.
Old 04-25-16, 10:22 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

This! I have a 2014 and wouldn't regret it regardless. I was kind of hoping for a better design refresh though for the front. Call me biased, but I'm liking my front even more now.

Originally Posted by 2Marvelous
I am glad I pulled the trigger on getting my F sport a couple of weeks ago.

I have to admit that, at first, I did not like the 2014-2016 version when it first came out. I thought it was way to bold. Then I realized what they were trying to do - dramatically set themselves apart from the other traditional designs. I grew to like and relate to this, ultimately making my purchase to stand out among my BMW and Audi owner friends.

But I think they took L-Finesse to L-Fanatic.

L shaped side intake grills... really? and that big too? I see a chipmunk with cheeks full of nuts. And what's up with the darker toned sleeve insert in the side grills? Looking at it again, it looks like add on cladding that is not on the non fsport.

There is too much function in the predator grill now that they made the intakes to cool the wheels obviously there. It makes the bottom 2 thirds of this grill looks like it is floating/draping down the middle and incomplete. It looks like a hanging fishnet when viewed directly from the front.

On the 2014-16, a silhouette of a front bumper can still be noticed even though the predator grill cuts between. The grill curves around it and the spindle grill even gives us a hint of this with a band under the spindle grill

But now the front of the 2017 Fsport changes shape depending on where you look at it from. It's confusing for me. I am turning my head, not because I think it's bold, but because I'm trying to figure out if it is crumpled or if a square tube should be hanging off the corners.

The curves under the headlights helped the aggressiveness of the design in the 2014-16. On the 2017, they are straight underneath and look subdued instead of bold. The lights straighten out the shoulder line instead of making it look like it's moving fast.

As for the back end, the only thing I don't like is how the triple spooning L sandwich splays upwards as they go over the white backup lights. I wished they stayed together instead of splaying to maintain the shape instead of covering the tail light more . That is a minor detail I can get used to though and is probably safer.

I don't think I could get used to this 2017 Fsport front design nor grow to like it. A predator face is badass because it was a villain we were scared of when we were kids but wanted to see more of as we got older waiting for sequels to that movie. A chipmunk with cheeks full of nuts with a fishnet over it's nose while an air compressor is blowing air into it's face is really... just that.

The 2017 non fsport version does remind me of a different villain... a Cylon from battlestar galactica 1970's version! Badassery element- check!. The chances are better that I would wear this one instead of the 2017 fsport version as most of my gripes don't seem to be in that one. Maybe intentional... hmmmmmmm? Will it have the same Fsport goodies?

I actually like the photo shopped one better but still not as much the 2014-16. I am probably biased because I just bought the 2016 fsport. But why do I feel way more smug instead of regretful for purchasing too soon?

As always beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and this is just personal opinion. I hold no disrespect for the ones who like the new design as I am all for everyone buying these and growing this club.
Old 04-25-16, 11:30 PM
JaponesV8
Driver

I like it better, but it's all show little go. Need that V8 back to backup the looks.

Don't want to get stomped by an Accord.
Old 04-26-16, 12:09 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the current IS better. I am not digging the new headlights.
Old 04-26-16, 12:11 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Ugly L-shape boomerang tail light got carried over to IS front end now.

The new Prius is a disaster.
Old 04-26-16, 12:18 AM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by panda327
THIS x10000000

No backup sensor FINE
No foglights FINE

but Come ON what luxury brand does not have memory seat standard these days

even a MAzda 3 have it standard.
I agree. Even Infiniti put them in the premium package on the q50 for 2016, for 2014-2015 it was on the upper deluxe touring package that barely anyone ordered
Old 04-26-16, 05:36 AM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I actually like it. I want to see them in person.
Old 04-26-16, 07:18 AM
BluPhirePB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JaponesV8
I like it better, but it's all show little go. Need that V8 back to backup the looks.

Don't want to get stomped by an Accord.
Wow those things that fast now?! (assuming 0-60 under 5.6 seconds)

Quick Reply: Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS